• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rambo from Sega; modern cheese mixed with camp and proof Sega "has still got it" with intentional irony

VGEsoterica

Does Rambo have terrible voice acting? Yep! Is it filled with melodramatic cheesy cut scenes that make you want to laugh? Absolutely. Did they put rap music into a game based on John Rambo? You are DAMN RIGHT THEY DID

But by this point you KNOW Sega is self aware. The bad voice acting of the 90s and early 2000s isn't the norm any more and all of Sega's console games have legit voice acting that ISNT horrendous. Even The House of the Dead: Scarlet Dawn has some of the worst voice acting around....but Sega is doing this intentionally. There is no way they think this is "good".

Dreamcast era Sega was peak weird with all sorts of oddball ideas and a lot of that charming weirdness still lives in Sega's arcade division. Marry a great game (Rambo is The House of the Dead...except without zombies) concept with some seriously over the top voice lines, music and story...and suddenly you have a game that is amazingly fun to play and easy to laugh at for all the RIGHT reasons.

I miss this Sega. You don't get to see it very often. But with Rambo...it's peak SEGA cheese and it's delicious

Curious who on GAF has played Rambo? Works under Windows now...so no reason not to

But GAF...what is your fav cheesy game? Those games where the voice acting or story are so over the top ODD you can't help but love them for it

Does Rambo have terrible voice acting? Yep! Is it filled with melodramatic cheesy cut scenes that make you want to laugh? Absolutely. Did they put rap music into a game based on John Rambo? You are DAMN RIGHT THEY DID

But by this point you KNOW Sega is self aware. The bad voice acting of the 90s and early 2000s isn't the norm any more and all of Sega's console games have legit voice acting that ISNT horrendous. Even The House of the Dead: Scarlet Dawn has some of the worst voice acting around....but Sega is doing this intentionally. There is no way they think this is "good".

Dreamcast era Sega was peak weird with all sorts of oddball ideas and a lot of that charming weirdness still lives in Sega's arcade division. Marry a great game (Rambo is The House of the Dead...except without zombies) concept with some seriously over the top voice lines, music and story...and suddenly you have a game that is amazingly fun to play and easy to laugh at for all the RIGHT reasons.

I miss this Sega. You don't get to see it very often. But with Rambo...it's peak SEGA cheese and it's delicious

Curious who on GAF has played Rambo? Works under Windows now...so no reason not to

But GAF...what is your fav cheesy game? Those games where the voice acting or story are so over the top ODD you can't help but love them for it

The only Sega Rambo I know of is the coop sega master system one from circa 1985

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Sega's still got it cos they released Rambo 14 years ago? K... Scarlet Dawn is only 4 years old if that's your angle.

Last edited:

shoplifter

weird-al-yankovic.gif

ReBurn

Gold Member
Great video. I remember playing this. It definitely had that unmistakable sega arcade feeling.

dave_d

The only Sega Rambo I know of is the coop sega master system one from circa 1985
Weird seeing it since we had Rambo in the movies. Then SNK did Ikari Warriors to capitalize Rambo's popularity.(Not sure if they ever tried to get the Rambo license.) From there Sega did their own take off of Ikari Warriors which didn't have the Rambo either license called Ashura.(In Japan) Then in the US they put the license back on it. It came full circle.

VGEsoterica

Weird seeing it since we had Rambo in the movies. Then SNK did Ikari Warriors to capitalize Rambo's popularity.(Not sure if they ever tried to get the Rambo license.) From there Sega did their own take off of Ikari Warriors which didn't have the Rambo either license called Ashura.(In Japan) Then in the US they put the license back on it. It came full circle.
the Rambo license popped around a lot

Kruza

This is the Rambo I remember as well! The Ikari Warriors knock-off!

I also remember another Rambo game from Sega -- Rambo III -- as an exclusive light gun game for the Sega Master System. I always thought of Rambo III as Sega's answer to Taito's light gun classic game Operation Wolf that came out in the arcades as well as the NES system. However, Rambo III is very different from the Rambo game in that YouTube video link above. Heh, I had never even seen that version of Rambo before watching that YouTube video!

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Ah, I thought this was going to be the Rambo III game for the Genesis (which is also a lot of fun). I was always interested in the arcade version of this one. It does look delightfully cheesy.

Top Bottom