• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate the Nintendo Direct of February 2022

Rate the Direct

Votes: 39 14.5%

Votes: 41 15.2%

Votes: 71 26.4%

Votes: 34 12.6%

Votes: 20 7.4%

Votes: 16 5.9%

Votes: 9 3.3%

Votes: 11 4.1%

Votes: 6 2.2%

Votes: 8 3.0%

Votes: 14 5.2%

• Total voters

Nautilus

Banned
Man... XC3 deserves better hardware but I'm gonna need to buy a new switch solely for it anyway.
Join Us Mystery Science Theater 3000 GIF by MOODMAN

elliot5

The Nintendo sports games piqued my interest like Mario and switch sports but outside of that idgaf. It’s all jrpgs late ports or remasters other than that 4/10.

But neutral it was a great meaty direct so like 8/10

Last edited:

00_Zer0

Solid 8 from me. Front Mission 1 and 2. Live A Live, new Mario Kart 8 tracks, and Xenoblade Chronicles 3. Made it worth the watch. Supporting Mario Kart 8 until the end of 2023 is insane. It kind of gives you the impression that Switch 2 won't release till at least 2024 where a new MK 9 can be introduced. Edit- I'm also thankful for updates for Meteoid Dread. Can't wait to tackle the Boss Rush mode. Not too hyped for the one hit difficulty or the Rookie difficulty, but at least they are there for those who want those updates.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Solid 8 from me. Front Mission 1 and 2. Live A Live, new Mario Kart 8 tracks, and Xenoblade Chronicles 3. Made it worth the watch. Supporting Mario Kart 8 until the end of 2023 is insane. It kind of gives you the impression that Switch 2 won't release till at least 2024 where a new MK 9 can be introduced.
Yes, and I think thats the conclusion Nintendo wants us to make. With MK 8 DLC lasting until the end of 2023, that sends a clear message that Switch 2 will only launch in early 2024 at the earliest.

daveonezero

Banned
8 Very strong. I like the mix of remakes, remasters, old never before released games and new games from a wide range of games.

And it doesn't even include anything they have revealed before.

With Xenoblade 3 out I would like to put in a bunch of time to the original and the 2nd I haven't even touched yet.

I may also have to jump into MK8 as I haven't done that either.

Last edited:

Hey Blinkin

BOTW 2 is never coming out. 😩

I thought it was a great Direct and there were a lot of games that caught my interest. Mostly hyped for Mario Strikers and Xenoblade Chronicles 3. The Kirby game looked like great fun too.

With all those recurring characters in XC3 trailer, there better be a reunion with those big Mythra milkers. Anything less would be criminal, Monolith.

jaysius

Banned
So many ports, such little effort applied to them too... not so great.

2 ROMS for the online SERVICE!!! YES!!!! Woo! Totally worth that monthly fee!

It's great that they're adding DLC packs to Mario Kart 8 $33 CAD sucks, but our dollar isn't doing so well, so 'dems the breaks. Great content though either way, it's insane that NOBODY tries to topple Mario Kart, with all the money in the gaming industry there IS ROOM for someone that wants to make a new IP here.

Splatoon 3 looks just like the last one, no mention of stopping cheating or the idlers that ruined the last one so, there goes that one.

I'd give it a 4 but only because of the Mario Kart 8 DLC.

Last edited:
I don’t know, 5 I guess. At best. Average, not really mind blowing or completely disappointing except for MK.

Kirby looks to be the best kirby since 64 at the very least, really looking forward to it.

I’m happy for those that love xenoblade but personally i’m not looking forward to it, and maaan the graphics are blurry. We really need a switch 2.

Was counting on klonoa, but it looks like they messed up the ports esp. the wiimake (chibi, ruined effects) but luckily I own the wii version. I just sold my ps2 copy of 2 prior to this announcement and luckily it definitely looks OK in comparison to the wiimake port on switch. Will buy for klonoa 2 ; I didn’t have a ps2 anyway.

New strikers looks same old same old, but again it’s good to have as an option.

Mario kart… i’m pretty disappointed tbh I really want them to be working on mk9 and this just takes away from that… They could be remaking tracks for 9 on the switch 2! And they won’t be done with these tracks til end of 2023?!?

I’ll be honest, that sucked.

Last edited:

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
2022 was already a pretty stacked year for Nintendo, but they added even more games with FE Warriors, Mario Strikers, Switch Sports and Xenoblade 3. I don't like all those games, but it's an impressive line-up regardless.

I was disappointed with the Mario Kart DLC. That's an 8 year old game and they're releasing new tracks now?
The absence of Zelda and other long-awaited titles was also a bit disappointing.

I'll give it an 8.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Yo I get it 48 tracks is nice but you really are not disappointed at all they’re working on mk8 STILL and not 9?
the problem with Mario Kart 9 is probably, that they perfected and bulked up MK8 to a point where a sequel that tops it is near impossible. I truly believe the next one will have a fancy gimmick (level editor? Mario Kart maker?) or will feature characters and tracks from across the Nintendo universe. I'm pretty sure they already work on it, just that it needs more time in the oven (and possibly a Switch 2 launch title?) and I'm fine with them not rushing it.

In the end it's good DLC and a good deal. DLC is sometimes good and sometimes bad. really depends on the devs. ironically Nintendo plays in both camps, but they're better than most big publishers with it. Devs/Publishers that make games purposefully grindy so they can sell you a faster progression... Or shit like paying up to 20 bucks for a small handful of characters in a fighting game. 48 tracks for 25 bucks are very generous in comparison. Thats more than most stand alone Mario Kart games.

Zannegan

7/10

Solid show with lots I want to play--including a surprising amount of multiplayer-centric stuff--but not very exciting in terms of announcements. Xenoblade looks freaking great though.

the problem with Mario Kart 9 is probably, that they perfected and bulked up MK8 to a point where a sequel that tops it is near impossible. I truly believe the next one will have a fancy gimmick (level editor? Mario Kart maker?) or will feature characters and tracks from across the Nintendo universe. I'm pretty sure they already work on it, just that it needs more time in the oven (and possibly a Switch 2 launch title?) and I'm fine with them not rushing it.

In the end it's good DLC and a good deal. DLC is sometimes good and sometimes bad. really depends on the devs. ironically Nintendo plays in both camps, but they're better than most big publishers with it. Devs/Publishers that make games purposefully grindy so they can sell you a faster progression... Or shit like paying up to 20 bucks for a small handful of characters in a fighting game. 48 tracks for 25 bucks are very generous in comparison. Thats more than most stand alone Mario Kart games.
The dlc is a good value, very good in fact but I simply do not purchase any dlc as it’s not physical and has no value.

Maybe i’ll get a deluxe deluxe edition (at a steep discount) if they make a physical copy ever.

But man they are just milking this cow til the dust comes out. They don’t need to revolutionize mario kart for a 9th iteration for crying out loud they just need new graphics and maybe a minor gimmick with new tracks. It’s how it’s always been ; they don’t need to reinvent the wheel.

Kokoloko85

Great 3rd party stuff, Front Mission and Chrono was great surprises, dont think they are exclusive though. Kirby looks awesom, Avance Wars too.
7.5-8 out of 10
Cool 1st party showing but as Im not a fan of XenoBlade not enough New 1st party annoucements. Was hoping for Zelda Collection, a New Fire Emblem etc

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

bender

What time is it?

Mario Kart DLC
Kirby - Was skeptical at first but it looks really great.
Klonoa - love these games.
Portal 1-2
Chrono Chross remake
Switch Sports - finally, Wii Bowling can roll on again.
Mario Strikers
Xenoblade 3
Front Mission remake
Live Alive
Advanced Wars
Cuphead DLC - maybe we can get a physical release now
Metroid content
Project Triangle Demo
Splatoon 3

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
A solid 8 for me. Klonoa remaster, Chrono Cross, fucking Livealive! And then Xenoblade 3 to cap it off. Kirby looks solid too.

Reactions: Isa
I have an play my switch but im just so disconnected from the average nintendo fan. Sifu or even STALKER 2 look much better than any of the games showed. My friends were telling me how hype the direct was and up until the end im like, wii sports, kirby, and mario soccer makes a great direct? idk im just not into most of what nintendo does which is fine. god bless this hacked switch...dont gotta pay for games i probably wont like.

lachesis

I'm giving a solid 8 - especially because of Square Enix.

I am not the biggest fan of Square per se - but I do have some fond memories of Front Mission, and Live Alive. Other than Nintendo themselves, I think Square had the most robust and solid line up that really surprised me.
If you are into JRPG - it looks like Switch is really the place to be at the moment.

For some reason, I have more games on Switch that I want to buy this year lined up - than entire PS5 / XSX combined - because I enjoy Japanese games mostly.... But I understand if you are into western games - I don't think there aren't that much to look forward on Switch.

If they showed more Zelda and Metroid Prime 4 - It would have been solid 9+

Last edited:
Top Bottom