• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pushsquare “Solid Xbox Showcase Should Give Sony Some Incentive to Stop Being So Damn Cloak and Daggers About PS5, PS4”

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Big Brother Popcorn GIF by Pop TV

Yeah the last PS Showcase did disappoint a lot of people, but I think it might be a tad premature to say Sony really needs to step up based on what Microsoft has shown so far. The reason is because we don’t even know if most of those games Microsoft showed off will even be good or fulfill their promises and do we even have release dates on most of them yet?

I don’t like Sony’s current direction, but I feel we should at least wait until those XBOX games come out before declaring they are truly competiting. Also, if the XBOX contingent don’t support these new games, what good is it then?

That’s the point though, Sony isn’t struggling so they don’t feel any pressure to show stuff they don’t feel like showing.

Everything’s relative. If Switch sales suddenly started to dwindle when the Ps5 launched I bet Nintendo would react and put out more stuff. Switch would still have been a huge success even if it started to slow at 77M units sold back in 2020. But if sales slowed down due to the competition back then I’d definitely say that they’d be struggling, despite being immensely successful.

I get you and, yeah, I would agree. PS5 is smashing records, no need to show all their cards of current yet. I kind of feel the May showcase was more so for shareholders/investors considering it was focused on GaaS/live-service 1P-wise and I'm sure many of them were wondering what Sony's response would be to something like the ABK acquisition.

It could also have been a 4D chess move type of thing if you really think about it: maybe Sony want to consider a couple big acquisitions but would need a reason to get shareholders on board. Having a showcase that some members of the gaming community thought was weak could be leveraged in convincing shareholders of such a move, if they needed extra. That may be a more extreme read but it's never not a possibility.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Seems like Sonys gotten too complacent, and it’s made them boring. But that being said, sony has proven themselves with games this generation, even if they are light on news. Ms however has yet to really do that. Hopefully these games move xbox consoles so sony feels some kind of pressure to stop dragging their feet on announcements

"Getting", not gotten. They are currently in that space though. They still have time to turn things around and to start caring for their audience again. But we all know Jim Ryan hates gamers, so..... I'm at the point where I'm rooting double hard for Xbox, just so Jim Ryan can wake the hell up!

I get you and, yeah, I would agree. PS5 is smashing records, no need to show all their cards of current yet. I kind of feel the May showcase was more so for shareholders/investors considering it was focused on GaaS/live-service 1P-wise and I'm sure many of them were wondering what Sony's response would be to something like the ABK acquisition.

It could also have been a 4D chess move type of thing if you really think about it: maybe Sony want to consider a couple big acquisitions but would need a reason to get shareholders on board. Having a showcase that some members of the gaming community thought was weak could be leveraged in convincing shareholders of such a move, if they needed extra. That may be a more extreme read but it's never not a possibility.

No way in the world could this be true. That's giving Jim Ryan waaaaaaaaaaaay too much credit.

Last edited:

Bond007

The Xbox event wasnt a big deal. People are aching for a comeback- and they may have a good game in Stafield to buy em sometime. But the trend has been that Xbox is lite on exclusives and until there is a steady annual stream- nothing has been proven. Just a few days ago the story was XBOX failing and going under, now we have Starfield gameplay and Sony needs to counter? Hardly.

I own all current consoles- i just go where the games are at, at any given moment. For me personally, it aint Xbox atm.

Last edited:

Gojiira

Such a weird double standard here; Both showed similar stuff, both finished off with extended looks at their big holiday offers, both "hid" multi-platform titles among the exclusives, both overused cinematics and "in-engine" footage in lieu of gameplay, what's the diff?

The only thing I noted was Sony showed more titles (to the extent they could hold over FF7r part 2 for Keighley's showcase) with a heavier emphasis on online multi-player over their usual offer.
Pretty much, though Id say the big difference was Xbox showing more first party titles.
BUT having said after 5-6 years of literallynothing.jpeg from Xbox its about time they had SOMETHING but even so they still showed so little gameplay.
On top of that I really think people forget that Sony has quite a few Third Party exclusives over the next 6-8 months, some of which are extremely anticipated like Rise of the Ronin, FF16 and FF7R, Stellar Blade etc etc on top of first party games like Helldivers 2, Spiderman 2 etc, in such a short period of time there is a lot releasing, they can afford to hold back First Party titles until the slate is less busy.

Wooxsvan

Gameplay of Marathon and Fairgame will do nothing for me. The concepts of those games interest me 0. Other than a new Bloodborne or Wolverine I dont know anything Sony is making that im interested in coming up.

Topher

Gold Member
The Xbox event wasnt a big deal. People are aching for a comeback- and they may have a good game in Stafield to buy em sometime. But the trend has been that Xbox is lite on exclusives and until there is a steady annual stream- nothing has been proven. Just a few days ago the story was XBOX failing and going under, now we have Starfield gameplay and Sony needs to counter? Hardly.

No, Sony doesn't need to counter. Sony needs to put on a kick ass showcase regardless of what Xbox does. Sony didn't do that. Their showcase was horrible. For myself, this is the first time in a really long time that I'm not confident in Sony's first party output. I'm hopeful my doubts are wrong. But as a PlayStation customer, I shouldn't have to hope. These showcases are supposed to inform, not leave everyone guessing.

Gameplay of Marathon and Fairgame will do nothing for me. The concepts of those games interest me 0. Other than a new Bloodborne or Wolverine I dont know anything Sony is making that im interested in coming up.

That's pretty much where I am as well.

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
You guys really want Sony & Microsoft to go back to showing games 4 years before they're ready to be delayed?

Sony spent the last year and a half releasing a bunch of first party AAA games, so they're in a lull now. Microsoft hasn't released shit for the last 2 years, so of course they have a lot to show.

Be happy that you have something from Microsoft when Sony hits a lull and vice versa.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Pretty much, though Id say the big difference was Xbox showing more first party titles.
BUT having said after 5-6 years of literallynothing.jpeg from Xbox its about time they had SOMETHING but even so they still showed so little gameplay.
On top of that I really think people forget that Sony has quite a few Third Party exclusives over the next 6-8 months, some of which are extremely anticipated like Rise of the Ronin, FF16 and FF7R, Stellar Blade etc etc on top of first party games like Helldivers 2, Spiderman 2 etc, in such a short period of time there is a lot releasing, they can afford to hold back First Party titles until the slate is less busy.

Absolutely. In my opinion its all about release cadence, and Sony have done a very good job over the last few years of getting that into a sweet spot where major releases are far enough apart that they seem meaningful, but frequent enough that they always have a "next thing" to push.

"Winning" showcases is not going to translate into more revenue and more users if momentum isn't maintained, or just results in flurries of releases that spike Gamepass subs for a few months.

To be fair to MS, what they are aiming for is not an easy thing, especially coming off what amounts to their back foot due to years of spotty publishing.

My issue with the showcase was that although they absolutely did the right thing by pushing Starfield as hard as possible, if that game wasn't in your wheelhouse there wasn't much else there to get excited about unless you were already bought-in to their platform/ecosystem.

Top Bottom