• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

quick question regarding DS system

Ironclad

Red icon should indicate about 30% or less of a charge. As it starts to get even lower, to the point where the system is going to shut down, the light will grow extremely dim.

M3wThr33

Banned
When it gets to the red, it's at the psp level. From there you can run the two together to get an estimate.

Flo_Evans

rod said:
because the psp indicator is "so" accurate right?

wrong

Battery_Info2.jpg

you lose

Himuro said:
It was full, right when I turned it off, so why is it switching from green to red? Shouldn't it be on the half way mark if that was the case? Wierd. Thanks though. I thought that was the battery icon, but I wasn't too sure because of the blinking (you know, since it was full).

Your DS might be defective/malfunctioning. I've never had a DS flicker back and forth between red and green. (I've had the regular GBA do so on some funky batteries though.)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Dragona Akehi said:
Your DS might be defective/malfunctioning. I've never had a DS flicker back and forth between red and green. (I've had the regular GBA do so on some funky batteries though.)

my GBA SP flickers back red and green sometimes too (if you slide the on/off switch slighty while the SP is on, the LED will sometimes go red). it usually happends when the battery is under 50% or something. i dont know why but it does that

Ironclad

Dragona Akehi said:
Actually, I was playing my DS last night and the light was flickering from green to red. The charge was just reaching the level where the LED should switch and stay at red but it hadn't quite reached that level so it alternated the colors. After several minutes of continued play, the LED then finally decided to stick with red. I'm pretty sure it's not the sign of a malfunctioning unit.

rod

Banned
Wario64 said:
don't worry about him, he just tried to troll the psp twice in the last couple minutes and failed both times!

like you dont troll the ds every chance you get :lol was this a psp thread? :lol

and it wasnt trolling. the psp says i have 6 hours left. cool. sweet. i start playing rr for a while. 30 mins. then says i have 2:30 mins left? err ok, thats real accurate.

and heres an idea if someone really, urgently wants to play yoshi island so bad.

buy a fucking snes.

littlewig

Banned
Himuro said:
It was full, right when I turned it off, so why is it switching from green to red? Shouldn't it be on the half way mark if that was the case? Wierd. Thanks though. I thought that was the battery icon, but I wasn't too sure because of the blinking (you know, since it was full).

The battery icon on the top menu only indicates normal charge(green) and low charge(red). It simple switches from green to red, it doesn't give any indication of %.

Also, it really doesn't matter since the DS has such a long battery life, the only way you'd run of out power is if you forget to charge after a full days use.

Ironclad

The PSP tells you how much charge is left according to the current conditions. I.E. your brightness level, sound level and the game you're playing. Something like Lumines will obviously give you more charge than RR.

AniHawk

rod said:
like you dont troll the ds every chance you get :lol was this a psp thread? :lol

and it wasnt trolling. the psp says i have 6 hours left. cool. sweet. i start playing rr for a while. 30 mins. then says i have 2:30 mins left? err ok, thats real accurate.

and heres an idea if someone really, urgently wants to play yoshi island so bad.

buy a fucking snes.

Can you carry the SNES and a TV screen around AND play the game at the same time?

No.

PSP > SNES.

rod

Banned
Ironclad_Ninja said:
The PSP tells you how much charge is left according to the current conditions. I.E. your brightness level, sound level and the game you're playing. Something like Lumines will obviously give you more charge than RR.

so why bother having a charge indicator then that is not accurate? i thought it was a great feature when i first got it. but in the end, its useless. like your gonna play a straight 6+ hours of one game

rod

Banned
AniHawk said:
Can you carry the SNES and a TV screen around AND play the game at the same time?

No.

PSP > SNES.

gba ;)

oh wait "the snes version is better than the gba" I MUST PLAY THE SNES ON PSP VERSION IT IS THE ONLY WAY :lol

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
rod said:

yeah, that's why i said % indicator. the hours left is just a simple estimation using variables as ironclad listed

not everything uses the same power consumption you know

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
SonicMegaDrive said:
I'm gonna take my PSP and my DS and just bang them together real, real hard and see which one wins.

Actually, I bet I can guess the answer to that one before you start...

DS!

Cherubae

GaimeGuy said:
I think the red icon means you have under 3 hours left

When that light goes red with my DS I have less than an hour of juice left. It does the same thing if I'm playing a DS game or a GBA game. The light is my "oh crap better save and recharge" indicator. I use to play it when the light was red but there were a few times when the console would just shut itself off durng red-light mode and I hadn't saved in a while. Silly me to assume the battery would last longer than I expected it to.

Flo_Evans said:
Battery_Info2.jpg

you lose
The fact that it shows specifics doesn't always make it accurate. I've used the thing for a half hour to have it tell me it's at 100%. Or have the percentage stay the same, while the time estimate jumps all over the place. Still, it's a step up from what Game Boys and DS have done, and something I've wanted to see implemented on the GB startup screen for years.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Drensch said:
To be fair it probably came that way from the factory.

When my PSP fell off a counter last week, my screen looked the same way. It was a short fall, but enough impact that it completely destroyed the LCD. The system is a bit too delicate for a handheld.

Ironclad

Letting the battery die out will affect the battery more than recharging it. Either way, they won't affect the battery that much. Sure, it will drop a little, but it won't drop that much, and it will take a lot of recharges to do even that.

Himuro said:
The battery finally died out. ;( I wanted to play more Kirby too! ;( Waaah.

I left my charger at home (grrr), so I'm DS-less until maybe tomorrow evening. Yesterday morning, I charged it for a very very long time so I thought I could get about 12-15 hours out of it, and I didn't play more than 3-4 hours yesterday, and today it started blinking! What's the deal? Does the amount of battery % increase the more times you charge the DS? A friend told me that after a few charges, it'll last for over 10 hours, but at first it won't make that. I didn't believe him..but I guess he was right?

I'm loving my DS more than my old PSP. I seriously should have gotten one in the first place, yes, PSP has awesome features but the games (even though they are quite good), weren't enough to keep interested. And I hardly used the other features (except for emulating NES game..zomg zing!!!), as much as I thought I originally would. *sigh* I should have gotten a DS in May instead of a PSP.

Long live Kirby.

Just in case you have one with you, the gba charger works too.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Ironclad_Ninja said:
Letting the battery die out will affect the battery more than recharging it. Either way, they won't affect the battery that much. Sure, it will drop a little, but it won't drop that much, and it will take a lot of recharges to do even that.

i didnt realize this until i got the psp. i always emptied my gba sp battery out before recharging it. i think it did affect my battery cause i noticed short battery times once i got wario ware. now i just recharge every night, even if i used the gba or psp for 10 minutes

so yeah, just recharge it whenever you have the chance

A friend told me that after a few charges, it'll last for over 10 hours, but at first it won't make that. I didn't believe him..but I guess he was right?

erm, im sure the battery life DECREASES with each recharge. although you wont see too much of an increase until like the hundreth cycle probably

M3wThr33

Banned
With an iPod, you run into the same battery life questions.
At first the battery reading is always out of whack. It takes a few cycles before it calibrates itself properly.
The room temperature also affects the reading.
Basically everything changes what it says.

Never let it go too low. Complete drains shorten the life of it. (Older batteries lost life when it WASN'T a full discharge, that's changed now)

Thomper

koam said:
I saw the title, how did i know this was a "DS vs psp fight" thread?
If a thread contains 'battery' and one or both of the handhelds in the first post, it is a fight thread. :D

Top Bottom