• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six Siege: Operation Void Edge – New Operators Reveal Trailer | Ubisoft (Mista, Get ITT!!!)

Monty counter is fucking bullshit.

9CNIdNH.png

Arachnid

No new maps and half the amount of operators for the next two years? That combined with the recent battle pass edition kind of sucks. They jumped through some serious hoops with their justification. The season pass better be half the price for half the content.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
I lost interest in these reveals 6 agents ago, there are too many silly gimmicks, too much overlap, besides the toxic AF community remembering all these gimmicks has become a chore, also the crappy season pass gating, and then the "you picked the one I wanted so I'm going to TK you when the match starts" nonsense, it's all awful now.

I predict a renasaince of R6 Seige, like with WoW, they'll have R6 Siege "vanilla", and then fuck that up too when they start updating the roster into this new one.

No new maps and half the amount of operators for the next two years? That combined with the recent battle pass edition kind of sucks. They jumped through some serious hoops with their justification. The season pass better be half the price for half the content.

I don't know if I agree with that. I've been playing Siege pretty heavily for the past year and a half, so I haven't been around since the beginning, but I have noticed a lot of issues with the game that definitely need to be addressed.

No new maps is a good thing in my opinion. Siege already has twenty different maps. For a game like Call of Duty, this is a pretty solid number to have, but for a game like Siege that is an absolutely massive amount of maps to have. Learning a map in Siege takes far more effort than any other multiplayer shooter I personally have ever played. I'd rather them go back through the currently released maps that have glaring issues with balance/playability (Favela, Tower, Skyscraper, Chalet, House, Bartlett, etc) and shape them up to be viable in both competitive and non-competitive play. I think they've been doing well so far with map reworks, as I find the Kanal rework to be a fantastic reimagining of the map. Kafe Dostoyevsky was also significantly improved, and Theme Park has also been improved though I still haven't learned the new version well enough to know how much I enjoy it. Although I don't think Oregon was super in need of a rework.

One operator a season is perfectly fine with me as well. There's already over 50 operators that provide a huge amount of variety in the gameplay. When adding so many new things all the time, I understand their reasoning that it's just too hard to keep the game balanced and low on bugs with two new operators added a season and a new map and guns added. I'd rather have consistency in my gameplay experience with Siege than have new operators every three months. I say this as someone who has all of the operators unlocked and gives every new operator a fair shake before I drop them permanently.

As for halving the cost of the season pass, I agree they should do that for year 6 and beyond. I do understand that remixed content still takes time and effort like new content, but I see where the argument can be made that half the operators is literally half of the content. But with the amount of bugs I have been noticing creep up in game, I am perfectly fine with them spending more of their time dedicated to making the core experience more consistent and reliable. Anyone who plays the game with sincerity can tell you that the sound, which is integral to the game experience and a key component of success in a lot of rounds, is incredibly unreliable. Hit registration is also something that needs to be consistently checked into, as there are reliability issues with that as well. Some of it is my potato-aim, guaranteed, but there are also a lot of legitimate instances where I'm shooting someone's head on my screen, only to not receive a kill for my trouble.

All in all, I'm happy that they're focusing more on core gameplay reworks, as that's ultimately what Siege should be about. Flashy new operators are nice, but the core gameplay of Siege is what keeps people coming back, not the new gadgets and gizmos.

Arachnid

I don't know if I agree with that. I've been playing Siege pretty heavily for the past year and a half, so I haven't been around since the beginning, but I have noticed a lot of issues with the game that definitely need to be addressed.

No new maps is a good thing in my opinion. Siege already has twenty different maps. For a game like Call of Duty, this is a pretty solid number to have, but for a game like Siege that is an absolutely massive amount of maps to have. Learning a map in Siege takes far more effort than any other multiplayer shooter I personally have ever played. I'd rather them go back through the currently released maps that have glaring issues with balance/playability (Favela, Tower, Skyscraper, Chalet, House, Bartlett, etc) and shape them up to be viable in both competitive and non-competitive play. I think they've been doing well so far with map reworks, as I find the Kanal rework to be a fantastic reimagining of the map. Kafe Dostoyevsky was also significantly improved, and Theme Park has also been improved though I still haven't learned the new version well enough to know how much I enjoy it. Although I don't think Oregon was super in need of a rework.

One operator a season is perfectly fine with me as well. There's already over 50 operators that provide a huge amount of variety in the gameplay. When adding so many new things all the time, I understand their reasoning that it's just too hard to keep the game balanced and low on bugs with two new operators added a season and a new map and guns added. I'd rather have consistency in my gameplay experience with Siege than have new operators every three months. I say this as someone who has all of the operators unlocked and gives every new operator a fair shake before I drop them permanently.

As for halving the cost of the season pass, I agree they should do that for year 6 and beyond. I do understand that remixed content still takes time and effort like new content, but I see where the argument can be made that half the operators is literally half of the content. But with the amount of bugs I have been noticing creep up in game, I am perfectly fine with them spending more of their time dedicated to making the core experience more consistent and reliable. Anyone who plays the game with sincerity can tell you that the sound, which is integral to the game experience and a key component of success in a lot of rounds, is incredibly unreliable. Hit registration is also something that needs to be consistently checked into, as there are reliability issues with that as well. Some of it is my potato-aim, guaranteed, but there are also a lot of legitimate instances where I'm shooting someone's head on my screen, only to not receive a kill for my trouble.

All in all, I'm happy that they're focusing more on core gameplay reworks, as that's ultimately what Siege should be about. Flashy new operators are nice, but the core gameplay of Siege is what keeps people coming back, not the new gadgets and gizmos.
I can halfway agree with the map reworks being positive since I miss maps likes Plane, Bartlett and (even) Favela (especially since the current map pool uses less than half of the maps they've introduced), but at the same time a few new maps would be nice. The reworks so far have been great but they don't really change enough to make maps a new experience (Kanal is the exception here, and I love the new version; Kafe, clubhouse, theme park, and what little I've seen of house aren't as drastic; Hereford was drastic and I liked it, but they removed it a season after adding it). You can adjust to the few layout changes within a match or two. I kind of enjoy the process of learning a new map from top to bottom and developing new strats with my group of usuals. Plus, your COD comparison doesn't work when COD is yearly. This is all the maps Siege has added over the past 5 years, so players have had more than enough time to get familiar.

I'm also OK with the 4 yearly operators as long as the seasonal price reflects that (which it will according to the poster above). The new operators will also have to be something special (I mean meta changing like Mav instead of a gimmick like Goyo or Nokk). This is going to be a "wait and see" kind of change for me.

One of my main problems with this is the game getting stagnant. No matter which way you slice it, this is a downgrade in content stream in a live service game (I'd argue less than half the content since the operators are actually half and the maps are all just reworks from here on).. At this point, I've been playing with my same dedicated team for almost 4 years. We're not diamonds but we've got the game down to the point where things have gotten a bit procedural (we got to this point a year or two in actually). I think the devs are focusing more on little changes like the new ping system, rep system, and character/map reworks in preparation for the switch to next gen, which is great (though I wouldn't say any of it really changes the core gameplay), but significantly less content overall combined with the introduced battle pass (with gated cosmetics you cant earn with your renown anymore) just rubs me the wrong way.

EDIT: Kind of irrelevant: I don't know how many of you guys have seen this, but it is fantastic.so I thought I'd share:

Last edited:
Top Bottom