• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Q about PS3/360 hdtv output.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
What if I, or rather someone I know, has an HDTV... but its in a 3:4 aspect ratio. Will the new Sony and Microsoft consoles display right on my "friends" tv set? Would he still get the full detail?

Personally, I dont' like the widescreen format... simply b/c 95% of televisio programming in in 4:3... and not likely to change anytime soon. How are they gonna go back and reformat old episodes of "Iron Chef"??

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
I posted this in another thread, but it applies here too..

Here is how I envision it:

*insert developer here* makes a game that runs at 1280x720p/60fps...

You buy you game at your favorite retalier and insert it in you lovely new X360/PS3

When you first turn on your systems, you will go to your "settings" menu which will have options to set the time, date, timzone, aspect ratio of your tv AND the resolution and whether or not it is an NTSC or PAL display..

Once done, save your settings and the hardware will do the rest :)

The X360 has a "resize filter" that can be setup (via a menu) the output resolution and aspect ratio to match your buddys display...

The PS3 will be able to do the same thing but they will probably call it a scaler.....don't know what exactly is diffrent about the X360 resize filter, though....sound like a scaler to me..

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Hmmm, that does sound nice. Much better than the situation for TV programming, in which... if you have a widescreen, all old programming is stretched or letterboxed... of you have a 4:3, all HDTV programming is letterboxed. Not to mention some local stations will broadcast mixed Digital SIgnals, some HD in widescreen... some HD in 4:3.

Top Bottom