• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Restaurant chain Chuck E. Cheese prepares to go public

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guevara

Time to put your money where your mouth is

The parent of Chuck E. Cheese has begun preparations for an initial public offering (IPO) that could value the U.S. restaurant chain at more than $1 billion, including debt, people familiar with the situation said on Tuesday.

The IPO would be a bet that Irving, Texas-based Chuck E. Cheese's arcade games and kid-focused activities will differentiate it in the minds of investors from other more commoditized restaurant chains that have failed to whet their appetite.

Chuck E. Cheese's private equity owner, Apollo Global Management, has initiated conversations with banks about an IPO that could come in the second half of 2017, though it has not yet hired underwriters, the people said.

Chuck E. Cheese was taken private by Apollo in 2014 for $1.3 billion, including debt. It has since sought to broaden its appeal beyond children, expanding its alcohol offerings for adults.

Chuck E. Cheese was founded in 1977 by Nolan Bushnell, the founder of video game company Atari and one of the first bosses of Apple founder Steve Jobs.

The company and its franchisees now operate a system of 603 Chuck E. Cheese and 144 Peter Piper Pizza stores, with locations in 47 U.S. states and 11 other countries.

http://www.businessinsider.com/restaurant-chain-chuck-e-cheese-prepares-ipo-2017-1

BUicA.gif

Just figured out my retirement plan

Start a fight in the ball pit, if old.

Too bad we already have Dave and Busters.

Chuck E cheese is where I spent my childhood beating TMNT arcade game and devouring the best brownies ever.

Downhome

Didn't the creator, Nolan Bushnell, turn down an offer to join with Apple to invest at startup but instead opted to create Chuck E. Cheese instead?

Dude ended up alright, but wow.

EDIT:

Yep.

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/...-third-of-apple-at-50000-20150323-1m62cm.html

Given a time machine, many people might say their first order of business would be to go back to the 70s and buy a big chunk of Apple stock. For Nolan Bushnell, founder of video game company Atari, this is not so much a fantasy as a very real opportunity that he passed up nearly 40 years ago.

Talking to ABC News Breakfast on Molnday, the 72-year-old engineer recounts how a young Steve Jobs — formerly an employee at Atari — asked Bushnell for $US50,000 in return for a third of the newly-formed Apple Computer, and Bushnell said no.

kamspy

Great place to go if you want to see adults fight at a child's birthday party or want some prison tier pizza.

ShyMel

I loved going to Chuck E Cheese as a kid. Interestingly enough, the closest one near me is located down the street from a mall with Dave and Busters in it. Wonder how that affects business.

opoth

Banned
Some of you guys missed the good Chuck E Cheese in the 80s. The one near me had 50+ arcade classics and competent pizza before they closed in the mid 90s. Lots of Tron and TMNT as a kid. It came back here a few years ago, I have no kids but I imagine its redemption game central these days.

Cardon

I actually went to a Chuck E Cheese two weeks ago since it's where my wife and I decided to have our daughter's birthday, don't shame us too much as it was only $200 compared to the $400 price of other places.

While the pizza was bad as other have said, I was truly shocked at how damn packed it was. Wasn't just packed with other parties, but even the smaller tables were full and when we were leaving, around 5:30pm, there was a line out the door to get in.

So yeah, Chuck E. is definitely bringing in that cheese.

OldMan

Banned
I went in a Chuck E.Cheese the other day for their delicious pizza only to find out they don't do carry out.

chucke5f-1-web.jpg
the one on the left is what I grew up with

maxcriden

It's not about the pizza breh. It's about the experience.

I took my little bro there and the experience at the one we went to was kinda sad with crappy games. The experience at this location at least definitely wasn't any better than the pizza unfortunately.

I don't remember since its been so long. We talking Cici's bad or Pizza Hut bad?

We're talking, makes you long for gas station pies bad. It tastes like corrugated cardboard. I tried a piece once as a kid. Of cardboard, I mean. That had a better texture.

Cicis is gourmet brick oven in comparison

Nah unless Chuck E Cheese has gotten really bad since the last time I had it, Cici is worse. Literally the only pizza place that's given me and other people I know food poisoning (at completely different locations). Heck I'd say my memory of Chuck E Cheese is better than the overprice crap that is Papa John's.

Did Chuck E. Cheese absorb Major Magic's or put them out of business? I remember a Major Magic's one day being a Chuck E. Cheese when we drove by it while I was pretty young.

I have fond memories of Chuck E. Cheese. The best was when a friend of mine was racing on a motorcycle video game that had you sitting on a motorcycle in front of the screen. Chuck E. just rolled up and climbed on the back while my friend was playing and freaked him the eff out. Hahaha.

jadedm17

Too bad we already have Dave and Busters.

Chuck E cheese is where I spent my childhood beating TMNT arcade game and devouring the best brownies ever.

Here in Nowhereland, FL the closest DB is hours away; Chuck e Cheese is around the corner (and always busy). My old boss would order their pizza takeout all the time and i loved it.

sflufan

Banned
I wonder how they are gonna convince investors that the ball pits aren't festering petri dishes of various human bodily fluids?

Volimar

When I was a kid was when all the arcades around me started drying up. feelsbad

There was this really fun player arena style mech combat game that just ate all my tokens. Don't remember the name.

FyreWulff

When I was a kid was when all the arcades around me started drying up. feelsbad

There was this really fun player arena style mech combat game that just ate all my tokens. Don't remember the name.

it's probably either Virtua On (mechs) or Cyber Sled (more like tanks)

I took my son there a couple weeks ago after I realized GameWorks didn't have much stuff for him at his age.

The place was ghetto as hell, and everyone smelled awful. It is also massively different than I remember. Theres no ball pit and only one square tube to crawl through. Kinda sad :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom