• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy reports 22% revenue decline, €28.6 Million Operating Loss in 2023, expecting AW2 sales to increase profit in 2024

DaGwaphics

If they expect AW2 to make big bucks without them releasing it on the biggest money making PC Platform, then they're delusional.

Maybe they plan on doing that in 2024. Though maybe Epic exclusivity is a longer or permanent arrangement given the games publishing. 🤷‍♂️

They are a creative studio that has their own identity and style, hopefully they can get back to profitability before it impacts them too much.

Guilty_AI

Because it's a good fucking game and deserves to be supported. I swear you freaks want all these Devs to go bust.

The game can be selling well but it deserves to sell Great.
Eh, there is no shortage of devs out there that deserve support either. Many of which release their games to the convenience of the player and focus on being fun and interesting rather than poisoning their product with racist DEI bullshit. I'll give my money to them instead.

Last edited:
Max Payne was a mainstream hit, right?

Remedy ended up being a "one trick pony". why their games don't resonate with mainstream audiences?

I honestly keep forgetting that AW2 is a thing.

I'm saying this as someone who isn't white, but I can't stand dialogue like this. Why make it about color or race, just say "asshole" without the "white" part. For a game that's trying to be "inclusive", shit like this just emphasizes the divide among some people.
because that's autehtic dialog

I replayed Max Payne games a few months back and I honestly can see why they're combining both games into one. Both shares the same engine, story is continued between them and game is reusing a lot of characters and even some locations

I'm curious how they will approach the story and how many changes they will do and how James McCaffrey's passing will impact the development

Yea I don't remember the games being that long either. I remember I started one when my cousin went to work and was done by the time he got home.

Doom85

Opinions on this game seem to get more negative over time.

I’m now wary how many of the negative “opinions” online are from people who actually played the game.

Caught someone on gamefaqs whining about “Alan Woke” and how garbage the game was and he hated playing it and so on, and he then said, “and can these ‘diverse-loving’ western games acknowledge any culture besides America?! There’s more than white and black Americans in the world you know!”

And I was like, “bruh, do you think Finland is located within the U.S.? Do you think Norse mythology originated from the U.S.?”

And he responded with, “what do either of those have to do with Alan Wake?”

simon cowell facepalm GIF
That 70S Show Lol GIF by IFC

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
PC games don’t sell on Epic Game Store.

It’s not worth letting Tim bankroll your games, when it’ll take years to actually start getting paid for it.

Radical_3d

Yeah no way I'm buying this unless there's a physical version.
With the ammount of commentaries like this I'm still amazed how little companies know about their public. Sure, the split may be 65:35 to digital but that's accounting aaaaaall type of games and gamers. You release a top tier, GPU demanding, narrative driven, hardcore 360 era referenced, single player videogame and GASP! The buyers are not the kids that are installing Fortnite! Cannot be!

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Go Wake, go break!

Seriously though, I presume most of the AW2 sales end up in this year's sales figures whereas the development costs fell last year.

They will only see any dime from Alan wake 2 once Epic has recouped the costs. And the costs were anyway bankrolled by Epic. So basically alan wake 2 has nothing to do with any finances of remedy this year or before.
That's why they say they expect revenues from Alan wake 2 next year (presumably Epic would've recouped the costs by then).

Tomi

Just release Control 2, and you can close the company
They will cut employees for sure, huge loss
Thanks

Last edited:

tkscz

AW1 sold only around 5million units, while that's nothing to sneeze at, it's also not something you should use to keep the company a float either. At that AW1 had legs because of word of mouth where as AW2 doesn't have that same sort of push from a community stand point.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
AW1 sold only around 5million units, while that's nothing to sneeze at, it's also not something you should use to keep the company a float either. At that AW1 had legs because of word of mouth where as AW2 doesn't have that same sort of push from a community stand point.
AW1's 5M sold is also across a decade, included in bundles and dumped at bargain bin prices.

Don’t think their current output and revenue is sustainable, they really need their next few projects to sell 4 million plus each, such a talented studio making too many niche games like Alan wake and control, they should try to licence some IPs, a John wick game would sell bucket loads.

MikeM

So sales for Alan Wake still hasn't made back the budget for the game.
If it wasn't for Epic's money, this game would probably put Remedy in a very bad spot.
Flip side is if Epic would not have been involved, perhaps this would have launched on Steam day 1. That’s what i’m waiting for.

Reallink

I’m now wary how many of the negative “opinions” online are from people who actually played the game.

Caught someone on gamefaqs whining about “Alan Woke” and how garbage the game was and he hated playing it and so on, and he then said, “and can these ‘diverse-loving’ western games acknowledge any culture besides America?! There’s more than white and black Americans in the world you know!”

And I was like, “bruh, do you think Finland is located within the U.S.? Do you think Norse mythology originated from the U.S.?”

And he responded with, “what do either of us have to do with Alan Wake?”

simon cowell facepalm GIF
That 70S Show Lol GIF by IFC
He wasn't wrong though, "woke western culture" is a monoculture with identical precepts in every part of Europe, every part of the US, every part of Australia, every part of Canada, etc... Did you not wonder why a Finnish studio is producing social commentary on the struggles of American black women in the first place?

Last edited:

tkscz

AW1's 5M sold is also across a decade, included in bundles and dumped at bargain bin prices.
Good point. I remember it flopping back in the day so I was honestly surprised that it even got a sequel. Now they are depending on AW2 to sell even more to hold up the company for the year, why?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Good point. I remember it flopping back in the day so I was honestly surprised that it even got a sequel. Now they are depending on AW2 to sell even more to hold up the company for the year, why?
Everyone was surprised at a sequel. Not surprisingly it didnt sell great.

I dont think there is one gamer on Earth begging for AW2, but here we are. IMO, most games are just made made by studios rolling the dice it'll be a hit or not. The only games that seem to have a foundation of business sense are big name IPs and sequels. I think of gaming like restaurants and food joints. The big game franchises are like Mcdonalds and KFC. A lot of money and planning goes into franchisee stores and there is a lot of structure and business sense.

But the mom and pop shops are like the rest of gaming. They got a pool of money or a business loan to make a game and they just make what they like and hope it sells. You'll get some awesome eateries from this random pot of food places, but also a ton of bad ones which are lousy or you think to yourself... "why would this owner put this place here?". It's like a disaster right from day one they had an idea on a napkin. Personally, I think the vast majority of game studios just wing it with no real research or anything. They just make a game they feel like making and pray when they do their beta test 3 years later it's good. And then pray again the final release is good.

Doom85

Did you not wonder why is a Finnish studio is producing social commentary on the struggles of American black women in the first place?

Because the game is set IN America? Like a ton of Remedy‘s games?

Do you think other countries are oblivious to other countries’ political and social issues? We’ve had Internet access for a long ass time, it’s time to stop acting like everyone is just oblivious to what’s going on in countries outside of their own. Like, the anime Akudama Drive had commentary regarding police brutality and unlawful executions of criminals, which I‘m pretty sure is not an issue with Japan’s police force as far as I’m aware.

Also, just yet another reminder that this moment in Alan Wake 2 (which since it’s the evil doppelgänger of Saga saying it, it is a clear message of “racism against white people is bad” which SHOULD have pleased the anti-woke crowd, but then a good deal of them realized that meant no dramatic overreactions so they moved the goalposts and started rambling about, “um, well, if a white character called someone a black asshole, it would be an issue!”, which is some serious whataboutism, because heaven fucking forbid either the woke or anti-woke not be crying about some random tangent 24/7) was like TWO SECONDS in a 10-15 hour game. This is a crowning example of making a mountain out of a mole hill.

StereoVsn

Why not buy it digital?

Excellent can't wait I bought the deluxe edition.

Because it's a good fucking game and deserves to be supported. I swear you freaks want all these Devs to go bust.

The game can be selling well but it deserves to sell Great.
I don’t support EGS and I prefer physical media. So either the game is on Steam or I can get a physical copy for the console. It’s a fairly straightforward ask.

Plus considering that in a game called Alan Wake you only play as said Alan Wake about half of the time, meh?

El Muerto

They can easily recoup the loss if they just release the damn game on Steam and give us a physical console release.

Reallink

Do you think other countries are oblivious to other countries’ political and social issues? We’ve had Internet access for a long ass time, it’s time to stop acting like everyone is just oblivious to what’s going on in countries outside of their own. Like, the anime Akudama Drive had commentary regarding police brutality and unlawful executions of criminals, which I‘m pretty sure is not an issue with Japan’s police force as far as I’m aware.

Also, just yet another reminder that this moment in Alan Wake 2 (which since it’s the evil doppelgänger of Saga saying it, it is a clear message of “racism against white people is bad” which SHOULD have pleased the anti-woke crowd, but then a good deal of them realized that meant no dramatic overreactions so they moved the goalposts and started rambling about, “um, well, if a white character called someone a black asshole, it would be an issue!”, which is some serious whataboutism, because heaven fucking forbid either the woke or anti-woke not be crying about some random tangent 24/7) was like TWO SECONDS in a 10-15 hour game. This is a crowning example of making a mountain out of a mole hill.
But that was your counter-argument to the "Alan Woke" Gamefaqs post, challenging his assertion with the implication that Finland is a far off foreign land with its own rich culture that has nothing to do with woke American politics. Yet here we are, and these are indeed some of the themes in Alan Wake 2.

So again, he wasn't wrong. I'm pointing out why your response didn't own him as you imagine it did. The fact that he doesn't know Remedy is Finnish is immaterial to his point, ironically it actually strengthens and supports it.

Last edited:

Doom85

But that was your counter-argument to the "Alan Woke" Gamefaqs post, challenging him with the implication that Finland is a far off foreign country with its own culture that has nothing to do with woke American politics.

It wasn’t, and you clearly didn’t read my first post carefully (and did you play Alan Wake 2?). That person was complaining that these games only represent white and black Americans and no other cultures. Even if the Alan Wake 2 cast is white and black and in America, quite a few of the characters are also Finnish and the game makes that very clear, and likewise the game includes a decent amount of Norse mythology.

How you took that and went, “oh, so you’re saying Finland is ignorant of American politics and social issues?”, I don’t know. That wasn’t even the point of what I was getting at, my first post was calling someone out who clearly never even played the game yet pretended to just to get angry about it, and my suspicions that there are likely others who are doing the same. THAT’S IT. It was pretty clear and simple. No matter what angle they go far, anyone who is flat out lying about actually playing a game is well, a liar, and that makes anything else they say potentially untrustworthy as well.

I don’t think saying, “hey, don’t lie” should be a hot take.

Last edited:

Reallink

It wasn’t, and you clearly didn’t read my first post carefully (and did you play Alan Wake 2?). That person was complaining that these games only represent white and black Americans and no other cultures. Even if the Alan Wake 2 cast is white and black and in America, quite a few of the characters are also Finnish and the game makes that very clear, and likewise the game includes a decent amount of Norse mythology.

How you took that and went, “oh, so you’re saying Finland is ignorant of American politics and social issues?”, I don’t know. That wasn’t even the point of what I was getting at, my first post was calling someone out who clearly never even played the game yet pretended to just to get angry about it, and my suspicions that there are likely others who are doing the same. THAT’S IT. It was pretty clear and simple. No matter what angle they go far, anyone who is flat out lying about actually playing a game is well, a liar, and that makes anything else they say potentially untrustworthy as well.

I don’t think saying, “hey, don’t lie” should be a hot take.

I read it, the problem is you didn't say any of that, you said LOLRemedyFinland. The Gamefaqs post was no doubt hyperbolic and probably disingenuous, but was ultimately commentary on the broader issue of woke themes infecting everything. You pointing out Remedy is Finnish and steeped in Norse history only illustrates how right he was--a prime example how deeply ingrained and far reaching woke themes are.

Last edited:

Doom85

I read it, the problem is you didn't say any of that, you said LOLRemedyFinland. The Gamefaqs post was no doubt hyperbolic and probably disingenuous, but was ultimately commentary on the broader issue of woke themes infecting everything. You pointing out Remedy is Finnish and steeped in Norse history only illustrates how right he was--a prime example how deeply ingrained and far reaching woke themes are.

Batman Facepalm GIF by WE tv

BRUH. I wasn’t pointing out in my first post that Remedy is Finland. I was pointing out that there are multiple characters that are American and Finnish in Alan Wake 2, and that Norse mythology is a part of the game, not about where the studio itself is located. And when that Gamefaqs poster expressed confusion about what Finland and Norse mythology had to do with Alan Wake 2’s characters, it made it very clear they had lied about even playing the game (or at least playing it anywhere even close to completion).

That‘s what I clearly said. Stop trying to read between the lines there, there’s nothing to fucking read.

I don’t like people who lie about shit like that poster on gamefaqs did, and if they start to “justify” said lying, they will continue to plummet in my estimation of them. PERIOD.

Kerotan

Eh, there is no shortage of devs out there that deserve support either. Many of which release their games to the convenience of the player and focus on being fun and interesting rather than poisoning their product with racist DEI bullshit. I'll give my money to them instead.
Alan Woke you say.

Tbf it wasn't too bad. They got in the arbitrary lesser and a protagonist of colour but whatever it's still top quality.

DaGwaphics

Batman Facepalm GIF by WE tv

BRUH. I wasn’t pointing out in my first post that Remedy is Finland. I was pointing out that there are multiple characters that are American and Finnish in Alan Wake 2, and that Norse mythology is a part of the game, not about where the studio itself is located. And when that Gamefaqs poster expressed confusion about what Finland and Norse mythology had to do with Alan Wake 2’s characters, it made it very clear they had lied about even playing the game (or at least playing it anywhere even close to completion).

That‘s what I clearly said. Stop trying to read between the lines there, there’s nothing to fucking read.

I don’t like people who lie about shit like that poster on gamefaqs did, and if they start to “justify” said lying, they will continue to plummet in my estimation of them. PERIOD.

It's obvious that the "own" is that this user that "hated playing this game" never actually played it as they clearly know nothing about it deeper than the advertisements and memes. Seemed perfectly clear to me.

BigBeauford

u6SPEAujq8xSstEytVhEnK.jpg

Leftists canceled Cyberpunk because of this shit. It's about time there was some equal measure of pushback, whether it's big or small.

Top Bottom