• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remnant 2 devs did no-hit runs to test their bosses 'if you could beat it the first time, it was too easy'

Remnant 2 follows in the footsteps of its soulslike inspirations with some truly gnarly—and inventive—bosses. There are fey princes who call down deadly swords, knight-kings that raise walls of flame, and this big purple alien guy. My personal favourite is a boss in the Labyrinth zone, which is just a bunch of deadly cubes with nooks you have to crouch under.

It turns out that, in order to get the vibe right, Remnant 2's dev team went boots-on-the-ground themselves—as revealed by principal environment artist Shaun Brahmsteadt II in a recent interview with Exputer.
"In general, if you could beat [the boss] the first time, it was too easy. Designers were often challenged to complete no-hit runs on bosses. Usually, the ones that got close but couldn’t completely do it were the most successful." You can tune all the numbers in the world, but it's no replacement for getting a handle on the game-feel yourself. Still, the no-hit modifier is a fun dash of masochism on top.

I'm reminded of how, last year, Final Fantasy 14's devs actually had to apologise for testing their Savage difficulty raid too well. They always add a "little extra" to bosses under the assumption that World First players are better than them, but their playtest team actually performed better than anticipated, and threw the whole thing off-kilter. It's a delicate balance, so having the metric be something most players won't go for—a no-hit run—is smart.

"At [Gunfire Games], we really try to make games we would want to play ourselves … Bloodborne, Dark Souls, and Elden Ring [are] favourites of a vast majority of our team. I think from the beginning, our goal was to make the game challenging. We, as a studio, like to challenge ourselves; It’s a core philosophy of Gunfire."
s4oeXCquFMCwVzzhdxYe57-970-80.jpg.webp

Brahmsteadt also reveals that the game has three DLCs in the chamber: "I can’t reveal too much at this time, but we have 3 DLCs planned, and I’m super excited for them!"

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Bloodstained did this too. No hit run is really the absolute bare minimum requirement in my opinion. Any hit you literally can't avoid, defend or counter in some way is cheap and bad design.

My friends are fresh into girlfriend territory so theyre not allowed to play games. Hows the game in solo? I played the first with said friends a few times and was pretty decent.
I've put around ~35 hours into it and I'd say it's very good for a solo experience. The only real difficulty I had was during the last boss (e.g. Annihilation) which forced me to learn all of its patterns. But other than that, smooth sailing.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
How solo-player friendly is the game? I've been meaning to pick it up.

edit: Just saw Thick's response above.

I've put around ~35 hours into it and I'd say it's very good for a solo experience. The only real difficulty I had was during the last boss (e.g. Annihilation) which forced me to learn all of its patterns. But other than that, smooth sailing.

Are there any specific perks or classes that suit the single player experience more ?

Last edited:

edit: Just saw Thick's response above.

Are there any specific perks or classes that suit the single player experience more ?
I would say that you should start with the class that gives you the pet companion (e.g. handler) as the dog draws aggro from enemies and even revives you once you start unlocking its perks.

Btw, if you start playing keep an eye out for these two weapons (you'll need to craft them once you have the exotic boss material for them): Enigma and Nightfall. The first one will help with clearing close quarter adds, while the second one will shred bosses.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Bloodstained did this too. No hit run is really the absolute bare minimum requirement in my opinion. Any hit you literally can't avoid, defend or counter in some way is cheap and bad design.
Yes, but don't tune the boss to no hit run, that's insane. Then again I still get nightmares about Sunwell...

winjer

Gold Member

Pick the handler. The dog will be your best friend in the game. It will aggro enemies and revive you.

When you get into town, find the locked chest. After that, continue to play until you get the lantern. Look into your inventory, check your lantern and find the code for the chest. Open it, and get the key. Then go into the pile of shipping containers and open a door. Inside you will find the MP60, one of best weapons of the game.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yes, but don't tune the boss to no hit run, that's insane. Then again I still get nightmares about Sunwell...
Fully agree. As I said, it's the bare minimum. It should always be possible for the dev who designed to get a no hit run or something is seriously wrong. That's your baseline. From there you have further testing and considerations to take into account for normal players.

John Bilbo

Be specific, which patch, what changed? There is a difference between logical balance tweaks and adding Easy Mode, overall Remnant 2 is a *much* more challenging game than Lies of P.
Well fair enough. Here's the link to the Steam page of the patch mentioned.

There are so many changes it is easier for you to read the patch notes for yourself.

Though one of the biggest change was in the final boss. It became a whole lot easier after that patch.

Last edited:
I played through a lot of it prior to ever playing co-op with my friends. It's absolutely doable solo imo. It definitely gets fucking hard but it's always fun. I did grind a bit here and there but mostly because the combat is just really fun and the levels are pure arcade-y run and gun.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I would say that you should start with the class that gives you the pet companion (e.g. handler) as the dog draws aggro from enemies and even revives you once you start unlocking its perks.

Btw, if you start playing keep an eye out for these two weapons (you'll need to craft them once you have the exotic boss material for them): Enigma and Nightfall. The first one will help with clearing close quarter adds, while the second one will shred bosses.

Pick the handler. The dog will be your best friend in the game. It will aggro enemies and revive you.

When you get into town, find the locked chest. After that, continue to play until you get the lantern. Look into your inventory, check your lantern and find the code for the chest. Open it, and get the key. Then go into the pile of shipping containers and open a door. Inside you will find the MP60, one of best weapons of the game.

Sold! (or Rented :p)

ha5KBuQ.jpg

ByWatterson

My friends are fresh into girlfriend territory so theyre not allowed to play games. Hows the game in solo? I played the first with said friends a few times and was pretty decent.

Bro 🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩

P.S. Married for 16 years, two kids. This kind of language straight-up shouldn't exist in the minds of men in healthy relationships.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Until they get married and you’ll be playing all solo. Just adapt to it from now.
Bro 🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩

P.S. Married for 16 years, two kids. This kind of language straight-up shouldn't exist in the minds of men in healthy relationships.

I meant, I'm ok with their choices. Dudes gotta get a life at some point. I get it that theyre scared not to lose their gf's especially when theyre 35 so I dont mind. Women in this country are not gamer friendly, very eastern european traditional. Actually Im pretty sure most common women, dont like their men in their honeymoon period of their relations to be wasting time all day on games.

Drizzlehell

Banned
It's on sale now. Is it worth picking up if the first game didn't particularly grab me? I mean, it was okay I guess but I got bored with it after several hours due to how repetitive everything looked (all I remember is a rusty brown color everywhere), and the combat could've been better. Did they improve any of the mechanics over the first game?

Mobilemofo

Ab
Bro 🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩

Absolutely. Gaming is your birth right goddamn it. Also married, but no kids. My wife knows the importance of gaming to me. She's golden.

Roberts

I haven't played it for too long. Probably around 10 hours so. Half of it was solo and half was co-op with a friend. To be honest, it wasn't that much different when it comes to difficulty. More fun with a friend, though.

Top Bottom