• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RDNA 2 peformance in recent games has been bad as RTX 3080 is on par or beating RX 6950 XT in lastest title in this RTX 4070 Super review video.

RDNA 2 peformance in recent games has been bad as RTX 3080 is on par or beating RX 6950 XT in lastest title in this RTX 4070 Super review video. Recent titles like Avatar, Alan Wake 2 and Starfield.

If you look at Lords of Fallen, RTX 3080 is really starting beat RX 6950 XT.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Some of the games HU tests have RT enabled by default. As we know, RDNA2 loses against Ampere in RT. So that skews the average result.

In rasterization only, the 3080 10GB and 6800XT are pretty much tied.
relative-performance-2560-1440.png

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Some of the games HU tests have RT enabled by default. As we know, RDNA2 loses against Ampere in RT. So that skews the average result.

I think there are some questions on AMD’s work or lack there of for 6000 series cards. Nvidia is still supporting 3000 series in driver updates.

And this is weird because it’s usually reversed with AMD having better long term driver support. This isn’t just RT scores.

I thought it may have been due to the large jump in geometry we've been seeing in recent titles, especially Avatar.

We know Nvidia have been ahead of AMD in that area for years now.

winjer

Gold Member
I think there are some questions on AMD’s work or lack there of for 6000 series cards. Nvidia is still supporting 3000 series in driver updates.

And this is weird because it’s usually reversed with AMD having better long term driver support. This isn’t just RT scores.

The RX 6000 is still supported in AMD's driver. And we have been getting performance improvements and features.
FOR example, AMFM and FSR3 work very well on RDNA2.

winjer

Gold Member
I thought it may have been due to the large jump in geometry we've been seeing in recent titles, especially Avatar.

We know Nvidia have been ahead of AMD in that area for years now.

Avatar has RT enabled by default. That is why Ampere performs better than RDNA2.

Starfield (No Ray Tracing) and Lords of Fallen has no auto Ray Tracing auto settings.

Alan Wake 2 native pro Nvidia due to proper utilization of DX12.

winjer

Gold Member
Starfield (No Ray Tracing) and Lords of Fallen has no auto Ray Tracing auto settings.

Alan Wake 2 native pro Nvidia due to proper utilization of DX12.

Some games perform better on AMD, other perform better on AMD. And some are a tie.
That's why when we get the average for a bunch of games, they are the same in rasterization.
Only in RT, does the 3080 has a good lead over the 6800XT.

Some games perform better on AMD, other perform better on AMD. And some are a tie.
That's why when we get the average for a bunch of games, they are the same in rasterization.
Only in RT, does the 3080 has a good lead over the 6800XT.
Read my post. I raid recent tittles not old titles. Like 4 months earlier releases games RTX 3080 is beating RX 6950 XT on high resolution.

winjer

Gold Member
Read my post. I raid recent tittles not old titles. Like 4 months earlier releases games RTX 3080 is beating RX 6950 XT on high resolution.

And other games, perform better on RDNA2.
For example, Remnant 2, also a recent game using UE5.
The 6800XT has better average. But most important, it has significantly better min FPS.
Seems to me you are just cherry picking results to pass your narrative.

min-fps-2560-1440.png

FireFly

RDNA 2 also seems to do ok in Robocop and Jusant, with the 6900 XT basically tying the 3080 at 4K and being faster at lower resolutions.

Last edited:

AMD has never really had better "long term driver support" it's just that they were stuck on the same architecture (GCN) for nearly a decade so it kept getting supported. The moment they started doing new designs again starting with RDNA, their driver support immediately fell off.

Meanwhile Nvidia continues to occasionally release drivers for even unsupported cards going back to Kepler (2012) to patch security issues. Maxwell GPU's (2014) are still being supported today with new driver releases.

Bojji

Test from 8 months ago:

6800XT was 2% slower in 1440p in pure raster and 6% slower in 4K which is understable because 3080 has much higher memory BW

53469457448_cb769399e3_b.jpg

And there are games that will just go out of vram on 3080 10GB.

FireFly

AMD has never really had better "long term driver support" it's just that they were stuck on the same architecture (GCN) for nearly a decade so it kept getting supported. The moment they started doing new designs again starting with RDNA, their driver support immediately fell off.
Well Polaris and Vega had full feature support for 4.5 years after RDNA 1 came out. So it's not as if they were suddenly abandoned.

Top Bottom