• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychonauts 2 |OT| Mindraker

MMaRsu

Banned
Fucking super hyped after watching Ben Moore's review just there, was not expecting a 9.5, so excited now, the original is one of favs of all time. Only downer for me personally is I'm super skint right now and 55 quid is more than I've paid for a PC game in a long long while. Might just crack and buy it on credit or something stupid like that but I know I should just wait a few months like a real adult would¹

Anyone got hot steam key deals they can throw my way? No account selling bullshit though, just a proper key.

*desperation* @Karak I'll give you 3 hours of free TV advice in exchange for your review key if you got one and didn't give to a friend already, even if its just boring stuff like "what TV should I buy for my abuelita" I'll give you great advice.

¹ *hears ice cream van and runs outside like a real adult would*
Its on gamepass mate

Oh man, this game is fucking wild. I love it!
Psycho420.jpg

872529c1-57fd-4cac-a23e-f18bca188010_text.gif

Ivan

I know I'm in a minority, but gaf will allow me to say it: I never liked this type of design, humor and general vibe around Tim Schafer's "newer" games. It looks pretentious in a weird way, it somehow gets on my nerves all the time for many different reasons. I can't put it to words, but something about his work bugs me all the time. xD

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Heh, I decided to stay up, as the release date is the 25th of August and it is 22h20 on the 24th here (Brussels). That is, until I saw it only unlocks at 2am.

That's disappointing. The series X is my first X-box console. Is it always like that? On PlayStation you can usually play one minute after midnight, in my experience.
It depends when is a launch, if it's Global Launch like this, you are mostly not going to get midnights in Europe. However if they simply specify "date" than it's from midnight and on the top of that, you can easily switch location of the console (it's in settings, and it's not bound to profile like with X360) to NZ and play the game 6 hours early.

Ev1L AuRoN

I disagree. I'm playing on PC as well, and there's stutters and hitches everywhere when doing things for the first time. It's REALLY disappointing.

Typical UE4 shader compilation hitching.
I'm not far into the game, but I'm not experiencing any stutter. I mean, originally I installed the game on my HDD and I got some severe stutters, the game halt for a sec when it is loading something. I transfered to a SSD and the problem is gone, I dunno if that's your case, I'll investigate today when I get back from work.

Matchew

This game is amazing. I know I probably shouldn't compare the two but Psychonauts has so much more character than Rift Apart did. R&C looked better too, but this has so much more creativity in its art and story. It's incredible.

McCheese

I know I'm in a minority, but gaf will allow me to say it: I never liked this type of design, humor and general vibe around Tim Schafer's "newer" games. It looks pretentious in a weird way, it somehow gets on my nerves all the time for many different reasons. I can't put it to words, but something about his work bugs me all the time. xD

Oh man, I feel like this - but for me it's because they don't acknowledge it's an indy game and act like it's a AAA blockbuster title. Not sure why that irks me, it's a fucking great indy game, but trying to do these bombastic trailers "after 15 years of waiting.." etc etc, no dawg, like 20 people played the last game, it almost killed the publisher it flopped so hard, embrace that shit and be humble.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Oh man, I feel like this - but for me it's because they don't acknowledge it's an indy game and act like it's a AAA blockbuster title. Not sure why that irks me, it's a fucking great indy game, but trying to do these bombastic trailers "after 15 years of waiting.." etc etc, no dawg, like 20 people played the last game, it almost killed the publisher it flopped so hard, embrace that shit and be humble.
What is wrong with hyping your games? i prefer this over triple A stuff like AC or avengers getting overly praised by payed youtubers in sponsored streams.

Maybe the trailer is directed towards those 20 people who actually waited 15 years to play the sequel? i don't think M expect to sell 20 milions copies for this one...

At least this seems to be an ACTUAL good game and not like my examples...

(and i don't give 2 shits about psychothingy 2)

Last edited:

McCheese

What is wrong with hyping your games? i prefer this over triple A stuff like AC or avengers getting overly praised by payed youtubers in sponsored streams.

Maybe the trailer is directed towards those 20 people who actually waited 15 years to play the sequel? i don't think M expect to sell 20 milions copy for this one...

At least this seems to be an ACTUAL good game and not like my examples...

(and i don't give 2 shits about psychothingy 2)

Oh it's great, but it's a niche game just like the original, it's not a generically great platformer, it's an acquired taste type of game. People just wanting to collect stuff and bash heads are going to bounce off this pretty quick. thinking about it, maybe there is no harm in throwing a lot of promotional £ at this due to it being on Gamepass now, but my general concern is that they are doing what Shenmue 3 did and overestimating how many people actually want something due to how vocal the tiny fanbase are, which will set unrealistic expectations, then sub-par sales numbers and then another 15 year wait for the next game.

Like they released a follow-up to Psychonaughts a few years back, remember that? no? nobody does! (was a really good VR game).

Last edited:

GymWolf

Oh it's great, but it's a niche game just like the original, it's not a generically great platformer, it's an acquired taste type of game. People just wanting to collect stuff and bash heads are going to bounce off this pretty quick. thinking about it, maybe there is no harm in throwing a lot of promotional £ at this due to it being on Gamepass now, but my general concern is that they are doing what Shenmue 3 did and overestimating how many people actually want something due to how vocal the tiny fanbase are, which will set unrealistic expectations, then sub-par sales numbers and then another 15 year wait for the next game.

Like they released a follow-up to Psychonaughts a few years back, remember that? no? nobody does! (was a really good VR game).
Yeah but once again, this looks like a very good game, shenmue 3 was not.

It's far worse when you are hyping your game well knowing that it's utter trash.

For anyone that wants, there is an option to make Raz do more damage letting you breeze through the combat.
I tried it and it was way too easy. There is also a invicible option. Have not tried that yet.
Im at a point that you have to constantly switch Psy abilities. you can only put psy abilities on the trigger and bumpers so only 4 at a time.

Ev1L AuRoN

I disagree. I'm playing on PC as well, and there's stutters and hitches everywhere when doing things for the first time. It's REALLY disappointing.

Typical UE4 shader compilation hitching.
I try it briefly with the rivatunner overlay and I did indeed see some minor spikes when entering a new area, but they are single frames I honestly don't percieve it playing but yes, I guess you are right. But I find the game very smooth overall. Of course again I realize that is a minor part of the game but my experience isn't as bad as you describe.
My Rig is not even that powerful.

Ryzen 5 3600XT Stock
32Gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz
Msi RTX 2060 6Gb
The game is installed at my old 1tb Sata SSD.
I suspect that if I limit the fps to 60 I can get rid of those spikes...

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
  • Psychonauts 2
  • The Ascent
  • Ratchet and Clank
  • Returnal
  • Resident Evil 8
  • Monster Hunter Rise
  • Metroid Dread
  • Forza Horizon 5
  • Halo Infinite (maybe?)
Off the top of my head. It will still be a debate I'm sure.
Of those, Returnal and R&C are the only ones I think are really gonna be in that conversation. Ascent is like a 7/10 game and everything else is predictable sequel fodder, not the kind of stuff that is going to get GOTY buzz.

Of those, Returnal and R&C are the only ones I think are really gonna be in that conversation. Ascent is like a 7/10 game and everything else is predictable sequel fodder, not the kind of stuff that is going to get GOTY buzz.
I haven't picked yet, but so far Ascent is my #1 and is way better than 7/10 to me. Still gotta play Psychonuts Deux though, and Forza, and a few others lol. I don't usually agree with people on this stuff, so I'm not expecting I will this year either. I just pick what I enjoy the most.

I'm leaving every level missing some stuff. Feel like these levels don't lend themselves to repeat visits. Is it fun/easy to go back and collect missing stuff?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I haven't picked yet, but so far Ascent is my #1 and is way better than 7/10 to me. Still gotta play Psychonuts Deux though, and Forza, and a few others lol. I don't usually agree with people on this stuff, so I'm not expecting I will this year either. I just pick what I enjoy the most.
Obviously individual tastes may vary I am more talking about the critical consensus at the end of the year and all of the subjective and unfair biases involved in that. I just don't see a game with a 73 on Metacritic getting a lot of GOTY awards, nor a nearly annualized series like Forza.

Like Lone Echo II might end up being a better game too but there's no planet in which a VR exclusive with not much media coverage wins game of the year.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Loving it but performance sucks on PC Game Pass.
Put the framerate limit to your refresh rate of your screen. I was playing the game on a 60hz tv, and Rivatuna wa saying i was getting a locked 60fps, but it looked very stuttery when turning the camera. Went into settings and saw the framerate limit was on 240hz i believe, so changed that to 60 and the game was silky smooth.

As for the game itelf, played about 90mins, and i can certainly recognize the genius of it, but its just not for me. I have outgrown these kind of games, unfortunately.

Anyone have problems with cloud saves? I have a few hours and a couple save slots on my console, but trying to play on cloud and PC, it syncs to an earlier save at the beginning of the game with one slot save.

Top Bottom