• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RedLetterMedia's Nerd Crew is frightening

GreyHorace

Frightening in the sense that it's not far off from the stuff it's satirizing. I always thought that Mike, Jay and Rich hammed it up and exaggerated the nerd stereotype whenever they did Nerd Crew.

But Holy shit... I never realized how close they were to the reality of these podcasts they're sending up. It's hilarious how places like Collider, Schmoes and IGN's Screen Junkies aren't that far off from the Nerd Crew. You only need to watch these video comparisons to see the horror:

These people are supposed to be professional movie critics? For real?

teezzy

Banned
As a connoisseur of midwestern snark, RLM will forever be my favorite movie critics. The only popular channel I know of who realized just how much Rogue One was a disappointment while everyone blew smoke up its ass. Bless their hearts.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
These over-polished inauthentic nerd channels are the worst. It's what big corporations think the average geeky consumer wants to see, and 9/10 apparently they're right. Blind optimism and shilling is disgustingly sycophantic in every regard. My friends who speak towards excitement of *insert upcoming movie/game* without a fundamental understanding of realistic expectations makes me wanna punch them in the throat as well. Nauseating. People who collect Funko Pops should be deported.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I barely followed the "drama", but didn't Shatner refuse to do RLM when asked by their fans because he thought this was an actual podcast they did?

Just realised they have two new HITB and a BOTW I haven't seen, fuck. When I'm not playing WoW with a second monitor free my Youtube sense lapses.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
These over-polished inauthentic nerd channels are the worst. It's what big corporations think the average geeky consumer wants to see, and 9/10 apparently they're right. Blind optimism and shilling is disgustingly sycophantic in every regard. My friends who speak towards excitement of *insert upcoming movie/game* without a fundamental understanding of realistic expectations makes me wanna punch them in the throat as well. Nauseating. People who collect Funko Pops should be deported.
I agreed with you 100 percent up until this point lol. Funkos are the least of these nerd's problems.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Hey guys, did you know the background for the Nerd Crew thumbnail is from the hit Sega Genesis videogame Sonic the Hedgehog 2, released in 1992?

Specifically its from the second level Chemical Plant Zone which is famous for its music and general aesthetic. Thats crazy.

Neil Young

tKV8m4A.gif

I never realized that the way Jay and Mike talk into the mic from side to side like a cock gobbler at a glory hole was not just a random gag but based on the actual star wars youtubers pods. I watched some sw nerd pod and they were doing that for reasons I cannot fathom.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
I barely followed the "drama", but didn't Shatner refuse to do RLM when asked by their fans because he thought this was an actual podcast they did?
It’s a bit more complicated than that

There are small Youtube channels out there with less than 10k subs who exhibit far more sincere passion and interest about their nerdy hobbies than these fakers (Not RLM) do.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

The sheer shilling by these people is pure cringe. The RLM guys summed it up best with this statement:

U5507HR.gif

I mean, those cunts at Collider literally say FUCK YOU if you hate Star Wars.

No, YOU’VE spent hours watching Rich and Mike just talk about TNG episodes...

I'd rather watch a bunch of overweight Midwest schlubs talking about a show they love than watch one minute of these fake nerds suck Disney's cock.

The meltdown of that guy in jedi council that wasnt invited to the Park surpased anything nerd crew satirizes

Aside from the fact it was pure cringe, I think Rich was thinking the exact same thing when he was reacting to it.

There are small Youtube channels out there with less than 10k subs who exhibit far more sincere passion and interest about their nerdy hobbies than these fakers (Not RLM) do.

Can you give me sample of said channels? Aside from RedLetterMedia and perhaps James Rolfe I don't know any other channels that are like the ones you describe.

Nymphae

Banned
Me personally, I love Star Wars.

I clapped when I saw R2D2.

OG member of the cast, able to be on screen exactly as he was since the first movie, gets 10 minutes of screentime across 3 movies (I didn't actually see the third ST movie and am assuming the trend held)

GreyHorace

OG member of the cast, able to be on screen exactly as he was since the first movie, gets 10 minutes of screentime across 3 movies (I didn't actually see the third ST movie and am assuming the trend held)

Probably because Disney wanted to sell toys of their new characters, like R2's replacement BB-8. I remember it was said that George Lucas gets a royalty payment for any merchandise sold of characters he created. So of course Disney being greedy fucks set aside any toys of the Original Trilogy (OT) characters so as not to give Lucas a dime.

Of course that ended up blowing up in their faces as sales of the Sequel toys bombed because fans hated how the trilogy turned out. So Disney is back to selling OT merchandise. Lol

Last edited:
Hey guys, did you know the background for the Nerd Crew thumbnail is from the hit Sega Genesis videogame Sonic the Hedgehog 2, released in 1992?

Specifically its from the second level Chemical Plant Zone which is famous for its music and general aesthetic. Thats crazy.
Wow. That's nuts.
I'm so glad to be apart of this.
I'm more overjoyed about Nerd BoxTM.
I get nostalgia.
There is nothing else here.
There is nothing else here.

Top Bottom