• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Windows 12 May Require a Subscription

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I suspect that this may be overblown a bit and as customary, everyone gets their panties in a bunch over a rumour. There are going to be a host of issues for Microsoft to only charge subscriptions for an operating service. Also think that would go under a particular closer lens of scrutiny than anything else they’ve done.

They could offer a subscription option in addition to paid though.

simpatico

I suspect that this may be overblown a bit and as customary, everyone gets their panties in a bunch over a rumour. There are going to be a host of issues for Microsoft to only charge subscriptions for an operating service. Also think that would go under a particular closer lens of scrutiny than anything else they’ve done.

They could offer a subscription option in addition to paid though.
Who's lens? You really think regulators are still paying attention?

Ozriel

M$FT
There was an update to the story posted on October 6th - two days before this thread was created - clarifying that this was a misunderstanding. Here's the update text from the link in the OP.

October 6 Update: A newly published report has clarified that the discovered code bits are likely not related to Windows "12." Also, the next-gen Windows version is unlikely to require a subscription.

Why do people create threads to spread misinformation?

I suspect that this may be overblown a bit and as customary, everyone gets their panties in a bunch over a rumour. T

A rumor Neowin dispelled well before this thread was created.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

There was an update to the story posted on October 6th - two days before this thread was created - clarifying that this was a misunderstanding. Here's the update text from the link in the OP.

Why do people create threads to spread misinformation?

A rumor Neowin dispelled well before this thread was created.
That was already posted and debunked in this thread. The title doesn’t match the content which states:

next version of Windows will have some new capabilities that require a subscription to utilize

There’s also nothing from Microsoft in the article, it was all just someone’s opinion.

Of course the OP could still be wrong as it might have just been another thought experiment.

Noah Cyrus Jokes On You GIF by BuzzFeed

Microsoft. Windows 11 already says it can't be installed on my pc.

Top Bottom