• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend me a Switch game for a plane journey Gaf!

Yo!

So I'm leaving for the sunny skies on a long plane journey and I need a decent Switch game to take with me.

I'm currently looking at Digimon Cyber Sleuth or Ni No Kuni. Both excellent JRPGS... Cyber Sleuth has been made by some of the devs from the Persona series etc so that's a big plus!

I'm primarily looking for a JRPG :)

What do you guys think?

Cheers!

Last edited:

Shifty1897

If you're a masochist, Romancing SaGa 3. Otherwise, Fire Emblem or Tales of Vesperia. All good Switch RPGs.

I hear Ni No Kuni is rough on Switch, you've been warned. I don't know about Digimon, I've never played one, so I won't recommend it but if you pick that up let me know how you liked it.

DonF

I had a 14 hours flight playing zelda botw all the way, make sure to take a usb c cable with you to charge the switch while you game!

So my recommendation is, BotW obviously, Link's Awakening, Dragon Quest XI, Mario + Rabbids, more slow paced games. (thats just personal preference, I prefer playing action games on TV with the pro controller)

Have a nice trip!

If you're a masochist, Romancing SaGa 3. Otherwise, Fire Emblem or Tales of Vesperia. All good Switch RPGs.

I hear Ni No Kuni is rough on Switch, you've been warned. I don't know about Digimon, I've never played one, so I won't recommend it but if you pick that up let me know how you liked it.

Rough in what way bro? Yeah man I will for sure.

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
I haven’t finished Ni no Kuni yet but it’s not as rough for me as a lot of folks are making it out to be and it’s a great game so far

Fbh

I'm playing through Cyber Sleuth on Switch right now.

So far I'm liking it a lot even though you can feel the budget restrictions. I don't really know who made it but it definitely has strong Persona/SMT vibes, feels more like Digimon themed Atlus game than a Pokemon game (which tends to be the obvious comparison).
I'm liking how evolving and devolving works, it's fairly addicting and so far flows fairly quickly (in that you are constantly evolving/devolving your team). Unlike Pokemon I've actually found some fights to be hard, and they have forced me to rethink my team and strategy, which is nice. It's fairly story focused with a lot of dialog but so far the story hasn't grabbed me, the opening was interesting but since then it hasn't gone anywhere interesting, though I've been told the first several chapters are like that and then the story starts to get interesting, I hope it's true.

But overall I'd recommend it, particularly if you have any attachment to the Digimon IP

Last edited:

Shifty1897

Rough in what way bro? Yeah man I will for sure.
Audio/visual glitches during cutscenes, crashes, struggling frame rate on the world map, there are a lot of videos detailing the issues of the port. I will say I haven't seen the issues firsthand since these reports scared me away from buying it on Switch, and it's possible some stability patching has improved the situation since I last checked in.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
out of those two games i'd recommed ni no kuni and i haven't even played it.

cyber sleuth bored me but a lot of people seem to like it.

Make sure you have a power bank.

In my experience, you'll get bored. I'd recommend one long jrpg. And several small digital games that are more action oriented or puzzle. Just some variety.

Saber

Cyber Sleuth its already a nice adition to you. Won't be dissapointed.

Did you played Dragon Quest XI? Great rpg game. Retains the turn based game, great characters and a vast yet charming open world. Watch some videos and see if it interests you.

Fbh

Oh also, about digimon, as I said I'm linking it but the localization is trash, probably the worst I've personally seen in a game and that includes a bunch of fan translations over the years. A lot of dialog lines are just weird and every now and then you'll get one that doesn't really make sense in the context of what is being talked about. Sometimes there's also formatting issues, like you'll have 3 possible answers on 3 different lines but the first answer is too long so the last couple of words just jump over to the second line.

It's not bad enough to be a dealbreaker or make you unable to understand the story, but it's still something to keep in mind if you are bothered by this sort of stuff.

Thanks man. I'll keep that in mind. How in depth is the game play? Is there a lot of fun strategy involved with the battles and collecting and evolving or devolving Digimon? That's something that really interests me.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Dragon Quest XI S
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Atelier Ryza
Octopath Traveler
Valkyria Chronicles 1 or 4
Ni no Kuni
Tales of Vasperia

Last edited:
I would say Dragon: Marked for Death, but it is a challenging game without friends or a Local Multiplayer.

Probably Celeste? That is a good game to try out on a journey.

God Enel

I started playing children of morta recently and if you’re into pixel graphics I highly recommend it. It’s so much fun. The story the family. And what I absolutely love is the storyteller (what’s it called? Like in darkest dungeon or bastion)

its only 20 bucks afaik (I’m playing on steam) and a shitload of fun. I only have 4 (out of 6 characters) now and they’re all fun and different to play. It’s more or less like enter the gungeon just more mature and not about Guns. But you have this world hub and jump into randomly generated dungeons that you have to clear/ find a way out.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm not fluent in switch games but I would imagine you'd want something that progresses over many hoursm without being repetitive. Best guess is Zelda: Breath of the Wild fulfills that. If not that...maybe go between Astral Chain with breaks of Smash?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm not fluent in switch games but I would imagine you'd want something that progresses over many hoursm without being repetitive. Best guess is Zelda: Breath of the Wild fulfills that. If not that...maybe go between Astral Chain with breaks of Smash?
I LOVE Astral Chain and its currently my personal GOTY but I wouldn't recommend playing Astral Chain in handheld mode. Both the visuals and performance looks really on handled but its one game that you need pro controller for it.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I LOVE Astral Chain and its currently my personal GOTY but I wouldn't recommend playing Astral Chain in handheld mode. Both the visuals and performance looks really on handled but its one game that you need pro controller for it.
this is why I won't buy the switch lite. The black friday deal mentioned last week will be the older version of the switch right? Is there a way to tell the difference on the box?

EDIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT: :messenger_open_mouth::messenger_open_mouth::messenger_open_mouth::messenger_open_mouth::messenger_open_mouth:

EDIT 2: Oh...it's only the game and a controller.

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

Is there a way to tell the difference on the box?
Yes

This is the older one
s0xTi84.jpg

This is the newer one
j8Cg1K6l.jpg

Last edited:
Yo!

So I'm leaving for the sunny skies on a long plane journey and I need a decent Switch game to take with me.

I'm currently looking at Digimon Cyber Sleuth or Ni No Kuni. Both excellent JRPGS... Cyber Sleuth has been made by some of the devs from the Persona series etc so that's a big plus!

I'm primarily looking for a JRPG :)

What do you guys think?

Cheers!
Fire emblem, dragons dogma, pillars of eternity, divinity original sin 2, dragon quest 11, draong quest builders 2, Ys 8, Valkria Chronicles 1 & 4, witcher 3, skyrim, tales of vesperia, disgaea 4 & 5, octopath travel ar, diablo 3 Nino kuni.

For indie and Retro, baldur's gate 1&2, icewind dale, torment, dead cells, children of morta, ff 7-12.

Really you can't go wrong with any of these. But if you haven't played fire emblem, dq11, builders 2, witcher 3, I would pick one of those.

Thanks for everyone's input so far! I think right now it's a toss up between Digimon Cyber Sleuth or Ni No Kuni.

I remember playing Ni No Kuni back in the PS3 days and as a big fan of Ghilbi I instantly fell in love with it... However I hit a massive difficulty spike and never did get back to it. Although I can always just grind and over level seeing as I have a long plane journey to get through! I'm so conflicted lol.

Any recommendations on a decent portable charger would be great too!

Cheers all!

Top Bottom