• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate the Nintendo Direct of February 2022

Rate the Direct

Votes: 39 14.5%

Votes: 41 15.2%

Votes: 71 26.4%

Votes: 34 12.6%

Votes: 20 7.4%

Votes: 16 5.9%

Votes: 9 3.3%

Votes: 11 4.1%

Votes: 6 2.2%

Votes: 8 3.0%

Votes: 14 5.2%

• Total voters
10/10 for me. This direct really had something for everybody. And the really big games for this year weren't even showed!

I have decided to sell my PS5. Managed to grab one last December, but it’s only been on a grand total of 2 hours playing Astro’s Playroom. I’ve been spending my time with Mario Odyssey, Metroid Dread and Civilization 6 instead. Since I’ll be abroad for 3 months soon and I have a friend that desperately wants one, now seems like a good time to sell.

But the underlying reason is that I’m just not excited with AAA-games on PS5 anymore. They all seem boring and playing them feels like a shore. All the talk about acquisitions, subscriptions, games as a service, VR, etc leaves me cold. Nothing that comes out this year on PS5 excites me and I cannot find the motivation to play the games I did buy.

But this direct rekindled a spark. Not everything, but those remakes and remasters of old JRPG like Live a Live looks amazing. And the Switch is really the home of turn-based strategy games, my favorite genre. Incredibly hyped for Front Mission and Advance Wars. And I'm even tempted to get Kirby to play with my kids.
I agree with a lot of what you said. But always caution against selling systems, personally. If you already bought it, you presumably will want to play something eventually, even if it's just FFXVI. You could find yourself in the position of not being able to get a PS5 for several years if things don't improve.

Were there any non- sequels, spin-offs, remakes, remasters, ports?

So, out of ALL of these games there are only three new games. One is entirely new (Triangle Strategy) and the other two are MP games (Lego Brawls and the FTP Disney Speedstorm)
Not good Nintendo at all!!! We need new IP's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Getsu Fuma Den isn't a port. Triangle Strategy is a new IP.

Aurelius

I agree with a lot of what you said. But always caution against selling systems, personally. If you already bought it, you presumably will want to play something eventually, even if it's just FFXVI. You could find yourself in the position of not being able to get a PS5 for several years if things don't improve.
Yeah, I realize that. But when I bought it, I didn’t know I would have the opportunity to go abroad. And now I can also do a favor for a friend. I’ll set the money aside and look around in the fall, depending on my mood.

cireza

Not great really. More old content we have already played in Mario Kart. Mario Striker looks the same as on GC, barely an evolution to be seen. Xeno 3 same stuff again and again, hopefully it will run at more than 240p. Another Musou.

Not that other manufacturers are doing a better job. First parties are the worst.

Kreen101

There was nothing in that Direct that interested me or my four sons, except the MK tracks and maybe Kirby if there's even the barest of challenge.

So... you're saying that they should milk it?

MK8 serves the Switch (and served the WiiU) extremely well and pushes it to the limits as it is.

This pretty much sums up why it's not worth Nintendo trying to rush a MK with decent changes onto the already maxed out Switch:
Nah, i’m saying I want a new game, i’m saying I want more effort. This is milking a single game.

Also in case it wasn’t clear I want it on the switch 2 not current switch. However mk8 doesn’t max out the current switch as it’s a wii u port and lowering the resolution would give wiggle room for more detail.

But again, I want a sequel on a new switch. You are just thinking sour grapes because you know damn well you would have loved to see mk9 rather than dlc. I’m not going to praise Nintendo for this.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
LOL that is a standard sequel.
I mean fair enough, I recently played it and its still good but it also plays far worse than modern Mario Kart games. The idea of having two on a kart is cool though.

poodaddy

I hate weeb shit, so it didn't do much for me for the most part. Seven though, just for Front Mission, Mario Strikers, Splatoon, and Kirby.

Chrono Cross hype as well. Yeah I know I said I hate weeb shit, and I do, but Chrono Cross is quality enough to get a pass from me. It also predates all the weird blobby character designs that most Japanese games have these days. Fucking weird shit.

Also, hype for Switch Sports and more Mario Kart.

I mean fair enough, I recently played it and its still good but it also plays far worse than modern Mario Kart games. The idea of having two on a kart is cool though.
Mario kart wii was the first that felt really refined as far as drifting and general mechanics. DD hasn’t aged as well but as far as the 2 character gimmick it doesn’t change anything radically.

Tbh I like mario kart 64 more than double dash for nostalgia sake.

Last edited:

Arthimura

6, and only because I love Xenoblade Chronicles.

I was expecting much more, at least a Metroid Prime Remastered, maybe a new Donkey Kong, MK9.

That's why I prefer Sony's State of Play, they're transparent towards what's going to be shown, and they say previously when there won't be new huge announcements.

Nautilus

Banned

So, out of ALL of these games there are only three new games. One is entirely new (Triangle Strategy) and the other two are MP games (Lego Brawls and the FTP Disney Speedstorm)
WTF is this logic?Many games here are remakes of games that never came to the West, or entries in series that haven't had a new entry in decades like Mario Strikers and Switch Sports

I want new IPs too, but this list is stupid.

Woopah

Some of your labels are wrong but I agree with your overall statement.

If there's one criticism I could make of the show it's the lack of new IP from Nintendo or third parties. There were 2 other new IPs in the Japan Direct but they have not been announced for the West.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Some of your labels are wrong but I agree with your overall statement.

If there's one criticism I could make of the show it's the lack of new IP from Nintendo or third parties. There were 2 other new IPs in the Japan Direct but they have not been announced for the West.

Thats fair I guess, but remember that not all of these titles are annual releases. The last Mario Strikers is over a decade old. Same for the last Wii(now Switch)-Sports. And it's the first 3D Kirby title ever, so not necessarily a typical sequel for the series. Also lets not act like Front Mission or Klonoa or Live A Live is something everyone under the sun has played or even knows about.

Sojiro

Honestly a 9 for me, but I really dig JRPG's and the plethora of Squenix JRPG's was really exciting to see, I really really like the 2D-HD style of some of these games, also what the hell Klonoa announcement out of left field. XC3 was also a nice surprise and looks great, really curious what direction the game will take considering both its predecessors worlds are in it. Funny enough, the biggest thing I wanted from the direct I didn't even get, which was a solid release date for Splatoon 3, I got a release window, but dammit that isn't good enough so I took away the point out of spite lol. All in all though, really solid direct for me.

Last edited:

Woopah

Thats fair I guess, but remember that not all of these titles are annual releases. The last Mario Strikers is over a decade old. Same for the last Wii(now Switch)-Sports. And it's the first 3D Kirby title ever, so not necessarily a typical sequel for the series. Also lets not act like Front Mission or Klonoa or Live A Live is something everyone under the sun has played or even knows about.
Yes the variety of franchises are good, but there isn't a lot of new IP. Whereas the other consoles have Ghostwire Tokyo, Redfall, Starfield and Elden Ring.

Hardensoul

Gold Member
This is a 9 to me one of the best Directs ever! But could’ve been a 10 if we had Zelda news(not Botw2 wasn’t expecting that). I refuse to except the Game and Watch was the only thing for 35th anniversary!😞

CamHostage

6, and only because I love Xenoblade Chronicles.

I was expecting much more, at least a Metroid Prime Remastered, maybe a new Donkey Kong, MK9.

That's why I prefer Sony's State of Play, they're transparent towards what's going to be shown, and they say previously when there won't be new huge announcements.

But Nintendo said it was going to show titles on their release calendar from the first half of year. We knew ahead of time to not expect brand new Christmas-release blockbusters announced. (And even at that, we got Xenoblade 3 as a bonus.) MP Remastered would have been nice if it's a real thing (MP4 is still a ways off and will likely be a big seasonal announcement,) but otherwise, a brand new, never-before-seen, platform-evolving title was unlikely by sheer factor of what was outlines as the show plan.

...Also, you might want to check back on some past Sony State of Play threads where we've talked about how "transparent" they are for what's going to be shown and how high expectations are for huge announcements. You might be surprised to discover how similar the two streams, and the reactions from fans, really are. (Even the GT7 SoP had some people expecting they'd slip a quick new trailer for like GoW Ragnarok in the end there, and they told us it was a GT7 SoP.)

I like the variety that Nintendo focuses on. Not just AAA titles. Excited for Advance Wars and I'll have to check out Strikers, I missed it on GameCube but always was interested cuz I do love me some arcadey sports games.

I didn't expect Prime 4 or BOTW2, but was hoping for a Prime 1 or Trilogy remaster.

Top Bottom