• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Battlefield 2025 will have a Battle Royale mode (returns to class system)

Draugoth

Gold Member
Edit: Title Error. Battlefield 2025 will have a sepparate F2P Battle Royale Mode, but it's set go back ot it's roots approach.

Insider Gaming has also learned that the next Battlefield title is taking somewhat of a “back to its roots approach” with the likes of 64-player matches, the return of its four-class system, and an overhaul to its destruction systems. As for the game’s setting itself, it will be set in the modern day somewhere around 2025 – 2030, with a strong story-driven emphasis on modern technology used in war.

Ripple Effect, the studio that is working on a ‘new experience’ for the Battlefield franchise is working on a new Battle Royale title that’s currently aimed to be free-to-play and follow a similar strategy to the highly successful Call of Duty: Warzone that will see the free-to-play experience tie-in with its premium release. The game is said to be the brainchild of Byron Beede, who had been previously leading live service for Call of Duty. Currently, the game has two different game modes including the classic Battle Royale experience and a mode named ‘Gauntlet’, which will see teams of players compete in objective-based modes with the lowest scoring team being kicked out after each mission.

Last edited:
Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

CamHostage

Currently, the game has two different game modes including the classic Battle Royale experience and a mode named ‘Gauntlet’, which will see teams of players compete in objective-based modes with the lowest scoring team being kicked out after each mission.​

Kind of like that concept, a little different in BR design; could combine the more addictive aspects of both BR and standard MP killcount ticket systems.

In general, I'm not in favor of turning Battlefield into a BR (never played the 2042 "Gunfight Royale" mode, some say it's great when I look it up but mostly it seemed to not catch nearly as much attention or build a tail of attention the way CoD Warfare did,) but as a mode in the new game, hopefully it both works and yet doesn't subsume the whole project.

Last edited:

TwinB242

No 128 players = huge bummer. 2042's map design left a lot to be desired but the player count was definitely not among its biggest issues and should be the standard player count going forward.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
They are still on the Battleroyale train. It worked out so well last time.

Outer Banks Distrust GIF by NETFLIX

Last edited:
I prefer battle royale than traditional battlefield. There should be consequences to dying instead of infinite respawns. Or make it like HD2 where you have limited respawns

Last edited:

StueyDuck

if anything, these battlefront remasters (if they do well) should put a spring in DICEs cock to remaster BF2/vietnam and 1942.

but mainly bf2, the game that still remains the best in the franchise all these years later.

If you're going to do destruction then do it properly. I want to see a return to destruction on the same level as BF3, BF4 and V. Not this weird crap that was introduced with 2042.
I prefer battle royale than traditional battlefield. There should be consequences to dying instead of infinite respawns. Or make it like HD2 where you have limited respawns
It doesn't have infinite respawns though, each team loses a ticket when a player respawns and that's a pretty fucking big consequence when both teams have less than 50 tickets each.

Kerotan

On paper they're ticking all the boxes but after the last shit show this will be the first battlefield I don't buy day 1.

clarky

Gold Member
Just 4 short years since they completely fucked the franchise (including COVID years no less)for a AAA shooter to take back its throne?

Its takes COD 3 years to practically release the same game over and over again and they still struggle.

What could possibly go wrong?

Hopefully preorders open soon.

Last edited:

Audiophile

Gold Member
Played 2042 for half hour and the controls felt so far removed from the prior games that I just couldn't get on with it; and the sharpening made my head hurt.

They just need to work off BF4, BF3 & Bad Company 2. Keep it simple and straightforward and make a really solid, enjoyable multiplayer shooter. They don't need to reinvent the wheel, they can establish the basics and then work off of there.

salva

Return to the class system is good, but leave out those bs heros + colorful cosmetics.

It's actually laughable watching a game of 2042 with the same player models running around and ridiculous bright gun skins.

Go back to a realistic look like in BF2 and BF3. Also bring in proper squads + commander with different VoIP channels

Last edited:

Sybrix

Heard it all before.

Same old shite.

Said this pre-2042 and i'll say it again...... if the level of destruction isnt on par with BC2 then don't even bother releasing it.

Von Hugh

With all the key people leaving the studio, I'm not sure they can make a good Battlefield even if they tried with a good premise.

Back to its roots? Where have I heard that before...?

Oh yeah, literally one game ago, Battlefield 2042. Which proved to be a near franchise-killing disaster.

Yeah, I have no hope for any of this.

Last edited:

TheStam

Generally it sounds good except for the Battle Royal part.

The way I've been burnt pre-ordering some ultimate editions from these guys, I really need to resist this time. I even played the beta and still pre-ordered 2042 hah, what a sucker. BFV had an awful ultimate edition as well, was a couple of skins basically and these games always have issues at first. Never again!

They really need to deliver a great game this time or they might be getting shut down. I hope they focus the awful monetization stuff with battle passes and skins to the f2p battle royal and create a great traditional four class battlefield in the paid game. But I fear they are not capable of it these days.

Can't believe we'll have to wait another year to see what this will look like. I wouldn't doubt that it'll be shit. I hope they surprise me.

In the meantime I'll be on Battlefield V in a hardcore lobby with the BF 1944 mod that turns the game into a proper, authentic WW2 game.

Top Bottom