• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

question for connecting Wii to LCD monitor

gimz

just got a wii (again) with Mario Galaxy today
and since the last time i owned a wii i upgraded my monitor to a Samsung monitor

i'm wondering what is the best way to connect my wii to the monitor to get the best result?
my monitor is Samsung SyncMaster 216BW

Featured
Certified for Windows Vista Premium
HDCP
MagicSpeed
MagicBright3
DPMS

Panel Viewable Area 21.6" Wide
Pixel Pitch 0.276 x 0.276
Brightness(cd/2)(typ.) 300 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio(Typ.) 1000:1 (DC 3000:1)
Viewing Angle(H/V) 170°/160°
Response Time (in ms) (Typ.) 5
Frequency Horizontal Frequency 30-81khz
Vertical Frequency 56-75hz
Maximum Resolution 1680 x 1050
Colour Supported 16.7 million
Signal Input Input Video Signal Analog RGB, DVI
Sync. Type Separate H/V, Composite, SOG
Input Connectors 15pin D-sub, DVI-D
Plug & Play DDC 2B
USB powered hub option No
Mac compatibility Yes
Power On Mode 50W
Type Built-in
multimedia Speakers No
Wall-Mount VESA 100mm
TCO No
Cabinet Color Black High Glossy
Dimensions (in mm) Set with stand(WxHxD) 514.6 x 422.0 x 219.3
Set(WxHxD)(w/o stand) 514.6 x 353.3 x 63.0
Packing(WxHxD) 606.0 x 158.0 x 488.0
Weight (in Kg) Set 4.9
Packing 7.4
Special Features .DVI(HDCP) .MagicBright3 .High Glossy Black
Stand Type Simple
Function Swivel, Tilt

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
http://www.vdigi.com/index.php?page...ufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

And for the record, i have a Samsung 226Bw (16:9 1680 1050), with just about all the same specs you mentioned. I spent a long while looking for a way to connect my Wii to it, and this turned out to be the best answer.

Beware if your a PAL user however; this cable doesnt support interlaced signals, and therefore wont play your progressive-scan deprived versions of VC and GC titles. Nevertheless, this is the best cable for the job right now.

gimz

thanks

updating the wii with mario galaxy disc :D

im suprsied that the wii stand has upgraded (i think) from the wii i bought last year
and the wiimote condom actually comes with the system now

t0va

Cataferal said:
http://www.vdigi.com/index.php?page...ufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

And for the record, i have a Samsung 226Bw (16:9 1680 1050), with just about all the same specs you mentioned. I spent a long while looking for a way to connect my Wii to it, and this turned out to be the best answer.

Beware if your a PAL user however; this cable doesnt support interlaced signals, and therefore wont play your progressive-scan deprived versions of VC and GC titles. Nevertheless, this is the best cable for the job right now.

I've got the same monitor. How's the image quality? Any ghosting issues?

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
t0va said:
I've got the same monitor. How's the image quality? Any ghosting issues?

Image quality is pretty impressive considering its an upscaled 640x480; you can spot the jaggies, of course, but its all within the expectations of that resolution. Colours are well defined and clear too.

So far, I've been using it mostly to play Metroid Prime 3 and Zelda:TP, and it seems to produce less ghosting than, say, Bioshock or FIFA 08 do with the 360 (which i have set to 1280x1024 widescreen, also linking via VGA). I scarcely notice it, which probably has something to do with the screen having an easier time upscaling a lower resolution (and the 2ms response time).

The only real trouble I've had relates to the screen's notorious viewing angle, which completely saturates the image when I stand up with a friend to play a game on Wii Sports. But thats another matter.

Hope that helps. :)

The Hermit

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I have the same question as the OP and I wonder if during this aprox. 1 year gap, there is anything new or better to hook the Wii on a monitor.

I have a Samsung SyncMaster 2232 digital, btw...

Top Bottom