• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question about Silent Hill 2 (pc version)

cuccoo

Does the US release include the extra game (like in xbox and PS2 GH)?

How about the European's Director's Cut? Does it include even more extras?

Solid

I dunno about the US version but the PAL one has the extra chapter (according to retailers).

Director's Cut Features:
• Explore a blood-curdling brand new bonus scenario never seen before!
• Control Maria for the first itime.
• New areas, weapons and items.
• Enhanced graphics and lightning effects.
• Graphic resolutions up to 1600x1200.

cvxfreak

The U.S. one has the chapter.

Silent Hill 2 also crashes at the end of the hospital section, so you might need a patch from Konami.

cuccoo

does the crash apply to both version or just one? I have access to both, so if one of them does not crash, I'll get that version.

cvxfreak

I think they both do...

Silent Hill 2 was really meant to be played on a PS2 (and to a lesser extent, an Xbox). The PC itself isn't at fault but the inadequate port job of Konami. Same goes for Silent Hill 3.

cuccoo

yeah i know there's bound to be some issues with porting. I've played the PS2 version, but I just to get the high res and enhanced graphic that pc version can offer. plus I can get it cheap for the US version ($10), and a bit more for euro version. I'll just get the US version then.

lordmrw

I'm currently playing through the PC version of Silent Hill 2, and I never experienced the glitch in the hospital. I'm at the hotel on the lake right now. Only real problem with it is that its inhumanly dark; I have my brightness jacked all the way up (in game and monitor) and its still too dark sometimes. I also have Silent Hill 3 for PC but it might be a decent bit before i jump into it.

maskrider

cuccoo said:
Does the US release include the extra game (like in xbox and PS2 GH)?

How about the European's Director's Cut? Does it include even more extras?

US X-BOX SH2 Restless dreams =
PAL X-BOX SH2 Inner Fears =
Japan X-BOX SH2 Saigo no uta =
US PS2 SH2 Greatest Hits =
UK PS2 SH2 Director's Cut =
Japan PS2 SH2 Saigo no uta =
US PC SH2 =
UK PC SH2 Director's Cut

For PC versions, you have 2 more extras, movie player and save anywhere.

cvxfreak

Just for the record, all Korean Silent Hill 2 games are equivalent to the PAL versions except they're on a 60Hz Korean TV frequency. I'm not sure if Silent Hill 2 for PC was released in Korea but the PS2 version is so.

maskrider

CVXFREAK said:
Just for the record, all Korean Silent Hill 2 games are equivalent to the PAL versions except they're on a 60Hz Korean TV frequency. I'm not sure if Silent Hill 2 for PC was released in Korea but the PS2 version is so.

Did they changed for Silent Hill 2 ?

Korean games have always been NTSC/J.

cvxfreak

maskrider said:
Did they changed for Silent Hill 2 ?

Korean games have always been NTSC/J.

The Korean version runs on an NTSC format, but is the same as the PAL version. Contrary to popular belief, the Korean version is a teeny bit different from the Japanese release. The Korean version contains the language options from the PAL game but no Japanese language options at all.

EDIT: The Korean game does NOT use the Inner Fear subtitle like the PAL game does.

maskrider

CVXFREAK said:
The Korean version runs on an NTSC format, but is the same as the PAL version. Contrary to popular belief, the Korean version is a teeny bit different from the Japanese release. The Korean version contains the language options from the PAL game but no Japanese language options at all.

Well, but the options should just be disabled, what I'm saying is the game itself is the same. The different options are simply a selection of which to disable.

cvxfreak

maskrider said:
Well, but the options should just be disabled, what I'm saying is the game itself is the same. The different options are simply a selection of which to disable.

Oh, sorry to sound so confusing here. :( But the game itself is the same basically. Same graphics, same story, same game. 99.5% the same as the Japanese and U.S. editions. Although, the Korean version is super cheap and comes with a nice book (in Korean to compensate for the lack of Korean text). I'll be glad to clarify if this sounds confusing.

Top Bottom