• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EIZO Releases the FORIS FG2421 240 Hz Gaming Monitor (VA panel + strobing)

People who say this have no concept of what G-sync even is. The technology is here to stay.

I am primarily a PC gamer and I am WELL aware of what G-Sync is, the fact that nVidia took money so that it would be a timed exclusive for ASUS sealed it's fate.
1080p and it ain't nothin' but a g-sync either.

Lol.

image.php
Yeah that's my avatar, cool huh?

Sure it will. Whatever industry standard tech will be made for this it'll be based on G-Sync and all products with it will likely be G-Sync compatible.
No shit, I was talking about nVidia proprietary implementation.

EIZO makes high quality hardware.
My 27" flexscan IPS has given me years to excellent performance in CAD, photoshop, & gaming.

n0n44m

I am primarily a PC gamer and I am WELL aware of what G-Sync is, the fact that nVidia took money so that it would be a timed exclusive for ASUS sealed it's fate.

well at least that gives me time to save up for one

else I would've gotten this EIZO, lightboost strobing is already pretty damn awesome on my BenQ XL2420T !

also, have you seen that module ? 35 cents ain't gonna cut it

Most people don't care.
Requiring a modification to monitor / new monitor is complete and utter lol.
If it was written as a proposed standard to displayport / HDMI and introduced a cost of LESS THAN 35c per monitor, manufacturers may put it in, as default. Maybe.......

I'm using a 60hz monitor right now at work, there's millions upon millions of business monitors sold for business who couldn't care less.
It's (virtually) as dead in the water as shield. If you own NVDA, I'd seriously consider selling, they've lost their way, seriously.

But there seriously are not any alternatives remotely like this for enthusiastic gamers. I doubt they have the casual market in mind. Especially when they offer an own mod kit and first promote this with a special gaming monitor capable of 120hz (or 144hz even).

wizzbang

Banned
Wrong market. G-Sync is for the same people who buy mid/high end GPUs and there's plenty of those.

Is against the rules to just outright laugh at someones post or post smarmy sarcastic lol images? I mean I want to stick within the bounds of neogaf rules here but also completely mock posts like this which are so entirely out of touch with reality.

Suffice to say err no, just no. just not even fucking close.

wizzbang

Banned
It's for enthusiasts, not thr general market. If you don't see the point, cool, but so what? It's not for you.

That's my point, it's not for a hell of a lot of people and if you see the post I was replying to (and several subsequent replies to me) some people /actually believe/ this is going to end up in all monitors.

dr_rus

How are your reading skills? Nvidia's "proprietary" (maybe we should start calling things like Crossfire/SLI and h/w anisotropic filtering "proprietary" too while we're at it; cause they are; and it doesn't look like they're going anywhere) implementation is highly likely to be v1 of an industry standard which will be backwards compatible with that "proprietary" implementation. You do understand that we're basically talking about digital signals transferred via a standard DisplayPort interface from a GPU to a scaler chip in the monitor, right? If such scaler chip can interpret one type of such signals it'll basically cost zero to make it compatible with the other - especially if this other is a subset of the first one functionally.

Ty4on

That is nice but I need something that combines 4K resolution, large 30" screen, IPS, 240 Hz and G-sync.

No half measures.

Only IPS if black levels aren't shit like on mine :(
u0Wf3TD.jpg

It's so bad I watch movies on my Vita.

Edit:
I've had both: an S-PVA Eizo display and an IPS one, side by side for a month before I decided which one I wanted to keep. I expected the former to be better, if only because I had already tried several IPS (Nec, Dell, Eizo, etc.) and knew the glow would be really annoying.

In the end, the black crush on the VA panel was too much for me, whereas the glow on the IPS display was barely noticeable even in a pitch black room and without Eizo's DUE. Granted, the contrast and blacks on the VA panel were better, but not by a huge margin. I was really surprised. But high end IPS are really something else.

Guess I should have gone Eizo. Really wanting to splurge on this monitor and use my current Dell as a second one.

Edit2:
Why one earth would ou play a game at 240Hz...can computers even do that with modern games?
Modern computers can easily play tons of games in 120hz, especially with lower settings. No input supports 240hz so instead this monitor either doubles each frame or inserts a black one in between. The black frame reduces motion blur and creates more CRT like motion. 120hz is great even if you play at a lower frame rate because tearing is only shown for 1/120th of a second on screen making it less noticeable and a stable 60fps game is often above that. If you have a vsync on/off switch you'll notice the terrible input lag it creates.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Dear manufacturers, please keep that HDTV-marketing crap out of monitor space... It's just a 120Hz input monitor that strobes twice per frame, not 240 fps.

(Edit: mdrejhon clarifies this later on, it's not strobing twice, it's running at a double refresh rate to include a blackout step and a strobe step)

Ty4on

Dear manufacturers, please keep that HDTV-marketing crap out of monitor space... It's just a 120Hz input monitor that strobes twice per frame, not 240 fps.

A 120hz non TN panel is good enough for me. 240hz is sadly not possible with today's interfaces. Maybe AMD will strike against gsync with 240hz outputs :p

That is nice but I need something that combines 4K resolution, large 30" screen, IPS, 240 Hz and G-sync.

No half measures.

The terrible black levels of IPS displays make them a poor choice for games and movies. I'd much rather have a VA panel.

While I wouldn't even contemplate buying a high end monitor that doesn't support Gsync (nor should any gamer for that matter) it's great to see a 120hz VA panel.

dosh

Only IPS if black levels aren't shit like on mine :(
u0Wf3TD.jpg

It's so bad I watch movies on my Vita.
That's a LOT of glow.

Guess I should have gone Eizo. Really wanting to splurge on this monitor and use my current Dell as a second one.
Not all Eizo displays are glow-free though. The issue is inherent to IPS panels, and even high-end Eizo models with DUE technology (which is supposed to ensure brightness uniformity) can have some glow.

It's really a hit and miss. I spent more than a year buying displays on Amazon, testing them and returning them before I settled on mine.

To my knowledge, the only IPS display that doesn't show any glow at all is the fabled NEC 2490WUXI, but it's not easy to find one.

mdrejhon

http://www.testufo.com/#test=eyetracking&pattern=lines2
I'd like to see pictures from this test ran on this monitor (or see it with my own eyes)
It'll probably be similar to a CRT or LightBoost. According to their 240Hz white paper, the strobe flash length is as short as 1 millisecond, which is clearer motion than LightBoost=10% (in theory). Eizo is sending me a demo, so I'll be testing it out.
(P.S. SneakyStephan, strage avatar subtitle. As Chief Blur Buster, owner of BlurBusters and TestUFO, I'm deaf since birth.)

Regardless of marketing -- it's a great monitor in that it's not a TN panel (yay!):
It's a great "Lightboosted" VA 120Hz panel
It only strobes once per frame, not twice.

Oh my fucking god, its even a VA panel so its got blacks that aren't utter shit. I wonder if strobing can solve VA's motion problems.
Apparently, that's how it works. It strobes at 120Hz according to an Eizo manual:

* 1. First pass LCD refresh is overdriven, in total darkness. (erases previous refresh)
* 2. Second pass LCD refresh is clean, in total darkness. (erases overdriven refresh)
* 3. Strobe backlight flashes at end of second pass refresh. (clean refresh seen by eyes)

Rinse and repeat; 120 times per second; clean refreshes without objectionable overdrive. So it's more visually like a 120Hz CRT, and the computer only needs to send 120 frames per second. The 240Hz is marketing, but there's apparently a scientific reason why it's using 240Hz to clean-up the VA panel.

So we finally are getting a LightBoost-equivalent on a VA panel. Win.

mdrejhon

G-Sync actually has a use.
Yes...

Right now, G-SYNC and strobing have mutually exclusive beneficial purposes:
G-SYNC: Visually better for fluctuating frame rates (eliminates tearing/stutter, but not motion blur)
Strobing: Visually better for constant full frame rates (eliminates motion blur, but not tearing/stutter)

Theoretically, both could be combined eventually (engineering a variable-rate strobe backlight without flicker is hard, though there's possible algorithms).

wildfire

Banned
I wouldn't get too attached to Gsync, it wont last long.

Ha keep dreaming. Maybe the industry will move quickly in a direction where monitors won't be slaved to a specific gpu vender but the underlying tech itself will be widely adopted. It's too good for what it does.

g-sync is only the first implementation. other companies will come out with other implementations in the very near future. it would be interesting to see the patent for g-sync. this eizo monitor is a good step forward. i say two years and the display market for gamers will have some really healthy choices.  

Rafterman

Banned

But they didn't, so we can write that excuse off. As for your second comment, do you think it's the name G-sync that we give a shit about? That's the only way your original comment makes any sense. It's the tech that matters and that's here to stay.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Apparently, that's how it works. It strobes at 120Hz according to an Eizo manual

Hmm, so they're marketing based on blur equivalency then. "It has the feel of 240Hz". Not two strobes like I thought (that would have been weird), they're just counting the "black frame" in their refresh rate.

Not hating on the monitor, it sounds like a great product. I just don't like that sort of misleading advertising.

Should be great for stereo 3D.

FoxSpirit

People should be more excited. This is as close to the perfect gaming monitor as we will get bar 4k and OLED.

Also, real black-frame-insertion at 240Hz means I will finally be able to play older 30fps 2D games without motion blur. How long I have waited for this. Oh yeah, also 1:5000 native contrast is a huge difference to the standard 1:700-1:1000 standard you normally get.

mdrejhon

Hmm, so they're marketing based on blur equivalency then.
Actually, if so, then undermarketing it. If they are using 1ms strobe lengths as I think they may be using; the motion blur can be 94% less than a 60Hz monitor.

1ms persistence / 16.7ms persistence = 94% less persistence = 94% less motion blur.

Persistence is different from GtG, and on strobe-backlight monitors, persistence is linearly proportional to the amount of motion blur produced (1ms of persistence = 1 pixels of motion blurring during eye-tracking of 1000 pixels/second motion). I'm assuming that adjusting brightness during Turbo240, essentially also adjusts the strobe length -- and thus, adjusts the persistence. Just like LightBoost=10% versus LightBoost=100%.

Durante

People should be more excited. This is as close to the perfect gaming monitor as we will get bar 4k and OLED.

Also, real black-frame-insertion at 240Hz means I will finally be able to play older 30fps 2D games without motion blur. How long I have waited for this. Oh yeah, also 1:5000 native contrast is a huge difference to the standard 1:700-1:1000 standard you normally get.
I agree, it's really tempting. Though I'd adjust that to "bar 4k, OLED and G-sync". Also, I'd be fine with "just" 1440p instead of 4k :p

Why does anything that is considered gaming in the pc market place have to have such wanky design? Look at the back of that monitor. Why? Take out functionality (vesa mount), just to put some tossy fins, and colours which no one will ever see.
It's nice that they went with VA, I can't stand IPS. I watched blacknight on an expensive dell ips monitor a few years ago, packed it up and kept using my ancient S-PVA monitor instead. Would totally buy this monitor if it were bigger.

FoxSpirit

Nice, I just saw prad.de got their hands on a review model.
For a change, I don't need to see their review first. But man, 500 stones is expensive and I just got a new monitor half a year ago.
But it's a 60Hz 1:800 IPS, this is a 120Hz bfi 1:5000 VA monitor. Gah!!!!!

edit: just checked it out, 10-bit lookup table. Oh Eizo.... my heart is torn.

Top Bottom