• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Publisher rejects game, dev sends salty reply and publishes it on Facebook

kulapik

Thank you Mrlion for your translation, I'll put it on the OP. You still will have to suffer it on the other responses :p

Someone doesn't take rejection very well.

Basically a big fuck you to every editor (publisher?) out there.

Doesn't seem smart to burn potential bridges you may have found very lucrative later on in your career, at that company or at another.

Almighty

Talk about needlessly burning bridges over nothing. Guy gets told that the publishers doesn't see a place for that game in their lineup and then proceeded to yell something along the lines of "Yeah fuck you. I don't need you anyway."

To me sounds like Koch dodged a bullet there.

The worst thing here is that they didn't even gave him a typical PR answer. They gave him which looks like a real reason here.
BTW, there's another thing catching my attention here, it seems that some publishers might no be fond of PS+.

Well, I know Iwata doesn't think highly of sales and the flood of titles. Nintendo I think honestly believes it is devaluing videogames. Part of the reason why even older titles from Nintendo never get huge Steam like sales.

Seanspeed

Banned
Embarrassing. And suicidal. May as well pack things up now. He's broadcast to the world that he's got the maturity and professionalism of a 10 year old. Not only will no one want to work with him, but good luck finding a job within the industry and he should also consider himself lucky if no one digs this up for any normal job he applies to in the future.

Jacqli

I am reading all the comments on that Facebook page and... it is sad and amusing at the same time.

Koch Media gave a correct answer (and pretty logical) so this fuss is maybe just a way to obtain attention because I have never heard about them until now. And their project seems to be far from completed.

This is just silly. My attempt at translating one of the comments:

Spidey, I choose what is right and wrong at home, and of course I post whatever I want. People have to know that's it the way it is and I won't be the one that hide and let it happen. I confront. Because I will suffer from bad conditions and the catalog later and I am not arsed to shut up.

Those of Koch Media have been wandering to answer my email one month later and during that time, I've opened my eyes to self-publishing, acclaimed and possible in the new generation that comes along with the new consoles, but their behaviour and their slackness really piss me off. There won't be any editor to get in our faces because we will do both the cooking and the eating, and finally we will open up a market in this fucking country based on importation and where there is no gaming culture. There is a huge lack of inversion to new entrepreneurs and a huge lack of trusting to new hardworking teams with great ideas. Nobody will tell us what to do and what not to do.

I don't give a shit about who is that man, as if he were King of Spain.

And I will business suicide a thousand times before being a fucking donkey.
I5jWBRO.gif

mclem

What the hell is happening? Is this some viral marketing ploy?

I am wondering if it's a misguided "Find fault with the publisher model" -> "Publicly bemoan flaws with the publisher model" -> "Make tons of money using crowdfunding from that particular contingent who are all about sticking it to the publisher model" plan that really isn't fully understanding of quite how all that works.

Ulumsk

I guess he better hope self-publishing works for them sa I doubt any publisher will want to work with him at this point. Not sure it's the greatest charm offensive for a kickstarter either.

Sakujou

Banned
dude, this is really unprofessional.

he maybe could have done that after releasing his game with his team, bein successful.

bad PR already before even hitting the shelves?

iam still salty about phil fish, but this guy triumphes it all. he takes the cake.

holy crap.

Motwera

Banned
And obviously, he is on some kind of NDA that won't let him tell anybody that he had the game on Facebook, still states the gam is coming -_-

Awwwwww shit, more Internet drama.

And Jesus Christ, start small. That's one of the biggest Ideaguy pitches I've seen considering how small the team is.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Someone hook him up with shahid or something. I am sure shahid will want it out on the vita.

It's one thing to be pissed off at a publisher. I can understand that, and especially in the Indie scene publishers aren't quite as necessary as before, but

BUT

BUT

To wash your dirty laundry in the open like that is just downright pathetic. The Koch media rejection was pretty clear cut. They didn't believe in the project. Listed a few good reasons why and raised honest concerns about the devs ability to provide them with a product that can compete in between F2P, free PS+ and XBLGold games.
It shows that Koch Media actually researched the viability of the proposed project, and instead of taking the response as a well meant advise to think about the projects scope/goal/market, the dev throws a tantrum that isn't just unprofessional, but deeply embarrassing and deluded.

I feel sorry for the other team members, gonna be hard to work in this field when associated with an egomaniac like that.

p3tran

Banned
And I will business suicide a thousand times before being a fucking donkey.

for me to judge if this is a magnificent quote to remain in the centuries, or a spoiled kid's response to a "nope",
I need to see the game he was pitching.

Bravocado

Just looking at how he reacted to publisher rejection, I can hardly imagine what his response would be if his game released to poor sales and harsh reviews.

Jezbollah

This must be the developer version of an embarrassing X-Factor audition and the subsequent disbelief in rejection by the panel.

spwolf

i dont get why should first publisher you ask publish your game. If everyone went beserk every time business proposal did not go through....

Icarus

I love how some people think that just anyone can find success in the games industry with an idea and a dream. Sadly though, that's not how it works and publishers are still huge marketing launch pads and finance systems.

Anyone who says publishers (the big ones anyway) are no longer needed, truly doesn't understand how this business works regardless of the proliferation of digital distribution and open platforms. They're right that they're not required, but the chances of success working with one, relative to others who have worked alone are many, many times higher.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
huh. i dont understand why he isn't being touted as "brave" and "going against the system." doesn't the industry need more people like this to move it away from a publisher-based business?

just because he's using some foul language doesn't really mean much. if anything, it actually helped him because now people are paying attention to him.

mclem

huh. i dont understand why he isn't being touted as "brave" and "going against the system." doesn't the industry need more people like this to move it away from a publisher-based business?

just because he's using some foul language doesn't really mean much. if anything, it actually helped him because now people are paying attention to him.

There's treading the path less travelled, and there's publicly announcing that the other path is beneath you then defecating on it.

Top Bottom