• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend music to me. I'll give everything posted a listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

taco543

giphy.gif

Hidden Orchestra - Dust (remix by Floex)

Hope you like it, I'm a big audiophile (over half my of my phone space is used up by music) and music is a really important part of my life, too.

vulva

I can't imagine it's possible to live up to the idea of listening to everything posted in this thread, but I'll offer at least one song.

These guys are my favourite live band out there right now and I feel like their sound is distinct enough to give something new. They do a sort of synth, dance punk sound. Fantastic band that I wish more people knew about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww1lZJF9uug

Fugu

So I have a somewhat related story. I was a pretty late comer to music and I thought it was because the art form didn't appeal to me very much. Turns out it just took me longer than most to find the kind of music that I liked -- I hated, and still hate, most pop music and I'm lukewarm at best towards most of the mainstream rock canon (love Nirvana and the Beatles, though). I now actually have a degree in music and I can't really imagine what my life would be like without it.

People have given you a lot of recommendations in this thread so far. I don't see any jazz, however, and since that's my wheelhouse I'll give you some links to that:

Miles Davis - It Never Entered My Mind
Thelonius Monk - Ruby, My Dear
Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - Moanin
Charles Mingus - II B.S. (better known as Haitian Flight Song)
Sleep Walker - The Voyage

Jazz is an ocean. If you like it and want to hear more, PM me or post in this thread.

Two good choices. Love me some Wax. The dude can spit.

For the OP, since you have no specific genre/genres would you like some Euphoric Hardstyle?

Wasted Penguinz Clarity album is a decent choice. This duo is one of the best Euphoric Hardstyle producer's right now.

How about some regular Hardstyle?

Audiofreq's Audiology album is a solid choice that came out recently. Solid production values and solid transitions.

I also can't not post two of my favorite rapper's right now in Pryde and Dumbfoundead. Dumbfoundead's We Might Die (Youtube playlist linked) is a great album that focuses on his views on recent events before the New Year.

Pryde's i dont belong here from last year is a good album that focuses on feelings and not belonging anywhere.

Another choice I would suggest to the OP is Drunken Tiger's Drunken Tiger - 내가 싫다 I Hate Myself (feat. Lady Tasha). A good rap song that delves into yourself.

PlayDat

Afrocious, I hope you find the appreciation for music you're looking for. However, it's not such a bad thing if you don't. Some people just have a higher inclination to enjoy one medium over others. I listen to 1-2 hours of music most days but watch very few movies or tv shows. There are only a handful of works in either I could manage a prolonged conversation about beyond a surface level. Some people can gorge themselves on nearly all popular forms of entertainment, but they're a rare breed.

In terms of critical opinion, music might possibly be the most subjective of them all. If you find yourself not enjoying some highly revered work there are probably tons of other people into music of the same genre who don't like it. Have fun exploring!

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
If you really want to get into more music, I'd really just recommend finding a list of the best albums from the past few years and listening to the ones that seem most interesting. This list has a ton of great albums the 2000's, some of them will be familiar to you. Gaf is going to recommend a lot of garbage metal/prog rock/K-pop albums, there'll be too much crap to wade through before you find something that you like.

PlayDat

&&&&& isn't exactly the most easy listen for a new listen. I'd actually recommend Xen, largely because it's more accessible as an album.

I'd recommend: Xen -> Arca EPs -> &&&&&& -> Mutant -> Entranas

You make a good point, but the OP says they're willing to try anything. Let's push them into the deep end.

You make a good point, but the OP says they're willing to try anything. Let's push them into the deep end.
Fair enough, but I feel with new listeners, you need to ease them into it.

For example, when I first started listening to music, a friend recommended Burial's "Rival Dealer" to me as an intro to the man. At the time, I couldn't really understand what was going on with the EP and I hated it. It soured me on Burial for the longest time, till I revisited it back in 2015. Then, I fell in love with it.

Pushing someone into the metaphorical deep end if they aren't used to that kind of music can really sour people on some great artists. It'd be like if you told a new music listener to discover Kanye through "Yeezus."

Diabelli

So yeah, basically garbage. I hate talking about music. Everyone's an asshole about it and I never had a reason to get into any seriously.
Anyone who defines themselves by the music they listen to and has an air of superiority about it can go suck a dick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom