• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate the Xbox & Bethesda Showcase 2022

Rate the Showcase (1 being the lowest score, 10 being the highest)

Votes: 23 2.3%

Votes: 32 3.2%

Votes: 76 7.7%

Votes: 76 7.7%

Votes: 113 11.4%

Votes: 144 14.6%

Votes: 187 18.9%

Votes: 190 19.2%

Votes: 75 7.6%

Votes: 58 5.9%

Votes: 15 1.5%

• Total voters

Topher

Gold Member
8, EIGHT, I WILL GIVE YOU EIGHT KNOCKS ON YOUR NOGGIN.

Ray Donovan Baseball Bat GIF by Showtime

Lets Fight About It GIF

Vasto

I gave it a 7

Needed more from Xbox Studios. Only showing games coming with in the next year does not do it for me. I wanted to see games like Avowed, Fable, Hellblade 2 and Perfect Dark even if they are further then a year out.

Dont care about 3rd party stuff in the main show. Save those for the post show on Tuesday.

Roberts

8/10. Redfall and Starfield are obviously highlights. Can't wait to play Pentiment and High on Life this year - weird games are my jam. Never played Persona, so I'm a bit curious about it even though it doesn't really feel like a game for me. Also, Grounded has been great pretty much from the beginning, so final version is a must. Barely any next gen looking games, but I'm ok with that.

Reactions: Isa

Daytonabot

Banned
Coming from someone with no skin in the current gen console game, the show was an overall disappointment. However, Starfield looks like Microsoft's Bloodborne, something that towers over everything else they have ever published.

Reactions: Isa
5/10. I feel I am being too generous but the Kojima announcement was completely unexpected.

Oh and High on Life (Rick and Morty shooter) looks fun and was the only game that interested me. I'm sure Starfield will be loved by many but it really looked like a watered down no man sky and the combat looked so clunky.

ZehDon

I gave it an 8/10, but it could be a 7 and I wouldn't argue. I applaud sticking to what's coming in the next 12 months - even if it doubles down on the "wait till next year" meme - and seeing so much gameplay instead of another CGI announcement trailer for a game that's literally six or seven years away. Disappointed that there wasn't a single surprise, though.

With that said, the show itself still needs fundamental presentation work. The whiplash going from Diablo IV to AA stuff to live serve updates to Forza to indies... it just makes all of the smaller titles look that much worse. They can pretend that a game is a game is a game, but the folks tuning in to this show certainly doesn't think so.

And for fucks sake: stop pretending updates deserve the same billing as actual fucking games.

They should have clear, titled sections to this:
  1. Do a 15 minute pre-show with all of the live-service update announcements.
  2. Open with the smallest games first. Give them a proper chance to impress instead of sandwiching them between Forza and Diablo.
  3. Transition into the blockbuster section and drop the big titles everyone's actually tuning in for.
For me, there's a lot to enjoy from this. Scorn, Forza Motorsport, Lightyear Frontiers, Diablo IV, Starfield, Minecraft Legends, Ark 2. All in the next year, and most are on Gamepass. That's actually pretty terrific for just one show in honesty. The lack of big announcements hurt the show, and the stream video quality wasn't good.

Random notes:
  • Redfall looks worse every time I see it.
  • Every developer employs the same "trailer formula".
  • Nothing matches Xbox for sheer diversity of titles.
  • "Generic beat heavy pseudo-RNB trailer music" must be a genre.
  • Todd always has nice jackets.

slade

Show stunk. A solid 4/10.

The sole appearance of that Team Ninja game made it somewhat bearable. Also liked Flintlock and that Benedict Fox game. Other then that, I have no interest in Starfield or Kojima or the umpteenth First Person co-op shooter or battle royale so much of those announcements fell flat.

This show just reiterated that aside from some outliers here and there, the majority of what Xbox Game Studios make is not for me.

Anyone voting this low, please can you link me a presentation as comparison for what a good show is please?

This was literally the next 12 months of 90 percent game pass games you get as your sub....I just can't see how it's not a top class show.

You think Microsoft go out and make these game pass deals and then not show them to the public? I saw a serious handful of games I'll be checking out day one. Thought it was a top tier show. Easily an 8 as a minimum imo.
A bunch of indies and medium sized games, a few multiplats and a a so so showing of there flagpole title just isnt enough after having zero games released for the year... if you rate this over a 7 you would have to question your objectivity or you really like Starfeild and would have rated this highly no matter what was shown.

I was expecting a little, but it was a very solid showing and I like the Indy looking titles, Starfield and Wo long.

However there too many 2023 titles and it was bloated.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
They could've skipped almost everything just to go to the Starfield part. This show was build around starfield, might just give the game it's own "showcase". Everything else was 90min of dumping a lot of trailers people already forgot.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Anyone voting this low, please can you link me a presentation as comparison for what a good show is please?

This was literally the next 12 months of 90 percent game pass games you get as your sub....I just can't see how it's not a top class show.

You think Microsoft go out and make these game pass deals and then not show them to the public? I saw a serious handful of games I'll be checking out day one. Thought it was a top tier show. Easily an 8 as a minimum imo.

Right now I have 2 Xbox series S consoles sat downstairs going unused. Freebies from phone contract upgrades. I spend most of my gaming time on Playstation and PC, so I need a reason to sign up for GamePass because basically why do I want to pay for another subscription?

Honest truth: Although I can see the appeal of a lot of the stuff, for me, I didn't see too much to get me excited. At least not excited enough to subscribe long-term or otherwise invest more into MS' ecosystem.

ahtlas7

Don’t give a flip about Janker Pass. And I bowed out at half time. That show was aimed at someone who obviously wasn’t me.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I agree, if they're confident of Starfield releasing in Q1 why not give a date. I'm thinking August/September time.

Gives me time to get a new GPU at least.
Because they just announced a major delay for the game…after boldly coming out a year ago and promising they were going to put the game out this november. It would be a collosal embarassment for them to date it again, or even give it a window again, just to then delay it. Cd projekt red became a laughing stock after cyberpunk went from april, to september, to november, to december.

Kingsgoon

Felt very much like a showcase for a streaming service. "Look at all our content, please subscribe".

Then showing amazing games that will make you go and buy them. But I guess that's what's game pass is all about.

I rate it 3/10 without Starfield but 5/10 with Starfield.
There was really nothing there for me personally. Lots of multiplayer games, some game preview stuff getting a story (finally) and a bunch of mediocre mid tier games.
I'm really concerned that Starfield had a lot of No Man's Sky elements to it especially if they do the procedural generated planets. I played No Man's Sky after it had several years/updates and it wasn't great even then.
And the Kojima announcement was a nothing burger. It looked like he had trouble remembering which company he was working with for the announcement lol

Otre

Banned
It was fine. Gamepass still is the best value. No surprises. Starfield looked mid. Scorn, Benedict, Silksong, Diablo IV looked great.

6/10.

Kinda crazy the State of play's 3 main trailers (RE4, SF6 and FFXVI) or the Plucky Squire had more impact that this whole 95 minutes of announcements.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I gave it an 8/10, but it could be a 7 and I wouldn't argue. I applaud sticking to what's coming in the next 12 months - even if it doubles down on the "wait till next year" meme - and seeing so much gameplay instead of another CGI announcement trailer for a game that's literally six or seven years away. Disappointed that there wasn't a single surprise, though.

With that said, the show itself still needs fundamental presentation work. The whiplash going from Diablo IV to AA stuff to live serve updates to Forza to indies... it just makes all of the smaller titles look that much worse. They can pretend that a game is a game is a game, but the folks tuning in to this show certainly doesn't think so.

And for fucks sake: stop pretending updates deserve the same billing as actual fucking games.

They should have clear, titled sections to this:
  1. Do a 15 minute pre-show with all of the live-service update announcements.
  2. Open with the smallest games first. Give them a proper chance to impress instead of sandwiching them between Forza and Diablo.
  3. Transition into the blockbuster section and drop the big titles everyone's actually tuning in for.
For me, there's a lot to enjoy from this. Scorn, Forza Motorsport, Lightyear Frontiers, Diablo IV, Starfield, Minecraft Legends, Ark 2. All in the next year, and most are on Gamepass. That's actually pretty terrific for just one show in honesty. The lack of big announcements hurt the show, and the stream video quality wasn't good.

Random notes:
  • Redfall looks worse every time I see it.
  • Every developer employs the same "trailer formula".
  • Nothing matches Xbox for sheer diversity of titles.
  • "Generic beat heavy pseudo-RNB trailer music" must be a genre.
  • Todd always has nice jackets.
That's pretty much where I'm at. I barely hit an 8 on this one, could've gone 7. But Team Ninja day one took effort from them, and they framed it in the context of Xbox history. So they put in the effort to get that on Gamepass, and that's pretty much top tier announcement for me.

I do think you have a point about the pacing or framing. It's decent, but maybe it could be altered a bit.

Overall, I think there's going to be a lot to play. Stuff that just had small clips could turn out to be really good, like Scorn or Pentiment.

It's a lower score than I gave them last year, but they get some acknowledgment for showing basically 100% gameplay. I've definitely seen worse shows.

J3nga

Very weak to me. Nothing that interests me, bloated by indie. No hellblade 2, what the hell are they doing. Kojima game announcement, what the hell was that.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Right now I have 2 Xbox series S consoles sat downstairs going unused. Freebies from phone contract upgrades. I spend most of my gaming time on Playstation and PC, so I need a reason to sign up for GamePass because basically why do I want to pay for another subscription?

Honest truth: Although I can see the appeal of a lot of the stuff, for me, I didn't see too much to get me excited. At least not excited enough to subscribe long-term or otherwise invest more into MS' ecosystem.

If this didn't show you why you may want to try game pass over the next 12 months...nothing will.

gow3isben

Garbage. Starfield will be a bloated mess with so much filler and mediocre gameplay.

Looks like I won’t be buying the SeX until 2024 then.

Isa

Its funny because you can't please everyone. MS(Bond if I recall) started the show saying they're focusing on titles coming out in the next year, a first for them. People complain about MS announcing games too early. They decide to show games releasing in a relatively short window. People still complain. I think MS could have done themselves a favor tempering expectations by saying this earlier, probably back when they announced the event. But I get it, plans change and titles slide. Also, its not like the world's infrastructure has suddenly been restored to pre-pandemic conditions. So many still work from home, economies are on the fritz, tensions are high for many reasons. I'm just glad to be getting decent games. Hell if the recession hits bad in early 2023 like its been predicted by several CFO's I wonder how many devs and publishers close up shop or sell to bigger fish. When people can barely afford to drive, work and eat, it'll shake the industry, every industry. Gas for me on barely over half a tank was 72 dollarydoos on Friday. I could've got a game for that, or a controller and more.

I don't think people appreciate what's coming, and I think MS and Gamepass may be a very attractive offer in the future for the average consumer.

A 9 from me only because there was no contraband, hellblade II, perfect dark or avowed, and I was hoping for Wolfenstein to make an appearance or for a surprise Indiana Jones.

Redfall looked great, better than I hoped. Game Pass... sweet jesus lol. So many damn games coming to Game Pass!!! Flintlock also looks stunning as well. Super damn cool.

And Forza!? GOD DAMN!!!!!!!

The show was beginning to drag a little in the middle, but all of what they showed of starfield, catapulted the show up to a solid 9 for me. Bethesda Game Studios Maryland just don't miss! Game looks like everything I've ever wanted it to be and then some. Graphically it's unquestionably a massive jump over past Bethesda games. Stunning that the game looks so good on such a massive scale. Right now watching the trailers over.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I expected so much more, especially after talking with some people here about how it will be a banger etc...And all I saw was timed exclusives of games that barely interested me (except High on life and Plague tales), Forza looked amazing though, but disappointed in Redfall and Starfield.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Seems MS can't with with the losers on this board. Show CGI and reveals too far out and they get panned, show gameplay from releases in the next 12 months, get panned.

Thought it was a far showing, if everything releases as planned. Starfield, Forza, Redfall, Diablo 4 plague tale, wo long, silksong all in the next twelve months and you think this is bad?

Banjo64

cumsessed
I still need to see an example of a good showcase from people because I've been watching these shows for literally years and if you though that was a bad show you're fucked.
Xbox last year with Fable, Starfield, The Outer Worlds 2, Hellblade 2, FH5 - entire show slapped.

Fbh

A solid 7/10.

Not much in terms of exciting announcements but they showed a bunch of great looking stuff, we finally got a proper look at Starfield and it further promoted the tremendous value of Gamepass.

I also appreciate them focusing on stuff coming in the next year and with tons of gameplay instead of CGI announcements for stuff that's coming in 2025.

Only disappointment for me is Hellblade. It was the first game they announced for the system and it still seems like it's 1+ years away

Top Bottom