• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retail reports indicate Nintendo DS pricing, launch date, software

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Unconfirmed reports from Japanese retail sources suggest that Nintendo is planning to roll out the DS handheld on November 4th priced at 19,000 Yen (140 Euro), followed by a US launch on November 11th at $179.95 (145 Euro).

The retail prices suggested in this report would almost certainly make the NDS significantly cheaper than the PlayStation Portable, which is expected to cost well over 30,000 Yen (220 Euro) when it arrives in Japan later this year, ahead of a US and European launch in 2005.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content/ret/3795

Tritroid

$179 is still within my price range. Although it would be nicer if it were a bit cheaper... maybe $150?

Deg

Banned
Expensive? Wasnt DS supposed to be $250? I dont find this rumour reliable especially as they have set dates.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Milhouse31 said:
you can find the same info in another thread. The source is 2ch so the veracity of those rumors are pretty low.

Just wondering who exactly is 2ch. This is the first I've heard of them. Would they be in the know?

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Lost Weekend said:
Just wondering who exactly is 2ch. This is the first I've heard of them. Would they be in the know?

2ch is the biggest anonymous japanese messageboard. Lots of info there but also lots of BS.

Deg said:
Expensive? Wasnt DS supposed to be $250? I dont find this rumour reliable especially as they have set dates.

$250?!? who the hell said $250 ever?!

I was hearing $129.99 to $149.99... they price this at $180 this christmas and I guarantee it sells like crap.

however, I doubt they price it that high... however, it doesnt much matter to me.. I am going to save the money I'd put towards a DS for the overly expensive PSP, and hope that it gets some price drops about a year in so that I can afford it if it launches too expensive.

neptunes

eb-games
gamestop
wal-mart
best-buy
(list continues)

all have the DS listed as $199.99 :( hurry nintendo and give us a rough estimate.

jarrod

Banned
Even at $179, the DS will sell out anything Nintendo can supply this year. When PSP releases next spring, both DS and GBASP will probably see a $20-$30 drop (GBASP will remain at $99 this year).

I hope they bundle in Picto-Chat with the DS.

GDGF

Soothsayer
It'll sell out at 179 with the early adopter crowd, sure, but I still think it's going to launch at 149. Whether that means a 79 dollar GBASP at christmas or not I don't know.

BeOnEdge

Banned
179? for an enhanced GBA? BOMB. if the GBA costs $20 to make, this thing cant cost more than $50-$70. they are trying to pad GCs lackluster sales with DS profit if it launches at that price. what a rip.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
The SP is an enhanced GBA. Calling the DS and advanced GC an enhanced N64. Only even worst, at least the second comparison doesn't have things like touchscreen involved.

BeOnEdge

Banned
Mama Smurf said:
The SP is an enhanced GBA. Calling the DS and advanced GC an enhanced N64. Only even worst, at least the second comparison doesn't have things like touchscreen involved.

errr...NO. the SP is a GBA with a damn light. that price cant be correct. theres no way the DS costs more than $70 to make. maybe i'm wrong but even at $100 to manufacture, $179 is too high. especially while keeping the SP on the market? BOMB.

jarrod

Banned
BeOnEdge said:
179? for an enhanced GBA? BOMB. if the GBA costs $20 to make, this thing cant cost more than $50-$70. they are trying to pad GCs lackluster sales with DS profit if it launches at that price. what a rip.
Well, it's got a higher clocked GBA chip (ARM7), additional higher spec chip (ARM9), two frontlit screens both of which are larger than GBA's single screen (one of which is touch sensitive), two cart interfaces, 802.11 WiFi, Motorolla's local wireless tech, a stylus, a microphone, two additional buttons, a headphone jack and likely the Picto-Chat software application. I think it really might cost over $100 to make a DS, and that doesn't include packaging or distribution costs...

BeOnEdge

Banned
even with all that stuff, this is nintendo. the KINGS of getting the goods in CHEAP. i still say 179 is either too high or just wrong.

jarrod

Banned
BeOnEdge said:
even with all that stuff, this is nintendo. the KINGS of getting the goods in CHEAP. i still say 179 is either too high or just wrong.
Well obviously, Nintendo's out to make a profit on hardware here. Still, they're probably not making the insane margins they did off GBC/A/SP either.

wazoo

GBA SP is overpriced because people are ready to pay the price for it (same situation as for the ps2).

DS is really worth more than 100$, but how much more ??

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I really feel sorry for those of you who have to argue like $180 is somehow overpriced. I don't think there's been a Wifi-enabled portable device yet that's sold for sub-$200 at launch, but I could be wrong. Still, at best there may have been very few. If the rumors/reports are true and Nintendo sells this for less than $200 then I'd think you'd be hard-pressed to find a better deal that encompasses the same level and breadth of technology.

Alcibiades

$149 for DS is too low considering the $99 SP currently in the market (which doesn't need a price drop anytime soon, considering the brisk sales)...

$199 sounds just about right for the DS, I'd be surprised if they launched at $180 considering the price of the two screens and how much more it packs than SP (also, my bet is Nintendo wants to make good money off the hardware anyway)...

In fact, I wouldn't expect a price drop for either when PSP launches unless it significantly affects sales...

Either way, expect launch quantities to sell out if there is a November launch...

Also, expect a successful run for DS no matter what the price, this thing, if it launches in Christmas, will have a lot of momentum going in the new year...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
They can easily ride that price point initially. I'm sure they'll drop around PSP-time, or soon after. 179 seems reasonable to me given the features in the system (two screens and wifi, specifically).

edit - I'd also consider that CHEAP if it hit euro with that price intact. I spent 130 euro on a GBASP a month or two ago, which is just 15 euro short of this DS price.

You can get a PSOne + LCD for $149! You can also get a N64 for like $30, and it actually has texture filtering and perspective correction!

$179 = BAH. As a novelty trinket or a GBA SP replacement, I'd pay $100 for the DS, tops.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Drinky Crow said:
You can get a PSOne + LCD for $149! You can also get a N64 for like $30, and it actually has texture filtering and perspective correction!

$179 = BAH. As a novelty trinket or a GBA SP replacement, I'd pay $100 for the DS, tops.
Because all the DS does is play PSOne games and N64 games without filters.

How about this: You can get a PS2 for $150, and you never need to worry about battery life and a smaller screen! WHY GET A PSP?

Because the PSOne + LCD is -- dig this -- portable? I even have a cute little knapsack thing for it. I just threw the N64 in because the shitty specs of the DS irritate me to no end -- it would take a hell of a library to make me fork out $179 just to revisit the ugly-ass PSOne era 3D visuals when I already have a PSOne.

I don't have anything resembling a portable PS2, currently, because Sony hasn't seen fit to release a 640x480 LCD screen with a decent refresh and/or a smaller form factor "PSTwo",. The PSP sounds killer because I get modern visuals and controls, although I'm sitting out the first batch of those buggers until Sony gets the manufacturing quality down.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Drinky Crow said:
Because the PSOne + LCD is -- dig this -- portable? I even have a cute little knapsack thing for it. I just threw the N64 in because the shitty specs of the DS irritate me to no end -- it would take a hell of a library to make me fork out $179 just to revisit the ugly-ass PSOne era 3D visuals when I already have a PSOne.

I don't have anything resembling a portable PS2, currently, because Sony hasn't seen fit to release a 640x480 LCD screen with a decent refresh. The PSP sounds killer because I get modern visuals and controls and/or a smaller form factor "PSTwo", although I'm sitting out the first batch of those buggers until Sony gets the manufacturing quality down.
The PSOne comparison still makes no sense, because it's not as if DS plays PSOne games, or even PSOne ports. The fact that someone has a PSOne and LCD screen doesn't have anything to do with the DS. It's like saying, "You already have a PC Engine...why buy an Xbox?"

As far as the PSP, my whole point was that it isn't just a portable PS2, and that it will have plenty of unique software that you can't play anywhere else...much like the DS.

jarrod

Banned
Nintendo pricing predictions...

Holiday 2004
-GameBoy Advance SP @ $99
-GameCube (Metroid bundle) @ $99
-Nintendo DS @ $179

Spring 2005
-GameBoy Advance SP @ $79
-GameCube @ $79
-Nintendo DS @ $149

No, it's like saying "you have a tiny PSOne form factor with a great LCD screen that uses 1996's technology, why buy 2004 technology that's marginally smaller, has a bunch of novelty geegaws, yet has the same fucking ugly-ass caveman 1996 3D graphics quality?" Nintendo isn't even nice enough to significantly up the screen resolution or bit depth to help 2D along.

Or have PSOne-era threedee visuals come back in vogue, and their detrimental effect on modern gameplay perception all been outed as an elitist conspiracy? It's like getting NES graphics in the Saturn era -- the glitches, warping, and artifacts are a pretty big freakin' eyesore.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Drinky Crow said:
No, it's like saying "you have a tiny PSOne form factor with a great LCD screen that uses 1996's technology, why buy 2004 technology that's marginally smaller, has a bunch of novelty geegaws, yet has the same fucking 1996 graphics quality?"

Or have PSOne-era threedee visuals come back in vogue, and their detrimental effect on modern gameplay perception all been outed as an elitist conspiracy? It's like getting NES graphics in the Saturn era -- the glitches, warping, and artifacts are a pretty big freakin' eyesore.
Clearly, you're pretty hung up on the graphics, and I'm not going to try and tell you they're PSP caliber or anything. But you can't use the technology to brush aside the value of any and all games coming out for the device...especially when said device has equipment on it that could potentially make for games that are unique, fun experiences.

Hell, even if the DS didn't have two screens or a stylus or what have you, and was basically a portable N64, it still doesn't deserve to be discounted so early on just because of its tech, because the software could redeem it. After all, the GBA's technology is horrendously outdated at this point, but that doesn't mean Mario and Luigi was any less of a kickass game.

jarrod

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
It's nice, but outside of a schoolyard or one of those creepy E3 nerd clusterfucks, I'm not gonna find anyone to use it with.
Move to NYC. I'll play both DS and PSP with you.

So by that measure, I should immediately buy EVERY piece of hardware that comes out, just because it might have a game I'll like on it? I shouldn't expect the most hardware bang for my buck, or for a little freakin' PROGRESS rather than a landslide back to a day of nearly incoherent proto-3D visuals?

Sorry, warping textures and absent texture filtering/perspective correction/proper alpha channel is NOT something I'm willing to drop $179 for, seeing what a HUGE step back it is. I actually wouldn't mind a portable N64 -- get rid of the dual screens and touch pad, and fix the N64's texture caching issues, and I'd be tempted even at $179.

Like I said, I'll pay $100 for it as a cute gimmicky toy with a few good games. The WiFi is nice, but the touch pad/stylus and the dual screen crap is totally throwaway fluff used solely to differentiate the product without real consideration. Unique and innovative games can happen on ANY format, given the proper developer mindset, and I'd rather play them on a format where the visuals aren't so damn ugly.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Drinky Crow said:
So by that measure, I should immediately buy EVERY piece of hardware that comes out, just because it might have a game I'll like on it?

Unique and innovative games can happen on ANY format, given the proper developer mindset.

That's what I mean. :)

Nobody says you have to buy a DS, but by the same token it's nonsensical to dimiss it by saying you can get a PSOne package instead.

Also, as a small aside: I think you might be stretching the poor quality of the DS' 3D a bit far -- it's no PSP, but I don't think it's "nearly incoherent".

Metroid Hunters sure had some serious texture warping and pixelation, and the Mario 64x4 title wasn't exactly attractive, either.

jarrod

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
The WiFi is nice, but the touch pad/stylus and the dual screen crap is totally throwaway fluff used solely to differentiate the product without real consideration.
I agree with the dual screens but the touch screen has me pretty excited actually. Pac-Pix, Wario Ware and the Submarine demo all used it to great effect and did things not really possible before on dedicated gaming platforms... I hope the next GameBoy features touch interface.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
How can you agree on the touchscreen and not the dual screens? It's so vital to have a second screen for some games, you don't want to have to control a game like Pac n Roll on one screen.

Mama Smurf said:
How can you agree on the touchscreen and not the dual screens? It's so vital to have a second screen for some games, you don't want to have to control a game like Pac n Roll on one screen.
Or Baby Mario's Balloon Trip, which I hope to God gets released somehow. Maybe as a bonus game in one of the Mario titles...

Alcibiades

jarrod said:
Nintendo pricing predictions...

Holiday 2004
-Nintendo DS @ $179

Spring 2005
-GameBoy Advance SP @ $79
-GameCube @ $79
-Nintendo DS @ $149

more like:

Holiday 2004
-Nintendo DS @ $179

Spring 2005
-GameCube @ $99
-Nintendo DS @ $179

if PSP doesn't really affect sales...

jarrod

Banned
Mama Smurf said:
Eh, dual screens open things up to new possibilites but honestly I'd rather have one large high quality screen like PSP. I don't really look forward to 2 screens on the next GB, though I think touch interface and wirelesss should be standard.

Drinky Crow said:
No, it's like saying "you have a tiny PSOne form factor with a great LCD screen that uses 1996's technology, why buy 2004 technology that's marginally smaller, has a bunch of novelty geegaws, yet has the same fucking ugly-ass caveman 1996 3D graphics quality?" Nintendo isn't even nice enough to significantly up the screen resolution or bit depth to help 2D along.
More than marginal size difference, extra screen, _battery_, novelty geegaws, and Nintendo games are decent to me.

Top Bottom