• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Portal has sold out two days after launch | Listings with inflated prices have started to appear online

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I'm looking forward to trying it out. I've heard a lot of good things. I just wish they would figure out how to make this thing work with cloud streaming. Also greedy as hell to make folks buy their own earphones for this that cost as much as the hanheld itself. Guess I'll be digging up some wired earbuds.
They eventually will. Maybe in v2.

If they unlock it now, they (kind of) make the PS5 redundant for people who can/do cloud gaming.

TheTony316

I'm looking forward to trying it out. I've heard a lot of good things. I just wish they would figure out how to make this thing work with cloud streaming. Also greedy as hell to make folks buy their own earphones for this that cost as much as the hanheld itself. Guess I'll be digging up some wired earbuds.

You can buy a bluetooth transmitter with a headphone jack and use wireless that way. It works without issues.

61pryFzLs2L.jpg
thought-id-share-my-solution-to-using-my-bluetooth-v0-ls52d7ifx02c1.jpg

Last edited:

TheTony316

I've had mine since January and I think I've used it more than playing on the actual PS5 console lol. Very conformable to hold and the screen size is perfect for the games I've played so far (FFVIIR, Granblue Fantasy: Relink, HD2, Star Rail, Unicorn Overlord).

I use mine for playing in bed. It's great for JRPGs and games like Pentiment.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
You can buy a bluetooth transmitter with a headphone jack and use wireless that way. It works without issues.

61pryFzLs2L.jpg
thought-id-share-my-solution-to-using-my-bluetooth-v0-ls52d7ifx02c1.jpg

I have a Creative bluetooth transmitter that I'm going to try. It is a USB C transmitter so I'll have to take it off when charging the portal, but it won't need to be charged itself as it will run off the USB power.

Killjoy-NL

I've had mine since January and I think I've used it more than playing on the actual PS5 console lol. Very conformable to hold and the screen size is perfect for the games I've played so far (FFVIIR, Granblue Fantasy: Relink, HD2, Star Rail, Unicorn Overlord).
The other day, I was comparing the screensize of the Portal when I hold it while gaming to how big my OLED appears to be when playing on my PS5 itself.

It's roughly the same effective size. Pretty well thought through.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Amazing device. Playing through FF7 remake to get remaining trophies from my first play through a few years back and get the platinum before I start rebirth and I have flown through it with the portal in between work calls and lunch breaks. This makes me want an actual handheld from Sony but this is the ticket right now. Dualsense features on a handheld just make this a dream.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Anyone play Helldivers 2 on it? is there any lag when a lot of stuff going on?
Been playing HD2 on Portal 99% of my playtime (and gaming on Portal in general).
Depending on your wifi-connection, it works flawlessly.

Same goes for all other online multiplayer, btw.
But like I said, it depends on your wifi-network.

The only issues I've had were with my router and wifi-network itself.
Got it solved with my ISP and got giganet inet as well.
Works perfectly.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
If you're close enough to your PS5 you can use whatever wireless headphones you already have connected to the console. Explore or BT transmitter would only be a necessity for on the go or if you move too far from the console and your headphones lose connection

Ah....that's good to know. I can plug my transmitter into the USB port on my PS5 and try it that way.

Thanks.

So wait, the stutter issue is still there and I completely forgot about no Bluetooth option for headphones. *facepalm.

Just now reading about this stuttering issue. That's a bit concerning.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Wanted to play the other day some PS5 but my GF was working in the same room I have my console in - no biggie right ? Let me grab my Dualsense and Samsung tab s9+ with its beautiful, AMOLED screen and start PS remote play up !
Well, no...
- Sync up your DS to the tab first (which then you have to repair it to the PS5 again using the provided USB cable)

- Having your 12.4 inch tablet sitting on your lap while in bed while also trying to find a proper position as to not have your hands obstructing the screen... yeah...

- No Dualsense support as in, no rumble, no haptics (on Android at least).

- It's a general annoyance, grab your tab, grab and sync your joypad, try to find a comfy position, no rumble and then having to put back everything is a ball-ache, tried to remote play for half an hour and in the end I just quit, it's just too much of a hassle.

All this is in stark contrast to the PS portal where you just grab it, turn it on and you're good to go in just a couple of seconds - no need for 2 different devices (tab/phone + joypad), rumble and haptics included, no need to sync and desync stuff (ie joypads), IMO it's worth it just for the whole general ease of use.

Now, if I could actually find the damn thing available here in Europe at not scalper prices...

FrankWza

Just now reading about this stuttering issue. That's a bit concerning.
Check the Portal OT. There's some good posts about setup in there. A lot of times it's a handshake issue or the Portal needs to be restarted or reconnected. It's just a matter of time until the out in an option or toggle.

Ah....that's good to know. I can plug my transmitter into the USB port on my PS5 and try it that way.

Thanks.
Yeah or use your headset like you're playing on your PS5 and just use the Portal or swap back and forth.

FrankWza

Wanted to play the other day some PS5 but my GF was working in the same room I have my console in - no biggie right ? Let me grab my Dualsense and Samsung tab s9+ with its beautiful, AMOLED screen and start PS remote play up !
Well, no...
- Sync up your DS to the tab first (which then you have to repair it to the PS5 again using the provided USB cable)

- Having your 12.4 inch tablet sitting on your lap while in bed while also trying to find a proper position as to not have your hands obstructing the screen... yeah...

- It's a general annoyance, grab your tab, grab and sync your joypad, try to find a comfy position, no rumble and then having to put back everything is a ball-ache, tried to remote play for half an hour and in the end I just quit, it's just too much of a hassle.

All this is in stark contrast to the PS portal where you just grab it, turn it on and you're good to go in just a couple of seconds - no need for 2 different devices (tab/phone + joypad), rumble and haptics included, no need to sync and desync stuff (ie joypads), IMO it's worth it just for the whole general ease of use.

Now, if I could actually find the damn thing available here in Europe at not scalper prices...
A lot of people doubt it but until you use it and see how much sense it makes those small conveniences are easy to brush off.

jm89

Well, no...

Keep an eye out on ps direct.

Multiple countries(Germany, USA, UK) have restocked this week. Germany and UK still in stock for hours, other european countries might as well.

Last edited:

Zathalus

.6hz variance is causing the problem? Good grief Sony.
Yeah, it has three solutions:

1. Output to VRR screen. (Obviously not possible as the Portal doesn't have one).
2. Change the PS5 output to 60z. (Maybe not feasible or too much work?)
3. Enable frame pacing on the Portal. (Should be 100% feasible as Chiaki does it).

Should be just a easy software fix for Sony but considering how long SSD and VRR support took it may be a while. It is literally my only major complaint right now.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
.6hz variance is causing the problem? Good grief Sony.
Weird - there was a thread the other day about how this was an issue with Series consoles when playing blu-rays whereas the PS5 played them with exactly 60Hz.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah, it has three solutions:

1. Output to VRR screen. (Obviously not possible as the Portal doesn't have one).
2. Change the PS5 output to 60z. (Maybe not feasible or too much work?)
3. Enable frame pacing on the Portal. (Should be 100% feasible as Chiaki does it).

Should be just a easy software fix for Sony but considering how long SSD and VRR support took it may be a while. It is literally my only major complaint right now.

Well.....just reviewed the return policay and I have 30 days. If it is an annoyance then I'l return the thing. This shouldn't even be an issue though. Talking about a Sony product made to work with a Sony product. Perhaps they should have spent less time making sure that only their own branded bluetooth earbuds work exclusively with the thing and more on the basics of creating the best game streaming product they can.

jm89

Portal just doesn't seem like a priority for sony.

We haven't had a software update since December(even that was a small update) and stock is still patchy.

Complistic

Well.....just reviewed the return policay and I have 30 days. If it is an annoyance then I'l return the thing. This shouldn't even be an issue though. Talking about a Sony product made to work with a Sony product. Perhaps they should have spent less time making sure that only their own branded bluetooth earbuds work exclusively with the thing and more on the basics of creating the best game streaming product they can.
I returned mine after about a week. I didn't like that it didn't have any stream quality options. Chiaki on the steam deck looked and performed better for me.

Topher

Gold Member
Weird - there was a thread the other day about how this was an issue with Series consoles when playing blu-rays whereas the PS5 played them with exactly 60Hz.

Hmmm, that's interesting. Wonder if its related.

I returned mine after about a week. I didn't like that it didn't have any stream quality options. Chiaki on the steam deck looked and performed better for me.

Chiaki on my Steam Deck OLED works really well.....mostly. It has this issue for me where the Wifi icon wil start flashing as if I'm moving out of range even though I'm not moving at all. So I have to shut down Chiaki and restart it every so often. A bit annoying. If not for that, I probably wouldn't get PS Portal.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Portal just doesn't seem like a priority for sony.

We haven't had a software update since December(even that was a small update) and stock is still patchy.

If there isn't anything to patch right now, then they won't patch just for patching. They might working on a larger update for the Portal with a small patch before they deploy a major new update,

Complistic

Chiaki on my Steam Deck OLED works really well.....mostly. It has this issue for me where the Wifi icon wil start flashing as if I'm moving out of range even though I'm not moving at all. So I have to shut down Chiaki and restart it every so often. A bit annoying. If not for that, I probably wouldn't get PS Portal.
My money's on the Chiaki dev adding a toggle for the wifi notification before Sony adds robust streaming quality options.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Why would this be an issue?
For me? No.

For Sony? It is an issue because it'd devalue their main product, i.e., PS5.

They wouldn't want to prioritize selling a $199 device over a $499 device -- especially when the latter also encourages PSN software sales.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
They eventually will. Maybe in v2.

If they unlock it now, they (kind of) make the PS5 redundant for people who can/do cloud gaming.

For me? No.

For Sony? It is an issue because it'd devalue their main product, i.e., PS5.

They wouldn't want to prioritize selling a $199 device over a $499 device -- especially when the latter also encourages PSN software sales.

Well they wouldn't have to allow every game to be playable through the cloud if this was an issue. But it would give more positives to owning a Portal and having PS+ Premium.

I guess the question is......how much do they want to grow their Premium tier of PS+.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Well they wouldn't have to allow every game to be playable through the cloud if this was an issue. But it would give more positives to owning a Portal and having PS+ Premium.

I guess the question is......how much do they want to grow their Premium tier of PS+.
It all comes down to opportunity cost. By the looks of it from the outside, it seems like that will decrease Sony's total revenue and profit margins if Portal starts making the PS5 redundant.

A strong possibility that Sony also forecasts the same. Otherwise, they'd have enabled Cloud gaming on Portal.

Sony is normally very good at adopting technology at the right time. They have the foundation set. If/when a time comes when Cloud gaming starts taking precedence, they can quickly adapt to this with Portal.

Shwing

Just my feedback on the Portal...
Have had it since week 1, and on my wifi/setup it works like a dream!
Crisp as anything, and smooth as butter.
Was playing Helldivers 2 earlier, worked perfectly.
For me, the Portal is superb!

Edit: BTW, After taking way longer that I should sorting through the various case options, I finally went with this case a few weeks after getting device. Absolutely recommend it! https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CN3QBYVS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It all comes down to opportunity cost. By the looks of it from the outside, it seems like that will decrease Sony's total revenue and profit margins if Portal starts making the PS5 redundant.

A strong possibility that Sony also forecasts the same. Otherwise, they'd have enabled Cloud gaming on Portal.

Sony is normally very good at adopting technology at the right time. They have the foundation set. If/when a time comes when Cloud gaming starts taking precedence, they can quickly adapt to this with Portal.

I do 100% expect them to do it at their pace. I'd say a year before the PS6 will be released is probably when they'll push that update.

I do 100% expect them to do it at their pace. I'd say a year before the PS6 will be released is probably when they'll push that update.

Yea I have a big belief that once the PS6 starts Sony will be a lot less worried about losing their base. They are focused on getting everyone to PS5 first. Just a theory I have though.

FrankWza

I still say they should just make a version that works with or without the PS5 and charge a premium. If people that buy it do end up with a PS5 great. If not they can offset that potential loss in tie-in purchases with the mark up. Early adopters don't miss out because chances are there were just a small % that bought a Portal first and then a PS5.

Top Bottom