• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republicans vote to move ahead on Obamacare repeal

My Obamacare isn't saving me money at this point, as its roughly the same price as other options out there. When Obamacare began, in that first year, it was great for me. Now its horribly overpriced. I'm willing to take my chances with whatever plan the Republicans come up with because if its worse than Obamacare well, its not much of a loss.

Premiums were on pace to go even higher without a law in place. And with the GOP proposals, the kicking people off insurance isn't the only thing. It's also the fact premiums will go up even faster.

So yeah, the vast majority people recognize that the ACA has flaws and does need big changes, but the GOP alternative is basically blow it all up.

RPGCrazied

We only needed one more Republican. I hate how Pence comes along and votes to pass a disaster. He has done this several times already.

My Obamacare isn't saving me money at this point, as its roughly the same price as other options out there. When Obamacare began, in that first year, it was great for me. Now its horribly overpriced. I'm willing to take my chances with whatever plan the Republicans come up with because if its worse than Obamacare well, its not much of a loss.

I mean 20+million people lose insurance entirely but sure

daveo42

Banned
If this does pass, expect to hear "Don't worry, we'll have even better coverage within the next two years" two years from now if the GOP continues to hold both chambers of congress.

I'll be a broken record on this, but if you truly care about tens of millions potentially losing their health care, Medicare cuts, and all it it, contact your government representatives. Yes, even if they will likely vote yes. Do it anyway. It's on you.

Here's a thread to help.

kess

Premiums were on pace to go even higher without a law in place. And with the GOP proposals, the kicking people off insurance isn't the only thing. It's also the fact premiums will go up even faster.

So yeah, the vast majority people recognize that the ACA has flaws and does need big changes, but the GOP alternative is basically blow it all up.

Quoted for reference.

If it was great for you when it began, perhaps it would have been better for you if the GOP hadn't blocked any and all legislation on the matter besides repeal after 2010.

Hmm you can keep the same price and have millions on insurance, or potentially get an even worse price and have millions off insurance. The latter isn't "much of a loss" lol, your icon makes sense.

TyrantII

Gonna call bullshit on that. What's your area code? I doubt comparable private insurance is anywhere close to what you're paying in into the ACA.

Anyway it doesn't matter. The GOP is going to fuck with private and employer based insurance as well; just to give 6 billionaires and 20 million dollar check.

Everyone is going to get fucked.

daveo42

Banned
Are there any Trump defenders left on this site?

People who hate Obamacare because "Obama" is in the name.
The "Fuck You Got Mine" crowd
General Racists
People who put anti-abortion above all other issues

Good news everyone. Your health insurance premium is going to sky rocket.

Better news! You don't have to pay for insurance any more! The only downside? You don't have insurance!

How many lone wolf widows do you think there are going to be among 15-30 million newly uninsured Americans?

This is a serious question, I don't think Republicans have considered at the moment, but they should.

Desperate people with absolutely nothing to lose can be very dangerous.

Republicans shouldn't have to worry since they've fought for strict gun control, and an expansion of mental health services.

Shauni

At the moment maybe. But imagine if I come back in time from 2018 and told you Republicans wasted 12-16 months chasing the healthcare dragon only to come up with nothing and squandered their chance to pass anything else they promised?

Well, this is only granting they don't actually get anything done, but this seems to have at least started some kind of momentum that would have been killed off if the motion just didn't pass to begin with. Maybe it will lead to nothing, but another death knell here and now would have been better.

All that could have been achieved by voting no or not showing up.

Yeah, it's pretty silly at the end of the day that people keep believing in this maverick shit. How much else do you need to be shown? Dude is literally dying from brain cancer, but comes back to vote across party lines lol. He's ultimately vote yes to whatever garbage is put in front of him.

Are there any Trump defenders left on this site?

Yeah, but they never come to threads like these.

"On one hand, millions of our constituents depend on the ACA and don't want it to be repealed. We don't have a viable alternative and even the insurance industry is against our bill. On the other hand, it was created by a black guy. It's a very difficult decision."

This doubles as Republican health care policy.
9yUv7Ni.gif

My theory on McCain. He wasn brainwashed as a POW and hates America. Once released, he sided with Republicans, who want to kill America a little more each day.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
There is something horribly perverse about a sick elderly man who has nothing to fear with regards to his own health insurance, helping deny it for millions of poor people as one of his last acts on Earth, and other rich old men giving him a standing ovation for doing something so heinous and evil as if it were triumphant goodness.

What a grotesque nightmare.

geestack

'plan' lmfao

Shauni

I'll be a broken record on this, but if you truly care about tens of millions potentially losing their health care, Medicare cuts, and all it it, contact your government representatives. Yes, even if they will likely vote yes. Do it anyway. It's on you.

Here's a thread to help.

Uh, excuse me? I'm not voting for these people, and I'm not voting for any of the people in Congress voting for this stuff. It sure as shit isn't on me.

Foffy

Banned

The foolishness in this post is just amazing.

In fact, I hope if this passes, you're one of the first financial casualties.

"I'm willing to take my chances" are your words. Take your chances with a party worse than ISIS? Really?

lush

This is the absolute worst kind of "I got mine".

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
This is the absolute worst kind of "I got mine".
Well I mean...
image.php

Shit like this is why I'm glad I don't live in the States anymore.

Hey everyone I live in France! I am reimbursed to see any doctor of my choice (which only costs me 25€)! I pay nothing for prescription medication! I paid nothing for the birth of my child! Hell, a non-life threatening operation removing vericose veins cost me only 120€.

This isn't fucking rocket science. A public option works for fuck's sake. You don't have to go all in on single payer: hell you can have a public AND private option operating at the same time.

How many lone wolf widows do you think there are going to be among 15-30 million newly uninsured Americans?

This is a serious question, I don't think Republicans have considered at the moment, but they should.

Desperate people with absolutely nothing to lose can be very dangerous.

Republicans have been shelling out for private security with campaign money given to them by their owners. There was an article about it in the Washington Post today.

jmdajr

That's the spirit!

100,000 medical bill now being 200,000!

It's all the same!

You'd think you guys would be happy. The longer this process drags on with no end in sight, the less time they have to pass other stuff that Democrats don't want.

Hrm, yes, instead of definitely knowing whether I'm getting kicked in the nuts I am held in place waiting for the party to decide how sharp the boot is going to be

LiK

Premiums will go up. Already guaranteed

Chumly

First of all I understand your not happy with your premiums but instead of saying "I'm willing to try whatever" why don't you point to specifically what you think will help that they are proposing but right now I don't see anything they are doing that is going to help you.

Acting like it can't be much worse is just flat out wrong. It can be a hell of a lot worse

NJSlay

Banned
When peoples' kids start dying the people who voted for this will likely regret it when they're bleeding out in the streets.

You can't fuck this many people over, toy with this many lives, and expect there to be no consequences. Shit is about to get ugly.

Shit like this is why I'm glad I don't live in the States anymore.

Hey everyone I live in France! I am reimbursed to see any doctor of my choice (which only costs me 25€)! I pay nothing for prescription medication! I paid nothing for the birth of my child! Hell, a non-life threatening operation removing vericose veins cost me only 120€.

This isn't fucking rocket science. A public option works for fuck's sake. You don't have to go all in on single payer: hell you can have a public AND private option operating at the same time.

I agree. In 2010, we were one vote short of a public option. It was an independent turned Democrat that refused to support it, killing the idea. Joe Lieberman. Real piece of shit.

But healthcare in the US also has systemic issues. All costs at all levels are out of control and there is little to nothing stopping it. A public option would be a good first step, but so much more would have to be done to get the administration and cost side up to competent and affordable levels.

Top Bottom