• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Researchers detect possible signal from Dark Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheroking

or maybe our theories and equations are completely wrong and there really is no mysterious energy or matter that we can't measure.

General relativity is successful in virtually every application. There is no dissent on the existence of dark energy or dark matter.

Our equations may be incomplete, but they are not incorrect.

Seth C

General relativity is successful in virtually every application. There is no dissent on the existence of dark energy or dark matter.

Our equations may be incomplete, but they are not incorrect.

That's what science said about the heliocentric model. Just keep adding circles, they said. Our equations aren't wrong, just incomplete. I mean look, they accurately predict the progression of the other planets through the sky so they might be right.

Personally? I'm going to stick with good old occum's razor on this one. "Our theories must be right so if they don't work lets insert some extra matter we can't detect and don't know exists so that they work right" just doesn't sit well with me. I find it far more likely we've come up with a working model that mostly makes accurate predictions, that we can accurately describe what happens, but that our theories for what causes what we see are fundamentally flawed. It wouldn't be the first time that's happened. It won't be the last.

Sheroking

That's what science said about the heliocentric model. Just keep adding circles, they said. Our equations aren't wrong, just incomplete. I mean look, they accurately predict the progression of the other planets through the sky so they might be right.

Big eye roll at that analogy.

General relativity has successfully answered any question put to it. It would be quite awkward if it was just completely wrong about something as rundementary as measuring the known gravity in the universe.

Again I say, there is no dissent about the existence of dark matter and dark energy. An entire community comprised of smarter people than you, with more knowledge on this subject than you, are at a consensus.

The Lamp

Dark matter is the unknown gravity in our universe. We can quantify all the gravity from all the planets, stars, etc and get a number, and the real number is WAY higher. That's how we know Dark Matter exists, without knowing what it is.

Dark energy was only proven in your lifetime. With all this gravity, the universe's expansion should be slowing down after the Big Bang. So when two teams of astronomers set up to measure the speed decay (by isolating a supernova and measuring the speed at which it's moving), they discovered that the universe is actually speeding up. Which means there's a force greater still than all the gravity in the universe (including Dark matter) working opposite the gravity. The calculable gravity of dark matter, and the calculable force of dark energy is how we get the 4% known, 26% dark matter, 70% dark energy make-up of the universe.

The only thing dark about either dark energy or dark matter is our inability to see or detect exactly what they are (to this point). We don't know that dark energy is energy at all, or that dark matter is matter at all. The names are 100% placeholder.

It's so bizarre. It's easy for me to grasp physics at microscopic levels, but when people on this tiny planet start making such certain assumptions about something as large as our universe it's really hard for me to grasp or accept that. Like the idea of "counting all the planets/starts/etc." in the universe and getting a rough number. It boggles my mind that a species only a few feet tall can make such certain assumptions about a universe that is so very large. I have trouble believing it, but I'm also no astrophysicist, so of course I don't know enough to grasp it with full faith.

Mayyhem

Maybe the Dark Energy is the gravity generated by other universes around our own?

Its funny cause such an assumption can't really be ruled out, since we don't really know shit about dark matter and dark energy.

Anyhow, fascinating stuff. Hoping to hear something come of this.

Yrael

Dark energy acts as a form of "negative pressure" or repulsion. The most plausible idea at the moment is that dark energy is a consequence of the vacuum of space itself having an intrinsic energy called the cosmological constant.

Personally? I'm going to stick with good old occum's razor on this one. "Our theories must be right so if they don't work lets insert some extra matter we can't detect and don't know exists so that they work right" just doesn't sit well with me. I find it far more likely we've come up with a working model that mostly makes accurate predictions, that we can accurately describe what happens, but that our theories for what causes what we see are fundamentally flawed. It wouldn't be the first time that's happened. It won't be the last.

Dark matter evidence:

- Galactic rotation curves (the velocities of stars on the edge of galaxies are consistent with a spherical "halo" of near-uniformly distributed dark matter. Similarly, applying the virial theorem to galaxy clusters reveals that the amount of unseen matter vastly outweighs optical matter and hot, X-ray emitting gas)

- Fluctuations in the cosmic microwave background radiation (including baryon acoustic oscillations). Most consistent with what we observe is the Lambda Cold Dark Matter model (ΛCDM), in which baryonic matter comprises roughly 5% of the universe, dark matter 26%, and dark energy 69%. Slow-moving, or "cold" dark matter is consistent with galaxy-building scenarios, since relativistically moving dark matter results in the "smoothing out" of small scale structures that would later become larger-scale variations in density as the universe expands.

- Gravitational lensing (including the image of the bullet cluster I posted earlier) - light 'bends' around massive pockets of matter, allowing us to detect the presence of invisible matter.

MACHOs (Massive Astronomical Compact Halo Objects) such as black holes, dwarf stars, planets, etc. are pretty much ruled out. MOND (Modified Newtonian Dynamics) isn't entirely ruled out, but seems rather unfavourable since it cannot entirely account for these missing matter observations.

It is very, very, very likely that the standard model is incomplete, since it does not account for these cosmological discrepancies (in addition to other problems that I listed earlier, such as the very big problem that gravity is not yet unified with the strong force, the weak force and the electromagnetic force - we have yet to find that coveted "Grand Unified Theory"). This is how science works - we are always seeking to find new physics beyond what it is currently known. Dark matter is not a "fudge factor" to try and make theories work, but a very real observed discrepancy between "observed mass" and "actual mass" that needs an explanation, which we currently do not definitively have.

If dark matter was any known particle, we should be able to detect and identify it pretty easily. We can't.

They could be new particles that we don't have the technology to detect or some think it might be the "leaking" effect of another universe, many times bigger than our own, but it's 100% speculative until we can put something under a metaphorical microscope.

Things like this really excite me. I can't help but think of the possibility of instead of small particles jumping in and out of our universe (hawking radiation) a hole to another universe appears and life as we know it is completely different. I know I watch too much anime and play too many games, but it's exciting to think about lol.

televator

Maybe the Dark Energy is the gravity generated by other universes around our own?

Heh, I once armchair theorized that maybe it was matter existing in a different dimension, since I read different dimensions are what might make gravity as weak a force as it appears in our dimensions... To my surprise I later read a not too old article precisely on that idea. It's probably a laughable theory in real science though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom