• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Q1/Q2 on Nintendo Switch SUCK - Learn how to pace, Nintendo

Switch' Q1/Q2 are ...

• Total voters
This will be mostly a rant, but it's based on facts.

The first half of the year on Switch SUCKS -hard. With the exception of its launch year, Nintendo appears to completely give up on the first 6 months.

In 2018, we got shitty 2d-platformers. In 2019, we got a shitty 2d-platformers and an expanded Wii U-port (Mario Maker 2).
And now 2020 is shaping up to be the same: A shitty censored port and Animal Crossing that's certainly not for everyone.

This shit is frustrating and needs to stop. And: No, if a game releases in June, it does NOT make the first half great! That's the most technical of technicalities. "But Fire Emblem released at the end of June!" - why, perfect! That means the near-6 months of nothing until then don't count, huh? HUH? Fucking fanboys/shills arguing *against* their own interest ...

2018 was terrible for 1stjparty releases anyway (there was Smash and ...?), and 2019 wasn't great either (FE, AC, LA and LM3, each kinda underwhelming). But even if Nintendo released 10 BotWs in Q3/Q4, it wouldn't make it a great year when you leave the first 6 months to die!

I really hope I'm wrong about 2020 and the January Dirct announces good things. Until then: Fuck this shit! And fuck fanboys excusing it 🙄🙄🙄🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

This is what an ok first half would look like:

January: censored TMS
February: Pikmin 3, Brain Training
March: Animal Crossing
April: Xenoblade Chronicles DE
March: Famicom Detective Club
June: Fire Emblem Remake Collection

That'd be ok. Not great, because it's mostly old games. But it'd be ok. However, I can already see this abominable shit come true:

January: censored TMS
February: nothing
March: Animal Crossing
April: Brain Training
May: nothing or small shit
June (end of month): Xenoblade Chronicles DE

:/

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
1. Super Mario Maker 2 is not a port, but a complete successor. Including a full story mode of Nintendo-made levels.
2. Yoshi's Crafted World is not shitty (neither is DKCTF or NSMBU, but they are ports)
3. Your OK first half year is total shit, a bunch of ports and Animal Crossing. Might as well not release anything at all.
4. Nintendo's output on Switch indeed sucks, particularly in Q1/Q2.

1. Super Mario Maker 2 is not a port, but a complete successor. Including a full story mode of Nintendo-made levels.
2. Yoshi's Crafted World is not shitty (neither is DKCTF or NSMBU, but they are ports)
3. Your OK first half year is total shit, a bunch of ports and Animal Crossing. Might as well not release anything at all.
4. Nintendo's output on Switch indeed sucks, particularly in Q1/Q2.

2d platformers are shit per se. Especially if they're so generic as Yoshi and Kirby. Get over it, Yoshi (ohhh, it's family, I understand ... 🐧).

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Nintendo’s historically not given much care to Q1/Q2, they put all their eggs in the Q4 basket to finish the year strong to show off to their shareholders. Rinse and repeat.

With that said I expect them to be very, very about the last three months.

Nintendo’s historically not given much care to Q1/Q2, they put all their eggs in the Q4 basket to finish the year strong to show off to their shareholders. Rinse and repeat.

With that said I expect them to be very, very about the last three months.

Very, very what? Apples? Oranges? 🤷‍♀️

mcjmetroid

Ya I've accepted the fact that the switch won't be played the next half of the year. Hopefully something gets announced to fill the gap but I've found myself losing interest and going full PS4 again.

I want more games like Mario Odyssey breath of the wild: games with ambition.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
What kind of an analysis is that?

1) You forgot to mention Brain Training (out everywhere except US)

2) Nintendo does Directs to showcase games for the upcoming 4-5 months we haven't had it yet so at least wait for that!

3) Historically Nintendo doesn't care about January and February all that much because numbers will prove they are the slowest months on Nintendo consoles even when they have big releases. This is a good period to catch up with all the 2019 releases. Sony and Microsoft have slow months too (usually the summer)

4) Animal Crossing is a huge release for them potentially >10+ millions seller

Also Super Mario Maker 2 2D shitty platformer? Was that a joke or what?

Last edited by a moderator:

mcjmetroid

2) Nintendo does Directs to showcase games for the upcoming 4-5 months we haven't had it yet so at least wait for that!

3) Historically Nintendo doesn't care about January and February all that much because numbers will prove they are the slowest months on Nintendo consoles even when they have big releases.

I'm not making any rash decisions yet but the last time we didn't know anything that was coming for the coming year was 2 years ago 2018 and that was a rough year besides Smash Ultimate and thankfully some fantastic Indie games.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not making any rash decisions yet but the last time we didn't know anything that was coming for the coming year was 2 years ago 2018 and that was a rough year besides Smash Ultimate and thankfully some fantastic Indie games.

I'm not expecting 2020 to be as good as 2019 because 2019 had a LOT of games, honestly way too many.

Think about exclusives like Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 few days before Fire Emblem, or Daemon X Machina released in a month with Link's Awakening, Dragon Quest XI S and many multiplatform (as always on September).

Or even Ring Fit Adventure could have been saved for 2020 considering they announced it in September and out in October.

Use this month to catch up on those games, like I said the other platform holders do the exact same, just in the summer, while Summer are great months for Nintendo.

Anyway a month with Brain Training and TMS Encore (censored but has story new contents) is not Bad imo, same with March if they put something else outside AC.

March 2018 had freaking Kirby, and I love Kirby but it's not AC.

Last edited by a moderator:

3) Historically Nintendo doesn't care about January and February all that much because numbers will prove they are the slowest months on Nintendo consoles even when they have big releases. This is a good period to catch up with all the 2019 releases. Sony and Microsoft have slow months too (usually the summer)

Also Super Mario Maker 2 2D shitty platformer? Was that a joke or what?

1.) I mention Brain Training, wtf

2.) Nintendo actually usually announces all the big games of the year in their January Direct. And smaller ones, too. But how does that change 2018 and 2019?!

3.) Nobody gives a shit that Nintendo doesn't care about the first half of that year. Other systems get FF7R and Cyberpunk 2077 in the se time. And don't you dare screach 'b-but 3rd party', yeah, MS and Sony get AAA-support from 3rd-parties, Nintendo doesn't, thus they ought to provide big 1st-party games.

4 ) This isn't about sales.

Use this month to catch up on those games

How about Nintendo leaves that decidion to me? "Based Nintendo granting me time to catch up" - are you trolling?

You sound like a total Nintendo-fanboy. Wow. Absolutely shameless.

Edit:
I'm not expecting 2020 to be as good as 2019 because 2019 had a LOT of games, honestly way too many.

Omg. Welcone on my ignore-list. "not as good as 2019" - 2020 would need to be atrocious for that to be true.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
I don't understand the point of a thread, that is clearly intended to bait people into "defending" Nintendo, where the OP does not want discussion but just wants "I agree with you completely, a lot, a little or I'm a Nintendo fan boy".

It's a poorly disguised troll thread and nothing else.

"2d platformers are shit per se."
Yeah I'd much rather play some weak anime JRPG garbage and pretend it's a good game because there's cartoon tits on the screen sometimes.

"You sound like a total Nintendo-fanboy. Wow. Absolutely shameless."
Like I said. trolling, clickbait, thread designed for the OP to set other posters up to insult them and then, I assume, put them on ignore.

I'm glad Tokyo Mirage Sessions was censored because the entertainment value of watching you fucking Lego-eaters losing your minds over a few cartoon women is priceless.

Was that the kind of response you were looking for OP?

Saruhashi

Banned
switch is an indies machine imo

i agree this upcoming year looks kinda weak.
expecting a new direct soon though, hopefully they announce more shit

I think the logic is that indies are not "real" games.

What gets me is that anyone, on gaming forums, who buys a Nintendo console at this stage surely knows what they are getting themselves into?
You're gonna get one or two big releases in a year and the rest of the time you are either going to play from your backlog or you are going to go to Playstation or Xbox or PC for your gaming.

I mean, when was the last time Nintendo had a stacked year of high quality games? 2017? When was the last time before that? Probably the Gamecube days?

They'll most likely have a direct in February and then we'll see what's what but i do not think it will be stronger than 2019.

I don't understand the point of a thread, that is clearly intended to bait people into "defending" Nintendo, where the OP does not want discussion but just wants "I agree with you completely, a lot, a little or I'm a Nintendo fan boy".

It's a poorly disguised troll thread and nothing else.

Wtf?!
I'm criticizing Nintendo's release schedule and you call it 'bait' - how much of a fanboy can you be?

Ofc I will call someone a fanboy who says 'Nintendo gives you time to catch up' or 'i don't expect 2020 to be better than 2019'.

You can choose to discuss normally or ignore the thread. But it's you, you've been following me in many threads and always shit on what I post. Politely: fuck off.

What gets me is that anyone, on gaming forums, who buys a Nintendo console at this stage surely knows what they are getting themselves into?
You're gonna get one or two big releases in a year and the rest of the time you are either going to play from your backlog or you are going to go to Playstation or Xbox or PC for your gaming.

"It's ok that it's bad because it's always been bad" - what a terrible argument.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned

Think about exclusives like Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 few days before Fire Emblem, or Daemon X Machina released in a month with Link's Awakening, Dragon Quest XI S and many multiplatform (as always on September).

Or even Ring Fit Adventure could have been saved for 2020 considering they announced it in September and out in October.

Use this month to catch up on those games, like I said the other platform holders do the exact same, just in the summer, while Summer are great months for Nintendo.

Anyway a month with Brain Training and TMS Encore (censored but has story new contents) is not Bad imo, same with March if they put something else outside AC.

March 2018 had freaking Kirby, and I love Kirby but it's not AC.

I think one of the things that you need to consider is when those games were announced compared to when they released.

Fire Emblem was known since very early on. I think it didn't get a proper announcement until June 2018 (at E3)? Then the launch didn't happen until a year later.
Marvel UA3 was announced at game awards 2018 and then doesn't release until July 2019.
Daemon X Machina was also announced at E3 2018 and didn't release until much later.

So I'd be asking what we've been shown so far because that's likely what will be out in 2019.

I think Astral Chain, Mario Maker 2, Links Awakening, Pokemon and Luigi's Mansion 3 were all announced and released in 2019?
So it's likely they have some surprised to go but these would be more than likely Q3 and Q4 releases.

I dunno.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
1.) I mention Brain Training, wtf

2.) Nintendo actually usually announces all the big games of the year in their January Direct. And smaller ones, too. But how does that change 2018 and 2019?!

3.) Nobody gives a shit that Nintendo doesn't care about the first half of that year. Other systems get FF7R and Cyberpunk 2077 in the se time. And don't you dare screach 'b-but 3rd party', yeah, MS and Sony get AAA-support from 3rd-parties, Nintendo doesn't, thus they ought to provide big 1st-party games.

4 ) This isn't about sales.

How about Nintendo leaves that decidion to me? "Based Nintendo granting me time to catch up" - are you trolling?

You sound like a total Nintendo-fanboy. Wow. Absolutely shameless.

Edit:

Omg. Welcone on my ignore-list. "not as good as 2019" - 2020 would need to be atrocious for that to be true.

This is absolutely all about sales, Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony place their games throughout the years based on what they have and the goal they promised for the fiscal year.

There are a number of wrong facts in your posts, you only quote parts of my post and twist it completely.

1) Nintendo doesn't do big January Direct in a loong time, i'd argue it's not a thing this gen.

No January Direct.

There was a live event where they had to show the system - not a Direct

January had a Mini Direct with i believe only 10 games, the only new reveal was Mario Tennis Aces.

Nothing in January.

Maybe they'll do it this year, i'm expecting it to be in February just like last year considering Brain Training and TMS#FE ARE enough for the month.

2) So go play on the other systems, when Nintendo released Super Smash Bros Ultimate the others had nothing, when Nintendo released Fire Emblem Three Houses the others had nothing. That's how it works in the industry, they do NOT all compete for the same months.

Nintendo has their slow months in January-February, Sony and Microsoft in June-July.

Well if you think 2019 was not good to great, considering the amount of releases (more exclusives than PS and Xbox) and the quality of most of them, then sell your Switch right now. This console is not for you.

Saruhashi

Banned
Wtf?!
I'm criticizing Nintendo's release schedule and you call it 'bait' - how much of a fanboy can you be?

Ofc I will call someone a fanboy who says 'Nintendo gives you time to catch up' or 'i don't expect 2020 to be better than 2019'.

You can choose to discuss normally or ignore the thread. But it's you, you've been following me in many threads and always shit on what I post. Politely: fuck off.

OK stop shoveling crayons into your mouth for a moment and consider how the thread looks to others.

Yeah you are criticizing Nintendo's release schedule, cool.

Your "poll" options are basically:
Strongly agree with OP
Agree with OP
Agree with OP somewhat
or
I am a Nintendo fanboy give me a job Nintendo.

So yeah, you are trolling.

"Fucking fanboys/shills arguing *against* their own interest"
Just trying to have a conversation though right?

"Fuck this shit! And fuck fanboys excusing it"
Uh huh. Not bait at all. Just an innocent "criticism".

I don't mind the trolling to be fair but if you are going to dish it out then you need to be able to take some back.

That's where you fail. You come in all Billy Big Balls and then as soon as someone gives you a little bit back you're off crying through mouthfulls of Crayola like a little bitch. You want to call people fanboys for having a different opinion then you can sure as shit take some stuff back in the other direction.

Last edited:
OK stop shoveling crayons into your mouth for a moment and consider how the thread looks to others.

Yeah you are criticizing Nintendo's release schedule, cool.

Your "poll" options are basically:
Strongly agree with OP
Agree with OP
Agree with OP somewhat
or
I am a Nintendo fanboy give me a job Nintendo.

So yeah, you are trolling.

"Fucking fanboys/shills arguing *against* their own interest"
Just trying to have a conversation though right?

"Fuck this shit! And fuck fanboys excusing it"
Uh huh. Not bait at all. Just an innocent "criticism".

I don't mind the trolling to be fair but if you are going to dish it out then you need to be able to take some back.

That's where you fail. You come in all Billy Big Balls and then as soon as someone gives you a little bit back you're off crying through mouthfulls of Crayola like a little bitch. You want to call people fanboys for having a different opinion then you can sure as shit take some stuff back in the other direction.

You're an assturd. Go troll elsewhere.

Saruhashi

Banned
"It's ok that it's bad because it's always been bad" - what a terrible argument.

No. It's neither good nor bad. It is what it is.

This is the way it has always been with Nintendo. At least since the Gamecube days.
Unless you want to count the never ending stream of garbage shovelware that came to the Wii.

They strategically place their releases to maximize their sales. That's how businesses operate.

They aren't sitting around thinking some randomers on the internet think there should be multiple big releases every month and they shouldn't be 2d platformers, cos those are rubbish, and they should be full of cartoon tits, cos that's what the cool people like these days.

I think "use the time between releases to catch up on backlog or play some games you've never tried before" is pretty sound advice.

I don't see who a constant stream of new, big, games actually satisfies besides those who have the money to buy them all and the time to play them all.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
The switch is not a primary game machine. It’s never going to have the games you want. By the numbers Nintendo rehashes, ports and cookie cutter Mario spin offs? Sure!

Checked in for Zelda. Checked out immediately thereafter.

see you next Metroid.... and then see you never again because the switch is a shit games machine.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
All I care about is where you heard Pikmin 3 was being released on the thing because I had 2 separate copies of the damn game and could never progress past the first level because my Wii-U hated the game.

For me I don't mind. I have a lot of stuff to play currently and don't need new games right now.

Trials of Mana releases in April so I can wait until then.

Nintendo can't satisfy everybody and I feel sorry if you're one that isnt excited for what they have, but it is what it is.

I'm talking strictly 1st-party. I have stuff to play. Currently finishing Disgaea 5. Hatsune Miku hopefully releases no later than March. And Trials of Mana is a get, too, if it releases uncensored.

But it doesn't excuse Nintendo's abysmal release politics.

The Switch had in its first 9 months:
- BotW
- Skyrim
- Odyssey
- Xenoblade 2

It built an audience for these big games. But since then, nothing.

RealGassy

Banned
LMAO, but... but what about Brain Training?
How about that! That changes EVERYTHING.

Q1 2019 was shit? But what about BoxBoy + BoxGirl!?
- BotW
- Skyrim
- Odyssey
- Xenoblade 2

You got pwned mate.
You thought you're gonna get steady stream of good games on Nintendo platform? Ouch!

If you're lucky something good might come out in Jul/Aug 2020. Maybe. Like a 2D platformer with a level editor or something.

Shaqazooloo

I'm talking strictly 1st-party. I have stuff to play. Currently finishing Disgaea 5. Hatsune Miku hopefully releases no later than March. And Trials of Mana is a get, too, if it releases uncensored.

But it doesn't excuse Nintendo's abysmal release politics.

- BotW
- Skyrim
- Odyssey
- Xenoblade 2

This seems very confused and i'm not really sure why you're complaining. It's not like Sony and Microsoft have a constant stream of first-party titles coming out monthly and their are a few open world games coming out this year for Switch. Also if you're complaining about strictly first-party releases then why did you include Skyrim here?

One more thing, I agree with S Saruhashi about your OP. Seems like a straight up troll.

Loved how you called 2D platformers crappy, Super Mario Maker 2 an expanded port and that FE: Three Houses and Luigi's Mansion 3 were underwhelming...

I'm giving you the benefit of doubt that you aren't trolling and that it isn't intentional, but your OP does not give me confidence of that being the case.

Last edited:
I dunno, there were quite a few games released for Switch in Q4 '19 and I'm sure a chunk of Nintendo's customers (read: kids) are still catching up on the games they got for Christmas. I understand if not everything is to your tastes though. 'tis the beauty of multi-system gaming.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
2d platformers are shit per se. Especially if they're so generic as Yoshi and Kirby. Get over it, Yoshi (ohhh, it's family, I understand ... 🐧).

763651.jpg

OutrageousLies

Last edited:

Smasher89

Yea, last year was the weakest output so far, so weak sony joined in and didnt even attrnd e3(which were before nintendo released its first game that wasnt worse than the wii u version(looking at yoshi without the 2 char i controller option).

Expectations is very very low right now but i guess money from first half of the year can go to a powerful screen for my pc setup instead.

This seems very confused and i'm not really sure why you're complaining. It's not like Sony and Microsoft have a constant stream of first-party titles coming out monthly and their are a few open world games coming out this year for Switch.

MS and Sony have brandnew AAA 3rd-party games. NiNintendo does not. 1st-party and 3rd-parties don't hold the same value on each system. You'd be dishonest to imply otherwise

Also if you're complaining about strictly first-party releases then why did you include Skyrim here?

It was a significant release that nobody had expected prior to its release and it was close to the release of the pS4/One-version. It was part of what promised the kind of games Switch would get. Also don't get hung up on it, the point would remain the same with the other 3 titles.

Loved how you called 2D platformers crappy, Super Mario Maker 2 an expanded port and that FE: Three Houses and Luigi's Mansion 3 were underwhelming...

I played FE, AC and LA, they were all underwhelming. Underwhelming doesn't mean bad, but these weren't great games. FE got super boring after finishing it 2 times and having to do it 2 more times. AC just wasn't that good and had shit story+ disturbing lack of voice acting. LA is my favorite 2D-Zelda, but I finished it in 6 hours, including the color dungeon I had never played before. Mario Maker 2 is MM1 Extended, no idea why that's controversial. 100 levels made by trainees on the side I guess? And LM3 I haven't played, but LM2 was so bad I'm done with the franchise and the focus on multiplayer is super off-putting.

So you see how much of a 'troll' I am. I'm not.

I'm giving you the benefit of doubt that you aren't trolling and that it isn't intentional, but your OP does not give me confidence of that being the case.

I'm sick and tired of Nintendo's release politics. And it irks me even more when I read the Nintendo Direct thread on resetera and everyone there acts like there was no 1st-party drought in 2018 and 2019 and how expecting more than ... *that* is expecting too much. Expecting 3-4 big games, paced diligently throughout the year is no insane expectation. It ought to be the bare minimum. But here we are and a Q1/Q2 filled with old ports and Animal Crossing is being praised. Kms

Shaqazooloo

MS and Sony have brandnew AAA 3rd-party games. NiNintendo does not. 1st-party and 3rd-parties don't hold the same value on each system. You'd be dishonest to imply otherwise

Of course, but do the other 2 get monthly big games all year round with 3rd party included?

It was a significant release that nobody had expected prior to its release and it was close to the release of the pS4/One-version. It was part of what promised the kind of games Switch would get. Also don't get hung up on it, the point would remain the same with the other 3 titles.
So Doom (2016) and Doom Eternal don't count as big 3rd party games because...? And if it's just open world games then why doesn't The Witcher 3 and Ubisoft's Gods & Monsters count?

I played FE, AC and LA, they were all underwhelming. Underwhelming doesn't mean bad, but these weren't great games. FE got super boring after finishing it 2 times and having to do it 2 more times. AC just wasn't that good and had shit story+ disturbing lack of voice acting. LA is my favorite 2D-Zelda, but I finished it in 6 hours, including the color dungeon I had never played before. Mario Maker 2 is MM1 Extended, no idea why that's controversial. 100 levels made by trainees on the side I guess? And LM3 I haven't played, but LM2 was so bad I'm done with the franchise and the focus on multiplayer is super off-putting.

So you see how much of a 'troll' I am. I'm not.
... I don't want to respond to this... but i'll just ask: Why do you think your opinion is objectively correct? Because this is what you seem to believe since you say 2019 wasn't good because these games were underwhelming. Maybe other people really liked those games and it made 2019 a fantastic year for them?

I'm sick and tired of Nintendo's release politics. And it irks me even more when I read the Nintendo Direct thread on resetera and everyone there acts like there was no 1st-party drought in 2018 and 2019 and how expecting more than ... *that* is expecting too much. Expecting 3-4 big games, paced diligently throughout the year is no insane expectation. It ought to be the bare minimum. But here we are and a Q1/Q2 filled with old ports and Animal Crossing is being praised. Kms
I don't like Animal Crossing, but other people do, it's a big Nintendo franchise that's quite popular, you can't dismiss it just because you don't like it.

Last edited:
rXHnRBk.jpg

Username and Avatar checks out. The Anifa avatar kills it for me. :LOL:

Well played.

To be fair though, you shouldn't be angry at Nintendo as they have a tradition of not releasing stuff for months before the Nintendo Monsoon consumes us all By September

Jason28

Has a tiny dick and smaller e-peen
NS is good as a portable / secondary device. As a primary device, it's a piece of shit.

Of course, but do the other 2 get monthly big games all year round with 3rd party included?

I never said monthly. I said 3-4, aka 1 per quarter. MS/Sony get big titles in thst frequency. Nintendo doesn't.

And if it's just open world games then why doesn't The Witcher 3 and Ubisoft's Gods & Monsters count?

One isn't out. And Witcher 3 is a super old port. Skyrim Remaster was more timely. But as you said, neither Skyrim nor W3 are 1st-party. It doesn't change the point.

... I don't want to respond to this... but i'll just ask: Why do you think your opinion is objectively correct? Because this is what you seem to believe since you say 2019 wasn't good because these games were underwhelming. Maybe other people really liked those games and it made 2019 a fantastic year for them?

If someone thinks

Fire Emblen 3H
Astral Chain
Links Awakening
Luigi's Mansion

equal

Breath of the Wild
Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade 2

then I'm not interested in their opinion. Sorry, but the difference in quality and ambition is so overly striking.

I don't like Animal Crossing, but other people do, it's a big Nintendo franchise that's quite popular, you can't dismiss it just because you don't like it.

I'm not dismissing other people's enjoyment. But it's unacceptable that for those who are not into AC, nothing releases.

Btw you keep dismissing that ai made this thread to complain about Q1/Q2 of 2018 and 2019. Am I wrong here? Don't think so.

Enjay

Banned
Even 1st party titles (except for Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey) are lacking this time around. Even Smash Bros looks outdated now unless you wanna spend more money to unlock the half of the game they took all of last year to release.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I'm only looking forward to Xenoblade in the first half of 2020. It works out ok because I will be busy with FF7R and Cyberpunk.

Saruhashi

Banned
So do indie games just not count or what?

For example, I am playing Ashen just now and it's awesome (I play mostly handheld, especially at this time of year when I am away from home).

Am I out of my mind for thinking that the system is absolutely loaded with awesome games?
My Friend Pedro. Katana Zero. Cadence of Hyrule. Blasphemous. Valfaris.

Is there something about those games that makes them not worthy of consideration?

What criteria does a game have to meet before we are saying "OK this can be held up as an example of a valid quality release on this console"?

Shaqazooloo

I never said monthly. I said 3-4, aka 1 per quarter. MS/Sony get big titles in thst frequency. Nintendo doesn't.
Fair enough, Misunderstanding on my part.

One isn't out. And Witcher 3 is a super old port. Skyrim Remaster was more timely. But as you said, neither Skyrim nor W3 are 1st-party. It doesn't change the point.
You were including 3rd party's earlier so I figured Gods & Monster's deserved a mention since it's a big 3rd Party open world game. Why doesn't count in your desire for Nintendo to have big open world games and 3 or 4 big games releasing every year? 3rd Party games are games too.

If someone thinks

Fire Emblen 3H
Astral Chain
Links Awakening
Luigi's Mansion

equal

Breath of the Wild
Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade 2

then I'm not interested in their opinion. Sorry, but the difference in quality and ambition is so overly striking.
... So you expect Nintendo to come out with 2 games that are some of the best games of all time every year?

Also... again, you used a 3rd party game.

I'm not dismissing other people's enjoyment. But it's unacceptable that for those who are not into AC, nothing releases.

Btw you keep dismissing that ai made this thread to complain about Q1/Q2 of 2018 and 2019. Am I wrong here? Don't think so.
I think you're half right maybe, Nintendo's current pacing seems to be medium and small titles for Q1/Q2 then starting around E3 they ramp it up to big titles frequently.

I think we disagree on whether the medium and small titles have any value (especially Wii U ports) and whether Animal Crossing counts as a big title, because otherwise you'd actually be asking Nintendo to release more big games then what you're saying.

Last edited:

Herr Edgy

You are a couple years late OP. Saying this for years. 2017 wasnt good either considering BotW was the Wii U Zelda that got a Switch port. Every console so far got either 2 exclusive Zeldas or 1 exclusive and 1 port. Wii U only had ports. I still liked 2017 for XC2 but that's due to my own tastes, the year wasnt good.

I used to be passionate about criticizing Nintendo until I got used to the fact that they just aren't good anymore. I buy Nintendo for their rare good releases and don't think about the number of ports and 2D platformers they develop anymore.

Shaqazooloo

You are a couple years late OP. Saying this for years. 2017 wasnt good either considering BotW was the Wii U Zelda that got a Switch port. Every console so far got either 2 exclusive Zeldas or 1 exclusive and 1 port. Wii U only had ports. I still liked 2017 for XC2 but that's due to my own tastes, the year wasnt good.

I used to be passionate about criticizing Nintendo until I got used to the fact that they just aren't good anymore. I buy Nintendo for their rare good releases and don't think about the number of ports and 2D platformers they develop anymore.
2 of the best games of the past decade release on Switch= Not a good 2017 for Switch? lol

Edit: Also, "rare good releases" . Ok buddy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom