• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake vs Original | Graphics Comparison

JakeWolf

I know what you mean. Seems like just a few years ago, I was happily playing it in my teenage bedroom on a 13" CRT.

Now we're here complaining about how unimpressive the remake looks running at 2k+ resolution at solid frame rates 😄

I don't get how people think ''It's just a few years ago'' like to me it was like a lifetime ago, I am not even sure if that was MY memory.

DragonNCM

VaaNoX1.png

Salazar needs to cool it with the indoors fog machine.
It is a new trend.....VAPERS now leave in that place :)

angrod14

We'll see if all the extra content the game originally had (Mercenaries, Separate Ways, Ada's Assignment) will be included or will be milked to us separately via DLC.

I don't get how people think ''It's just a few years ago'' like to me it was like a lifetime ago, I am not even sure if that was MY memory.
Haha

It's just that perception of time scales with age, in my experience. Five years passing at 20 years old feels about like 10 years passing does at 40. That's at a linear scale. Probably more like an exponential curve in reality

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The brand new, in-depth high-quality comparison between Resident Evil 4 Remake (2023) and the original Resident Evil 4 (2005) based on the pre-release preview gameplay footage released for the press, at the best quality available, true 4k 60 FPS. All footage from the original game was captured by me on PC with HD Project Mod installed at 4K 60FPS

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

wow. The new one is so in your face with action. The animations stand out
Keep note that the original is with HD textures mod. Even the raw 2014 version has some textures updated if you don't turn it off.
I would love to see gamecube compared to ps5.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Haha

It's just that perception of time scales with age, in my experience. Five years passing at 20 years old feels about like 10 years passing does at 40. That's at a linear scale. Probably more like an exponential curve in reality
I disagree
The reason it feels like that is because little has changed outside outrage culture which is the only thing you can define the last decade with.
Each Decade feels like a different world to people from another.
if someone travelled back into time from the 90's to the 80's it would be obvious to them instantly.
Same with the 2000's to the early 90's.
But if you were to travel back from 2020's to 2009?
You'd have to wait for someone to pull out their phone to realise what year it was because of what model they have.
Same with if you travelled back to the early 2000's
The only big give away would be the phones and girls being dressed better and not have Butt & lip injections.
Now if someone travelled from the 2000's to 2020?
They just be wondering what's with all the freaks and weirdos and start offending them.

I disagree
The reason it feels like that is because little has changed outside outrage culture which is the only thing you can define the last decade with.
Each Decade feels like a different world to people from another.
if someone travelled back into time from the 90's to the 80's it would be obvious to them instantly.
Same with the 2000's to the early 90's.
But if you were to travel back from 2020's to 2009?
You'd have to wait for someone to pull out their phone to realise what year it was because of what model they have.
Same with if you travelled back to the early 2000's
The only big give away would be the phones and girls being dressed better and not have Butt & lip injections.
Now if someone travelled from the 2000's to 2020?
They just be wondering what's with all the freaks and weirdos and start offending them.
I could've clarified that I was speaking of my individual (subjective) perception of time, and not trying to say everyone experiences it the same way, but I'm interested. How would going from the 90s to the 80s be noticeable, but 2020s to 2000s wouldn't be? Because to me, all of those Quantum Leaps would be close to immediately noticeable in terms of fashion, tech, communication, slang, methods of business, styles of cars, obesity rates, you name it

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I could've clarified that I was speaking of my individual (subjective) perception of time, and not trying to say everyone experiences it the same way, but I'm interested. How would going from the 90s to the 80s be noticeable, but 2020s to 2000s wouldn't be? Because to me, all of those Quantum Leaps would be close to immediately noticeable in terms of fashion, tech, communication, slang, methods of business, styles of cars, obesity rates, you name it
Yeah that's the first thing you notice when watching films from those era's...
Wait no, it's the TV you see in the background (unless it's later 2000's then it a bit harder to tell) or the flip phone they pull out.
Fashion is subjective, the main stand out will be women in low-rise jeans rather then high-rise and men not wearing skinny jeans which not everyone does anyway.
And cars? A majority of car owners are driving around in older cars from 10-15 years ago.
90's sure you gonna notice some of the older design cars.
But you ain't gonna notice the lack of Tesla's.
And slang? you still gonna get someone saying Bruh 🙄
As I said it wouldn't be obvious straight away.
Not saying you wouldn't notice eventually.
But it not as obvious as other era's which would be instant.
But yeah I do generally agree with you but I don't think this helps either.
It just adds to it.

CGNoire

I cant wait for DF to loudly claim "Its a really Impressive Improvement" when discussing a PS4 game vs a.....checks notes....Gamecube game.

RaduN

Comparing it against the HD mod is fucking bullshit and should be called out as such.

Reminds me of when they where showing off Dead Space Remake and they kept showing a picture of Issacc in an overly ambient lit room staring at a corner some where to make the difference as stark and.....misleading as possible.
Just as comparing to the pc, ps3, ps4, xbox360, xbox one, switch hd re-releases is bullshit, as they are horrible ports, missing all depth buffer effects, shaders, advanced particles, motion blur, bloom.

Anything other than the original GC/wii is basically shit. The HD Project actually restores all post peocessing effects, apart from redoing all the textures.

Emulation is a good middle ground, as it has all the proper effects, without the cheaty high res textures the mod has. It's basically how all the shitty releases along the many years, should have looked.

CGNoire

Just as comparing to the pc, ps3, ps4, xbox360, xbox one, switch hd re-releases is bullshit, as they are horrible ports, missing all depth buffer effects, shaders, advanced particles, motion blur, bloom.

Anything other than the original GC/wii is basically shit. The HD Project actually restores all post peocessing effects, apart from redoing all the textures.

Emulation is a good middle ground, as it has all the proper effects, without the cheaty high res textures the mod has. It's basically how all the shitty releases along the many years, should have looked.
Yep just played through Albert's and Chris's amazing mod this year. Work they put in is crazy.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Everywhere else on the internet people have been glowing and have had very positive reception towards the way RE4R looks. The only places that have had more naysayers than usual are NeoGaf and /v/

So make of that what you will.
This is a forum, not a circlejerk.

Comments about changing too much the look or voice of some characters, the colors\atmosphere or being graphically just ok 3 years into nextgen are all valid complaints.

And i preordered the game on pc months ago.

Last edited:

GymWolf

It's more fun to circlejerk over something that obviously looks awesome, as opposed to overly obsessing over minor inconsequential shit.
Maybe what is obvious for you is not obvious for others.

It would be more boring to hear only people praising the game, if i want that i can go in the official reddit page.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Maybe what is obvious for you is not obvious for others.

It would be more boring to hear only people praising the game, if i want that i can go in the official reddit page.

Tell me you're a contrarian without spelling it out for me.

JackMcGunns

Looks fine but anal blister is not to be trusted

Nonesense, he made an honest mistake years ago and has never screwed up again, for Christ's sake people are human. He mislabeled a Series X video with Series S... OH THE HORROR!!! Ban him 4 life!

Seriously, though, the channel has been outputing some excellent content and not a single incident has happened since.

Madflavor

Tell me you have no idea of how a forum work without spelling it out for me.

This is a fun game, your turn.

Ok so you want to complain about something and not get challenged on it, because you're on a forum. Well then excuse me, I've been a bad boy then.

GymWolf

Ok so you want to complain about something and not get challenged on it, because you're on a forum. Well then excuse me, I've been a bad boy then.
You can challenge me all you want dude, this was my point.

It's a forum, you say your positive piece, i say my negative one and we discuss about it.

I'm not even talking about me, just in general, i have the game in preorder since november because there problems are not enough to keep me away from the game, i just don't like when people dismiss other people opinions because out of here people are ripping their hairs off about the game, who gives a flying fuck about that?
Maybe their community doesn't allow people talking excessive shit on games like they do on reeeee or reddit where you get banned if they only sniff you talking about lazy devs or similar stuff.

If i wanted a forum of back patters i would have never visited gaf to begin with.

Last edited:

killatopak

To be quite honest, I wish I could unplay OG RE4 because it keeps fucking with my perception of the remake. Totally unrelated to the graphics but I haven’t heard a single VO in the remake I prefer over the old ones expect maybe Ashley because she’s just so whiny in the original.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

PS4: 900p/~45fps

PS4 Pro:
Resolution Mode: 2160p/~30fps
Performance Mode: Dynamic 1080p/~60fps

PS5:
Resolution Mode: 2160p/~60fps
Performance Mode: Dynamic 2160p/60fps

- All versions use the same temporal reconstruction technique for resolution that we saw in RE Village. PS5 runs at an average of 1872p in performance mode.
- The PS5 version has an advantage in almost all graphical settings. Animations, textures, LOD, lighting, shadows, post-processing effects... Although the oldgen version maintains an acceptable visual quality.
- PS5 Resolution mode activates Ray-Tracing by default, but we can enable/disable it even if we choose Resolution or Performance mode.
- Ray-Tracing improves the overall lighting of specific areas and reflections as we saw in Resident Evil Village. Its use is quite anecdotal.
- On PS5 it is possible to activate a graphics option that improves the physics of Leon's hair and other characters/animals. However, this option causes integration problems with the lighting in certain areas. I recommend not activating this enhancement for now.
- PS4/PS4 Pro remove the shadow casting of some elements and light points (especially indoor lamps).
- The oldgen versions present some problems in texture loading.
- Loading times are 5 times faster on PS5.
- General audio uses quite aggressive compression on PS4/PS4 Pro.
- The PS5 version supports VRR, although it does not exceed 60fps in any mode.

Last edited:

Zuzu

I downloaded the Resident Evil 4 Remake demo on both my PS5 and Series X. The Series X has noticeably better image quality in resolution mode. PS5 textures look grainy and aliased at medium/longer distances away.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm part of the problem but I can't get that excited, the old one doesn't seem that bad in comparison and I REALLY like the Wii version. Not to trash the remake or anything but meh.
I’ve been replaying the Xbone port, and while 60fps is great, there’s a part of me that wanted to dig out the GC or Wii version before playing the remake, but I didn’t have the time (would have to drive an hour to get them out of storage). Maybe I’ll play the GC original after the Remake at this point for the complete comparison.

BlackTron

I’ve been replaying the Xbone port, and while 60fps is great, there’s a part of me that wanted to dig out the GC or Wii version before playing the remake, but I didn’t have the time (would have to drive an hour to get them out of storage). Maybe I’ll play the GC original after the Remake at this point for the complete comparison.

What really sets the Wii version apart are the controls. RE4's control scheme seemed made for it from the start (you stop when you aim, so you can look and aim independently without any awkward "bounding box" solutions, it was perfection). Without that I think you may as well play Xbone/PS4, though I can't speak for the remake yet.

What really sets the Wii version apart are the controls. RE4's control scheme seemed made for it from the start (you stop when you aim, so you can look and aim independently without any awkward "bounding box" solutions, it was perfection). Without that I think you may as well play Xbone/PS4, though I can't speak for the remake yet.
I’ve played the GC and Wii versions both a million times. There’s some visual effects that are only in the GC version, and each (non-Wii) subsequent version has had control stick aiming dead zone issues, so I also want to compare some stuff visually and control wise with the HD port for shits and giggles.

I love the Wii version, though the IR aiming kinda makes sniper rifles lose half their value since really far away enemies have lower health and can die to the pistols in 1-2 hits easily with the pinpoint Wii aiming. So it kinda breaks the balance of the game. Not a huge deal but I just end up not bothering with rifles on the Wii version except for use in a few rooms.

Because most YouTubers now are fucking lazy and just rip their footage from other people's videos and quickly churn out low effort videos like this rather than doing their own research and sourcing their own footage.

But do they have a numbered list of things they wished they knew before starting Resident Evil 4 Remake?

What the hell, it looks LESS cinematic than the original. The color paletter is off too colorful vs the the subdued and cohesive palette in the original, lighting in many cutscenes is off, some cutscenes changed for the worse. Look at that Krauser knife fight, in the original, there's a light shaft from above that really adds to the atmosphere and drama, in the remake it's totally flat. Technology is always improving but taste and talent sure ain't.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A comprehensive comparison between the new Resident Evil 4 Remake and the original Resident Evil 4, including graphics, gameplay mechanics, features, and level layout changes.

Table of Contents:

00:00 Intro
01:08 Settings
02:17 Models
06:29 Environment
07:47 Lighting
09:12 Effects
09:59 Gameplay/Controls
13:28 Inventory
15:24 Treasure
16:46 Shooting Range
17:47 Ashley
18:52 Level Layouts - Village
23:36 Level Layouts - Castle
28:14 Level Layouts - Island
29:51 Sound
37:18 Conclusion

A Comprehensive Comparison of Resident Evil 4 and its Remake​

Capcom’s Resident Evil 4 was first released in 2005, and since then, it has become a classic game that is loved by many. Recently, Capcom released a remake of the game, which has left many wondering how the remake compares to the original game. In this article, we will take an in-depth look at the recently released remake of Resident Evil 4 and see how it compares both visually and from a gameplay perspective to the original Resident Evil 4.

Visual Differences​

The remake has seen tactical improvements to the visual design in just about every area. The new visuals are used to reimagine these iconic moments just like the Resident Evil 2 and 3 remakes. However, the remake isn’t just a graphical overhaul. The entirety of the game has been reworked with more modernized controls, rewritten story, and some drastically different layouts to each of the game's chapters.

Both games are being played on the PC with the graphic settings cranked up as high as possible at a native 4K resolution. However, for a cleaner image comparison, the effects like motion blur and chromatic aberration have been disabled. For reference, the classic Resident Evil 4 being used for the basis of this comparison is the HD re-release of the PC version. Technically, the original GameCube released to the game is the preferred classic Resident Evil 4 experience along with the PS2 version that comes with some additional content at the expense of visual quality.

Character Models​

The primary protagonist Leon S Kennedy has been retained almost exactly; his appearance has been updated to reflect the changed appearance used in the Resident Evil 2 remake. Leon’s old leather jacket and tactical black shirt pants and holsters are all the same. However, the massively improved animation quality at play here with individual strands of hair bouncing as he runs and more fluid walking and running animation loops that make him navigate the environment more naturally are very impressive. Leon now features a massive leap in polycon over his old GameCube counterpart along with more advanced shaders shadowing and subsurface scattering giving him an almost lifelike appearance in-game.

Ashley Graham, unlike Leon, has been given a new base design to her outfit with an orange jacket over top of her classic sleeveless turtleneck sweater. She’s also now wearing dark stockings along with a plaid green score instead of her just plaid green skirt from before. Ashley herself also looks slightly older in the remake, more in line with being 20 years old, whereas the original design and accompanying voice performance gave the impression that she was much younger.

Other supporting characters like Ada Wong, Louise, and the merchant are a bit more faithful to their original designs. Ada does sport a new sweater dress, and Louise has gone from Brown chinos to Blue Jeans, but otherwise their core design and the personality that comes through with these design decisions matches up almost exactly to their 2005 counterparts.

Enemies​

The most common enemy type in the game, the ganados, has been greatly expanded upon with improved geometry animation design and visual detail. The hairs on the bearded ganados, in particular, are very impressive, and the sheer density and variety in larger hordes really stands apart from the original game’s comically recycled enemy types around every corner. The rest of the ganados from the later X also share the same general aesthetic design as the source material, but there are a few interesting…

In conclusion, the Resident Evil 4 remake is not just a graphical overhaul, but the entirety of the game has been reworked with more modernized controls, rewritten story, and some drastically different layouts to each of the game’s chapters. The new visuals are used to reimagine these iconic

april6e

The RE4 remake was perfect except for the removal of the entire U-3 boss fight sequence and the Ada changes. Capcom really has been knocking it out of the park lately.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A comparison between Original Leon from Resident Evil 4 (2005) and Remake Leon (or REon as I call him) from Resident Evil 4 Remake (2023). In the remake Leon's characters was turned a few notched toward the realism as the eventsx of Racoon City were traumatic for him, and he barely resembles the Old school Leon who was an iconic action hero with sharp one-liners.

The video discusses the comparison between Original Leon from Resident Evil 4 (2005) and Remake Leon (or REon) from Resident Evil 4 Remake (2023). The remake Leon's character was turned a few notches towards realism as the events of Racoon City were traumatic for him, and he barely resembles the old school Leon who was an iconic action hero with sharp one-liners.

Here are the key points:

• The OG Leon from Resident Evil 4 was a confident, flirty, manly, braggadociously funny hero from the 2000s.
  • The Remake Leon, or REon, from Resident Evil 4 Remake, is a more realistic, grim, serious, boyish, and not as funny hero.
  • Fans of the original Leon prefer the cheesy lines that he has in the old game and miss them in the remake.
  • The original RE4 is unique in its tone and atmosphere and cannot be replicated, according to some viewers.
  • The OG Leon is still regarded as the "Chad" despite having lower graphics than the Remake.
  • The realism of the remake seems to dampen the cheesiness of the OG RE4, which was one of its best parts.
  • The new Leon is great because it feels like a natural progression from what he was like in RE2.
  • The priest Mendez, purple robe-wearing cult leader Saddler, and Napoleon-like castellan Salazar were made more believable/realistic in the Remake, while an ex-military Major Krauser became more cheesy/cartoonish than in the OG.
  • Leon in the original game looked way more mature and confident than in the remake.
  • The original Leon from Resident Evil 4 is badass and has a special place in the viewers' hearts.
Key Takeaway: The viewers have mixed opinions about the comparison between the OG Leon and Remake Leon. While some prefer the OG Leon's cheesiness and the unique atmosphere of the original game, others appreciate the realism and natural progression of the Remake Leon's character. Regardless, both Leons are badass and hold a special place in the viewers'

Top Bottom