• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake | Gameplay Trailer, Information, Editions & Gameplay Reveal

DavJay

A reimagining and remake needs to be differentiated. This is a reimagining like 2 and 3. A remake is like the one from the GameCube with the same game play or the new dead space.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
DF39602-B-5-A5-E-4-A26-B85-E-3-B514-A0-CA5-CF.jpg

A reimagining and remake needs to be differentiated. This is a reimagining like 2 and 3. A remake is like the one from the GameCube with the same game play or the new dead space.
I get what you're saying, but this is exactly how every single RE Remake has been done. Taking the bones of the original game and rebuilding it for the modern space. Even the OG Remake was a vastly different game from the original, it maintained the fixed angles and changed just about everything else.

Hell, RE canon has been as firm as water. Umbrella Chronicles/Darkside Chronicles are great examples of this. Once Capcom takes a second look at their prior games, they don't feel anything HAS to stay in the game.

I think in general, "remake" is a very fluid term. Movies are the same way - a remake does not necessarily remain faithful to the original.

These remakes are distracting. I mean, I would rather see new storylines instead of remakes coming out, since remakes just basically revive an old story in a separate piece of canon. But I cannot say I fully support the general direction that Capcom has taken the franchise in since around 2017.

I liked RE7. It was different, yet enjoyable once it warmed up. But it didn't feel like a RE game. That's the thing. It forced RE things in it. Chris, for example. Without Chris being a side character in the storyline, it felt more like P.T. or Outlast.

Then RE8 came along, and it's just a corny game. It also doesn't remind me of old RE classics whatsoever. Despite the fact that, yes. They add in things to link it together.

Again, it shares the same universe and stuff. But it feels like a fantasy game with a girl now having powers, and that's hilariously withdrawn from classic RE as well. Kind of. I mean, the point of RE is bioweapons and powers, but meh. It still feels kind of off to me.

kiphalfton

??? Killing an enemy with one head shot would have completely broken the game.

It was a survival horror game with resource management 1 shot head kills would have completely killed the core challenge and gameplay loop.

How would the game break? Especially when the attache case effectively restricts how much ammo/weapons/healing items you can carry anyways.

If anything breaks the game, it's not being able to use the weapons in your attache case because the devs decided it takes multiple headshots to kill a basic enemy, there's barely enough ammo laying around to put down a dozen of said enemies, you end up running out of ammo in no time short, and after that you have to run away. Yeah, real fun.

At that point why even include guns if they're essentially useless, and you have to use them as a last resort.

Last edited:
??? Killing an enemy with one head shot would have completely broken the game.

It was a survival horror game with resource management 1 shot head kills would have completely killed the core challenge and gameplay loop.
But giving less ammo with fewer shots to kill would have been preferable to 8 shots to kill one zombie and ammo being everywhere. I killed every single thing in that game and finished the game with just an insane amount of extra, unused ammo. Resource management my ass.

kiphalfton

These remakes are distracting. I mean, I would rather see new storylines instead of remakes coming out, since remakes just basically revive an old story in a separate piece of canon. But I cannot say I fully support the general direction that Capcom has taken the franchise in since around 2017.

I liked RE7. It was different, yet enjoyable once it warmed up. But it didn't feel like a RE game. That's the thing. It forced RE things in it. Chris, for example. Without Chris being a side character in the storyline, it felt more like P.T. or Outlast.

Then RE8 came along, and it's just a corny game. It also doesn't remind me of old RE classics whatsoever. Despite the fact that, yes. They add in things to link it together.

Again, it shares the same universe and stuff. But it feels like a fantasy game with a girl now having powers, and that's hilariously withdrawn from classic RE as well. Kind of. I mean, the point of RE is bioweapons and powers, but meh. It still feels kind of off to me.

Totally agree. RE7 felt like a complete reboot of the series. It wasn't until the very end that I changed my mind, and wondered if instead it was more of a soft reboot, specifically because of the "Chris" cameo.

That bring said I was still legitimately confused what this game was to the rest of the games, as there's this iconic character from the previous games, but it didn't look like him, didn't sound like him, and didn't act like him.

I haven't played RE8, but RE7 just felt so tonally off the entire time. And although it's a good game, I don't really know what to make of it. I think it was too big of a shift, and that's saying something coming off the heels of RE6.

Last edited:
But giving less ammo with fewer shots to kill would have been preferable to 8 shots to kill one zombie and ammo being everywhere. I killed every single thing in that game and finished the game with just an insane amount of extra, unused ammo. Resource management my ass.
Unless your a wizard with the knife you absolutely cannot kill everything on hardcore mode.

Your way could work but it would have a massive chain reaction in how the rest of the game is balanced.

If you have a pistol that can 1 shot everything what value would the shotgun, magnum, grenade laucher have? How much would the ammo for these have to be cut back as well. Why ever bother stunning or crippling zombies if you can kill them easily?

Ammo would have to be cut back so far there would be even less combat

How would the game break? Especially when the attache case effectively restricts how much ammo/weapons/healing items you can carry anyways
Because then about 30 handgun bullets would wipe out the entire police station. All the interesting choices you make in re2 are because of the ammo restriction.

1. Should I kill this zombie or that zombie?
  2. Should I kill it or run past it.
  3. Should I kill it or stun it and run past
  4. Should I kill it or blow its leg off
  5. Which windows should I board up
  6. Which route should I take.
  7. Which weapon should I use
  8. Which areas are going to be more tricky when Mr X and the lickers show up
All of the above would be rendered meaningless if I could 1 shot zombies.

Also what about weapon balance? What use are the other weapons if I can easily kill everything with the pistol? Will I even have any zombies left to kill by the time I find the shotgun?
If anything breaks the game, it's not being able to use the weapons in your attache case because the devs decided it takes multiple headshots to kill a basic enemy, there's barely enough ammo laying around to put down a dozen of said enemies, you end up running out of ammo in no time short, and after that you have to run away. Yeah, real fun.
Did you never play the classics? The remakes give you way more space than those games ever did incidentally zombies took a ton ammo in those games as well. Either way the case is interesting as it force's you to think about what you need before you head out and by the end of the game you can carry plenty of guns and ammo anyway. In your version of the game the case would be useless though as everything could be wiped out easily you would never have to worry about carrying multiple weapons.
At that point why even include guns if they're essentially useless, and you have to use them as a last resort.
On the contrary the guns are the most important part of resident evil. The scarity in ammo makes there power differences all the more meaningful and when to use them all the more important.

There's about a thousand games that can give you 1 shot head kills and allow you to kill everything. Resident evil uniqueness (the older ones at least) is that it force's you to pick your battles wisely and think ahead.

SuperGooey

I'll copy my takes from the other thread. Overall, super positive feel towards it.

Fucking amazing. Leon is still a combat rolling/roundhouse kicking chad, and now he parries chainsaws with his knife. I'm loving the addition of stealth but wonder how indepth it is. Can I re-enter stealth if I break line of sight? Probably not.

Merchant is perfect. They got his accent down pat. I'm also a fan of the expanded merchant system with more upgrades and trading in treasures/items for other stuff.

Dr. Salvador is perfection. Poor man has lost a bit of muscle mass, but that's fine. I felt kind of robbed that they ended on the parry instead of the decapitation it all felt like it was building towards. Should have gone balls out.

My boy Salazar is back and intact! Large and in charge! Conniving and thriving! He's perfect!

Also, "Bill me for the repairs later." Fucking LMAO he still has his one liners! And now he casually drops them during gameplay depending on what you do. Amazing. Nick did good with his new version of Leons voice. Good evolution from RE2make. Fun fact: He took lessons from Paul Mercier to accurately translate OG Leons voice and swagger.

NuLuis looks like a creep and doesn't have his Dante style swave. Also not a fan of NuAdas voice or look (which is fine, since I've never been a fan of Ada; that said, OG RE4 Ada was the only interpretation that I somewhat liked). Ashley is an upgrade but that's not hard.

This looks like it'll be a lot more faithful than I expected. Not as much of the horror tone as I was hoping for, but it's alright. I was good with either choice.

Hopefully they haven't cut the island. I didn't see Krauser, the knife fight, the laser hallway, or any other hit towards it.

After looking at it more though, and I'd hate to say it, but I'm not a fan of Leon's new Agent outfit. It's baggy instead of the skin tight stealth suit look it had before. Not a fan of the v-neck part edition either. I like the new baggier version of the jacket with the larger fur around the neck though.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, here's concept art of Wesker. They brought back DC Douglas (RE5) and he leaked this claiming it's from the RE4 remake.

FFPFuS_WYAUqegx
That concept art was debunked as being from RE4 Remake. It's from a now cancelled game.

With that said, I'm sure Wesker will be in the game, whether through the main game, Mercenaries or Separate Ways. With Krauser confirmed, Wesker has to be involved behind-the-scenes.

Generic

RE4 great game, played it few times, but always wished it was way darker, proper horror stuff.
Seems like this remake is gonna deliver big time, what a great time to be a RE fan these recent years!
Bill And Ted 80S GIF by IFC
I hope they don't ruin RE4's pacing by adding too much "scary" segments and stalker enemies. RE4 must be arcadish.

Edit: not a fan of crafting either. RE4 isn't Minecraft, most resources come from killing enemies.

Last edited:

Mexen

I’m making my way through OG and just having a lot of fun with it. Takes me back to my childhood when I played this game a lot.
I’m excited about the remake. It looks incredible!

Unless your a wizard with the knife you absolutely cannot kill everything on hardcore mode.

Your way could work but it would have a massive chain reaction in how the rest of the game is balanced.

If you have a pistol that can 1 shot everything what value would the shotgun, magnum, grenade laucher have? How much would the ammo for these have to be cut back as well. Why ever bother stunning or crippling zombies if you can kill them easily?

Ammo would have to be cut back so far there would be even less combat
I wasn't talking about hardcore mode. I never played hardcore, just normal. And I don't want one shot kills. I just don't see the point of making every zombie a sponge and also put so much ammo throughout the game. Less ammo around, less shots to kill, make me actually feel like I'll run out of ammo. On normal, you're just stocked with bullets so it's just fucking annoying. Resource management in RE for normal people is a myth. I think the only time it wasn't was the sneaky plane Tyrant in CV. Before that game, you could unload into everything and be fine on ammo. And even then, it was just that plane boss.

Ada looks great, though.
I don't understand what the big fuss is all about.

[/URL][/URL]

Resident-Evil-4_2022_10-20-22_001.jpg
The big fuss is that she's Asian. Whyd they make her Asian? Disgusting.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
I hope they stick with the characters’ faces from here on out. Ada’s face in particular changed way too often between the different games. Her current look is how she should’ve always looked; she didn’t look Asian enough in RE4 and 6 imo, unless she was only supposed to be half-Asian or something.

This YouTuber is really a black dude, constantly saying a certain inappropriate 'N' word in just about every video he posts. :D

As you can tell though, he ain't down with the remake of RE4 too much. He has a point about the knife stuff, however. It is pretty darn ludicrous that a measly combat knife doesn't get cut up by a chainsaw, because, well. Is that at all realistic?

He then uploaded this video yesterday. :p

A.Romero

Just play the original if you don't like the changes. I think it's available in every platform in one way or another.

Remakes are really made to cater to new fans.

Moses85

Just play the original if you don't like the changes. I think it's available in every platform in one way or another.

Remakes are really made to cater to new fans.
It only needs to be ported to a calculator.

This game is the biggest whore in videogame history. From a GCN exclusive to a game which is available for nearly everything 😂

Nickolaidas

Yeah, they say that she now looks like Hilary Clinton.

I mean, I ... I don't even.

This is why I consider myself ALWAYS a fan, NEVER a fanboy.

CuNi

As opposed to what? This?

ashleythumb.jpg

She looks better lol. Old Ashley looks like a potato with monkey ears. Now she looks hot.

I wholeheartedly have to disagree.

She ain't looking horrible in the Remake, but I had hoped for something closer to the original.
Hope someone creates a better model and mods it into RE4R.

Totally agree. RE7 felt like a complete reboot of the series. It wasn't until the very end that I changed my mind, and wondered if instead it was more of a soft reboot, specifically because of the "Chris" cameo.

That bring said I was still legitimately confused what this game was to the rest of the games, as there's this iconic character from the previous games, but it didn't look like him, didn't sound like him, and didn't act like him.

I haven't played RE8, but RE7 just felt so tonally off the entire time. And although it's a good game, I don't really know what to make of it. I think it was too big of a shift, and that's saying something coming off the heels of RE6.
8 is more Resident Evil than 7 without question.

Top Bottom