• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real talk: Nintendo controllers are ergonomically terrible (worse than the vita!)

Nymphae

Banned
I'm glad that it is much easier to test these things out than before. Microswitched keyboards, no-lever arcade sticks, Korean levers vs American vs Japanese (and all the brands therein). 35mm vs 24mm. Vewlix vs Noir vs Hitbox layout. Concave vs convex. Octogate vs square gate. 1lb vs 2lb springs. It's crazy how much tweaking can be done.

Yeah it's sort of nuts how many configurations there are, I still wish it was easier. I wish someone offered a box that allowed all of the major configurations - mounting for any type of stick, and multiple faceplate options for different button/sizes and layouts.

It took me a lot of time, money, and experimenting, but I've finally found the stick I like. The Crown 309MJ is what I'm sticking with I think. It uses JLF mounting, but aims to give you a Korean stick feel with the rubber grommet, which I've come to like a lot more than the JLF spring action. I've ordered a JLF conversion shaft for it, since Crown's shafts have the battop fused to it, the new shaft will let me use balltops if I want. If you haven't tried out a korean lever yet, I highly recommend it. I don't think I can go back to the flimsier 1LB JLF spring setup. I recently tried putting in a 2LB spring, and it initially felt better to me after becoming accustomed to the slightly stiffer Korean grommets, but ultimately, the grommets are better I think. After you work it in, it has such a great resistance, it's not so hard in the center, but the further away from neutral you move the more tension you feel, you really need to try one out.

Imtjnotu

I play Switch exclusively in handheld mode with joycons attached with zero issues. I have had zero issues with any controller in my life honestly.
This is how I play 99% of the time and the joycon are absolute junk. SSB always gets the direction I'm holding the joycon in wrong and if I don't calibrate them once a week it's even more trash

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
The Joy-cons are awful in almost every single way. Horrible ergonomics, so-so sticks, no d-pad and sometimes the Switch doesn't register input from the right one (yes, I'm looking at you, Mr. Jump button). Handheld is killing me.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Yea i havent played a nintendo system since the Wii, but i can see this being a real problem when i eventually pick up a switch. Its the one thing deterring me from doing the switch mini as well. I get the feeling the controllers will force me to wanna play docked the majority of the time

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Yeah it's sort of nuts how many configurations there are, I still wish it was easier. I wish someone offered a box that allowed all of the major configurations - mounting for any type of stick, and multiple faceplate options for different button/sizes and layouts.

It took me a lot of time, money, and experimenting, but I've finally found the stick I like. The Crown 309MJ is what I'm sticking with I think. It uses JLF mounting, but aims to give you a Korean stick feel with the rubber grommet, which I've come to like a lot more than the JLF spring action. I've ordered a JLF conversion shaft for it, since Crown's shafts have the battop fused to it, the new shaft will let me use balltops if I want. If you haven't tried out a korean lever yet, I highly recommend it. I don't think I can go back to the flimsier 1LB JLF spring setup. I recently tried putting in a 2LB spring, and it initially felt better to me after becoming accustomed to the slightly stiffer Korean grommets, but ultimately, the grommets are better I think. After you work it in, it has such a great resistance, it's not so hard in the center, but the further away from neutral you move the more tension you feel, you really need to try one out.
I've eyeballed a Taeyoung Fanta stick for the very reasons you listed. I actually have a few different ones and I like them all fine (which should be a counterargument against my claim that muscle memory matters so much...). A HORI Hayabusa stick, A JLF with 2lb spring + larger actuator, and a stock Seimitsu LS 40. I'd like to add a Taeyoung to the collection someday because the rubber grommet gives it a totally different feel.

My one and only Nintendo console was Wee or WiiU whatever its called..system and aimed kiddie games ain't for me.....However, pro controller for that system they were rocking was 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥💰

They have the pro controller as their decent, and arguably actually a very good controller. The rest is hot garbage.
If you're referring to the Switch Pro controller that thing is borderline immaculate. It's only flaw are the digital triggers (IMO). Lord only knows why they refuse to have trigger sensitivity as of late.

Paltheos

Hey, hey. Say what you will about Nendy's controllers, but I'll be damned if I stand by will you diss on the Vita.

Top Bottom