• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Leap - Season 6 Premieres September 19th

ManaByte

Synopsis:
“It’s been 30 years since Dr. Sam Beckett (Scott Bakula) stepped into the Quantum Leap accelerator and vanished. Now a new team has been assembled to restart the project in the hopes of understanding the mysteries behind the machine and the man who created it.”

Bellisario and Deborah Pratt are back producing it, and it's being run by people from Gotham.

Kind of getting Team Knight Rider vibes from this though.

ManaByte

So, they’re out searching for the TV show we’d actually want to watch?

Back when the SyFy channel produced stuff like BSG, Bellisario's plan for the follow-up was a series where Sam's daughter went into the accelerator and began leaping and searching for Sam with Al's help. At one point it was going to be a SyFy series and then a movie. Bakula said the rights to it have been a nightmare for years, and now that Al's gone the show really seems to be a Team Knight Rider thing. There's a team in the Quantum Leap facility being led by Ernie Hudson who's playing Herbert "Magic" Williams, who was who Sam leaped into in the second part of The Leap Home. And Raymond Lee is the guy leaping in the show.

FunkMiller

Back when the SyFy channel produced stuff like BSG, Bellisario's plan for the follow-up was a series where Sam's daughter went into the accelerator and began leaping and searching for Sam with Al's help. At one point it was going to be a SyFy series and then a movie. Bakula said the rights to it have been a nightmare for years, and now that Al's gone the show really seems to be a Team Knight Rider thing. There's a team in the Quantum Leap facility being led by Ernie Hudson who's playing Herbert "Magic" Williams, who was who Sam leaped into in the second part of The Leap Home. And Raymond Lee is the guy leaping in the show.

Eh. I’ll give it a go… but I’m not expecting much.

ManaByte

Eh. I’ll give it a go… but I’m not expecting much.

It's modern NBC. Expect the worst. Some people are really going to rail against it because Mason Alexander Park (Desire in The Sandman) is one of the members of the Quantum Leap team led by Ernie Hudson's character.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
There's gonna be a real importance to loads of scene's with the team and their life and not just have the new guy and the hologram get on with it.
I can just tell...

Quasicat

Er…. Where the fuck is Sam Beckett?
ZDqw23L.jpg

😢

Quasicat

I hope the first episode ends with them finding Sam and then he's the main character from that point on.
It just wouldn’t be the same without Al. The two had such amazing chemistry together on set, it will be very difficult for NBC to capture that again.

Last edited:

ManaByte

So, this is a continuation of Quantum Leap. Yay! This was what I wanted. I was hoping it was not a reboot.

It is, but again this is modern NBC doing it. Still, I like that one of the main characters is someone Sam leaped into in one of the bigger episodes from the original series. So there's a direct connection to him.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Raymond Lee is only 35, how is he supposed to be leaping back to find a guy already gone for THIRTY YEARS and is leaping back for his lifetime? That's only a 5 year overlap, tops.

Guess I should watch the trailer, maybe it answers this question.

I'll enjoy that is undoubtedly going to be ultra progressive modern values being constantly faced with repressive ancient ones. This concept seems unworkable in the modern era, TBH.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Huh, the "history can be changed" bit tells me there will be time travel shenanigans with future alteration repercussions which NEVER makes for a good story in Hollywood. At BEST you get a bad BttF rip-off with fading photographs, at worst you have another Butterfly Effect of increasingly poor decisions with an inability to ever settle for "eh, seems good enough", usually wrapped around the death/attempt to prevent the death of a parent/spouse/kid that the protag NEVER moves past the grief stage. Lingering 'Fear of a Trump Planet' in the minds of damn near every writer today also gives me pause that any "we can change the future!" is gonna get mired in trying to replay 2016-2020 politics.

IIRC was there EVER a good explanation for why Beckett had to "fix what was wrong" or whatever the leap hook was? Was there ever a downstream time alteration? I vaguely remember some "bad leapers" and some future time stuff filtered through Al but as a kid I was 100% invested in his past time travel rather than the logic of it all (I'm sure that show would drive me bananas today).

GloveSlap

Quantum Leap is a top 3 show for me so i'll give it chance. I don't have high hopes however.

I was happy how the original show ended though. One thing i didn't really like about the original was the evil leaper saga. I always found that pretty cringey.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
That's literally the plot of EVERY SINGLE EPISODE of all five seasons of the original Quantum Leap.
Yeah, but it never pays off with like a massive alteration of the future, right? Every episode was pretty encapsulated with a specific "wrong made right" or whatever. I'm talking about a more serialized show where multiple leaps back and forth showing the effects of intraepisode changes as part of a larger narrative.

TBH it's been so long since I've seen an episode I'm not sure I remember even half of the "story"of it versus just the weird set-ups they would have (like the oft referenced down syndrome or when he is a different race [gender even?]).

ManaByte

Yeah, but it never pays off with like a massive alteration of the future, right?

No a lot of them had some big changes. Specifically for Sam where he stopped his brother from dying, completely changed Al's life in the finale, and stopped Oswald from killing Jackie along with JFK. The whole point of every episode was to change the future.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Yet another sequel/reboot whatever. I can't wait for the new SeaQuest show.
cHktGPA.jpg

Hey, it worked for Battlestar Galactica!

But we really should be focusing on rebooting BAD shows. I want a gritty serial cat killing Alf that pimps out the teenage daughter, Misfits of Science that threaten the world, Automan in a totally digitally connected future, an Airwolf helicopter protecting us from drones, StreetHawk....well, let's leave him as is except add Manimal to the team.

No need to reboot Miami Vice, that is still great to watch. Same with Magnum P.I., Sliders, or Xena.

jason10mm

Gold Member
No a lot of them had some big changes. Specifically for Sam where he stopped his brother from dying, completely changed Al's life in the finale, and stopped Oswald from killing Jackie along with JFK. The whole point of every episode was to change the future.
Huh, well shows what I remember then. So they were taking ahistorical timelines and putting them back to "our history"? How do I not remember this?

Carry on....

ManaByte

Huh, well shows what I remember then. So they were taking ahistorical timelines and putting them back to "our history"? How do I not remember this?

Carry on....

They had a rule for the first three seasons where Sam wouldn't really leap into anyone famous, but there were some adjacent leaps like where he inspired "Stevie" to write about a killer car. But in the final season he leaped into Elvis and helped Elvis get discovered, Marilyn Monroe's chauffeur to make sure she didn't kill herself before her final movie, and then the JFK episodes. The series always had a different future than reality and the things Sam was changing were aligning it to real history.

jason10mm

Gold Member
They had a rule for the first three seasons where Sam wouldn't really leap into anyone famous, but there were some adjacent leaps like where he inspired "Stevie" to write about a killer car. But in the final season he leaped into Elvis and helped Elvis get discovered, Marilyn Monroe's chauffeur to make sure she didn't kill herself before her final movie, and then the JFK episodes. The series always had a different future than reality and the things Sam was changing were aligning it to real history.
Ahhh, yes, that seems familiar.

Anyway, with todays focus on serialized content I'd be very surprised if they kept it episodic and self-contained instead of foisting fourth cousinon his mothers sidean elaborate future storyline on to it and minimizing the amount of "past" content, even if they stick from 1985 to now or however they are gonna do it.

I bet we can already predict who they will mess with.
Steve Job('s personal assistant)
Jeff Bezo('s neighbor)
Tu Pac('s fourth cousin on his mothers side)
Charlie Sheen (in the "very special 'don't do drugs, kids" episode :p
Princess Diana('s paparazzi, oh, WOULD THEY DARE!!!)

Krathoon

What is obnoxious about Quantum Leap is that you have some jackass taking your place and screwing with your life.

They never really explained if what they were doing was good. It just got Sam to leap again. It was really kind of selfish.

Trunx81

Yet another sequel/reboot whatever. I can't wait for the new SeaQuest show.
The first season wasn’t actually THAT bad. Just a bit boring and dull, but the Science Fact idea brought something new. Until they scrapped all that and brought Poseidon and Aliens on the table.

Just make a new series just around the talking dolphin. And Stacy Haiduk. You know what? Scrap the dolphin.

Kagey K

Banned
Haven't watched the trailer, but with the rule in the first show about it being in your lifetime are we going to be leapng through the 80s/90s/00s now?

Dr.D00p

This will only work if they make it its own thing, just trying to recapture the magic of the OG series will not work and will just disappoint those looking for that.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The first season wasn’t actually THAT bad. Just a bit boring and dull, but the Science Fact idea brought something new. Until they scrapped all that and brought Poseidon and Aliens on the table.

Just make a new series just around the talking dolphin. And Stacy Haiduk. You know what? Scrap the dolphin.
Best part of Seaquest is when that kid, hottie Stacy, and IIRC one of the tough guy bridge officers were stuck in an underwater cave and thought they were sure to die. Stacy then offers herself to the boy so he wouldn't die a virgin. Fuck yeah 'Murica! :p

It's ep 10, season 2, "Dead End".

About 26:30 on this vid.

Last edited:

Trunx81

Best part of Seaquest is when that kid, hottie Stacy, and IIRC one of the tough guy bridge officers were stuck in an underwater cave and thought they were sure to die. Stacy then offers herself to the boy so he wouldn't die a virgin. Fuck yeah 'Murica! :p

It's ep 10, season 2, "Dead End".

About 26:30 on this vid.

Stacy quit after one season, that’s Kathleen G. Evison. Still a good catch, didn’t remember this.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Stacy quit after one season, that’s Kathleen G. Evison. Still a good catch, didn’t remember this.
Yeah, this was around the Wesley Crusher era as well when shows dealt with teenagers a bit differently. I can only imagine if the genders were reversed and a dashing male officer offered to sleep with a 16-17 yo female crew member as a parting gift for self-sacrifice :p

Imagine telling Ernie Hudson on the set of ghostbusters 2 (in 1989, the year quantum leap came out), that he would star in the reboot series in 2022.

Last edited:
Top Bottom