• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republicans in Congress accidentally release names of Planned Parenthood Employees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anarky

Banned
http://www.motherjones.com/politics...names-fetal-tissue-researchers-and-planned-pa

Last week, committee chair Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.) sent two letters to the Obama administration, asking it to investigate new charges of federal health privacy law violations by two Planned Parenthood affiliates and the biomedical company StemExpress (fetal tissue research represents less than 1 percent of the company's business), based on evidence provided by "confidential informants." The identities of several researchers and clinic staffers were unredacted in the documents that were made public in attachments forwarded to the Obama administration along with Blackburn's letters, and that were also posted on the select panel's website.

The unredacted names included university and hospital researchers and employees of both StemExpress and Planned Parenthood, raising major concern among Democratic members of the House. "The latest leak from Chair Blackburn's runaway investigation is further evidence that this panel should be brought to an end," a spokesperson for the panel's Democratic lawmakers told the reproductive health news site Rewire.

Democrats have repeatedly raised the issue of researcher and clinic staff safety, particularly after the November 2015 shooting at a Colorado Planned Parenthood, where a gunman killed three people and injured nine others.

Holy shit, this will literally actually get people killed.

Krakn3Dfx

200_s.gif

"Accidentally"

Hopefully this doesn't result in anything malicious towards those people whose names were released.

Kenai

Wish there were some serious legal repercussions for this, even if I know better than to expect any.

ShyMel

Accidentally my butt! Planned Parenthood employees already have a tough job. This just makes it even worse.

jmood88

So the only thing stopping the nuts out there was that they didn't have names?
I have a friend who works in Planned Parenthood administration and her office ks in an incognito house that she isn't allowed to give the address of to anyone who isn't an employee because of the crazy people who will attack anything related to Planned Parenthood.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
It certainly makes it easier for them to target specific people.

I guess. However I can not imagine one employee is better than another if I were a nutjob going for maximum damage.

Names can give you a lot of information if you have malicious intent.

So can the address of a PP if that's what you want to do.

First thought upon reading the title.

I honestly can not believe that we've reached a place in time where we're now arguing that members of Congress, despite the sensitive nature of this issue, would wink-wink forget to redact a document. I mean if you REALLY believe that, why even stay?

At times like this, as we reflect on what an absurd circus our presidential primaries have been, it's important not to lose sight of the fact that our Congress is also a complete goddamn mess.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
So what ha...ha..ha..happen was...

Seriously this shits gets OMG! Totes mistake, what could possibly go wrong on the Republican side
They should be liable or fucking accomplices if any person named gets hurt.

Nothing will happen

This is the buffoonery of the Republicans who scream small government, because big government makes too many mistakes... Pot meet Kettle

Krejlooc

Banned
I guess. However I can not imagine one employee is better than another if I were a nutjob going for maximum damage.

I honestly can not believe that we've reached a place in time where we're now arguing that members of Congress, despite the sensitive nature of this issue, would wink-wink forget to redact a document. I mean if you REALLY believe that, why even stay?

I honestly can't believe there are people here down playing this.

Oh wait, yes I can.

Yeah, and reagan would never sell weapons to iran, and nixon would never break into another party's headquarters. That's all just nonsense.

Korigama

Because even if it was intentional, I have no reason to believe that the actions of such individuals reflect upon our government's elected officials at large. Doesn't change the fact that unscrupulous people can and sometimes do slip through the cracks, then abuse their power once they attain it.

Futurematic

Because even if it was intentional, I have no reason to believe that the actions of such individuals reflect upon our government's elected officials at large. Doesn't change the fact that unscrupulous people can and sometimes do slip through the cracks, then abuse their power once they attain it.

The vast majority of the Republican Party slipped through the cracks?

I didn't get why this was a big deal until I realized that in America people actually demonstrating outside abortions clinics

just out of curiosity how can a PP employee protect themselves after this?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Yeah, and reagan would never sell weapons to iran, and nixon would never break into another party's headquarters. That's all just nonsense.

People are arguing, in this thread, that the release of these names was intentional. Your "history lesson" about past political behavior doesn't really have much relevance to an indirect accusation of members of Congress putting a "hit" out on American citizens.

I'm, not really sure what your point is honestly.

People are arguing, in this thread, that the release of these names was intentional. Your "history lesson" about past political behavior doesn't really have much relevance to an indirect accusation of members of Congress putting a "hit" out on American citizens.

It absolutely has relevance to the general behavior of the modern republican party. Because the whole argument is about whether or not they are scummy enough to do this. And if this was intentional, it's not to put out a "hit", it's to instill and maintain a fear for people to work in any field related to woman being capable of exercising their reproductive rights.

Korigama

The vast majority of the Republican Party slipped through the cracks?
Can't really think of many excuses for the worst of them, of course. Still, I am willing to believe that most of them would still be above doing something like this.

Pretty much the same sort of thing that you've already refuted in this same post, through your belief that there's no possible way that anyone would do this on purpose. You specifically are interpreting it as "putting out a hit" on people, as opposed to putting them at risk for general harassment. I never jumped to the conclusion that you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom