• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retired GAF members...

Mondai

Do you ever feel like a freeloader when you are just at home all day? Most people think it is the best thing ever when you stay home and don't have to work (and for the most part it is) but sometimes you just find yourself being extremely bored/depressed , like you're just wasting space . I know I should find something to do besides gaming but I am so indecisive on what hobbies I want to do that I really think about it alot and can't find a definitive answer on what to do. Those in a similar positon , what you do with your free time besides gaming, watching TV, internet?

Thaedolus

I find when I have too much time on my hands, I end up doing way less with my time than when I’m in a regimented schedule and have responsibilities.

OP, it’s time you became a Wal-Mart greeter.

Mondai

I find when I have too much time on my hands, I end up doing way less with my time than when I’m in a regimented schedule and have responsibilities.

OP, it’s time you became a Wal-Mart greeter.
Can I tell people to go fuck themselves?

Sybrix

I'm not retired and im a long way off but i think to myself what i would do.

I would volunteer or work part time.

Do you not want to do either of these?

Mondai

I'm not retired and im a long way off but i think to myself what i would do.

I would volunteer or work part time.

Do you not want to do either of these?
It really depends, It would have to be something I am very passionate about (when it comes to volunteering) , I don't really want to work again. I do want to study again someday but I don't know in what.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I spent last 5 year or so talking care of a very sick person. Even though I was needed I felt awful not working. Been at my new job for 9 months and it’s just feels so good to be doing something else.

BigBooper

You definitely have to have an attitude adjustment. I'm disabled, so not retired, but I still have to find ways to fill my days. I guess it's a little different because I often just can't do things I'd want to. It's helpful to get a productive hobby though, even if it's as simple as stock/crypto trading, which is my most productive hobby.

You could also start making those open mouth slack jawed YouTube videos that are all the rage with the kids. "Heyo kiddies! Retired Uncle Mondai here with all cash money tips for getting your favorite boo in Skyrim!"

Last edited:

BigBooper

This will sound lame of me, but I am kinda interested in just streaming someday.
Not lame to a lot of people. There's plenty of "normal people" streaming too. Greg Sewart streams for charities all the time and he's a pretty normal guy.

Mondai

Not lame to a lot of people. There's plenty of "normal people" streaming too. Greg Sewart streams for charities all the time and he's a pretty normal guy.
I just want to stream my gaming sessions , just to chill, don't care if I get big or anything, just as a way to chill and chat with people.

Sleepwalker

I'm under 30 but for most intents and purposes I am "retired", my situation most like is very different from yours, but this is how I deal with most of my free time (which is a lot)

- Gaming of course, sometimes I'll go days without playing and then sometimes I'll play 5-6 hours in a day, it comes and goes, my point is, don't force yourself to game. Only do it when you actually want to.

-Excercise, excercise, excercise, go to the gym, go walking/running, play a sport, maybe join a team, there's plenty of sport alternatives for retired people, depending on your health of course. Excercise is one of the main things that keep those feelings of uselesness and depression away, the better shape is just a bonus on top.

-If you want to study, there's plenty of free courses online for basically any topic, you just try different things until you find something you actually like, youtube is also great for learning DIY stuff.

-Be Social, reach out to people and make an effort to share activities with others, I'm not an introvert but for me its really easy to get lost in my own space for days and be completely isolated, not because I don't want to be around people, I just feel like I can't be arsed. You have to go out of your way to make stuff happen now that you don't have a job that forces you to have social interaction. Humans are social creatures.

-If you have a partner, talk to them, get involved with their hobbies and activities a bit more, maybe you'll find a shared passion and that will make the mundane a ton more fun. My wife picked up videogames cause of me and we have a ton of fun now, currently playing Far Cry 5 and having a blast. In return I've picked up cooking and biking.

Time is a precious resource, now that you have more of it, time to make the best of it. Don't feel bad because you're not "contributing to society" anymore, you've paid your dues, time is your reward, enjoy it.

Also, if you're an animal person don't be afraid to get a pet, having someone/something to care for will take a lot of your time and make you feel responsible towards something, I love my dog and caring for her gives me a ton of satisfaction.

Last edited:

Mondai

I'm under 30 but for most intents and purposes I am "retired", my situation most like is very different from yours, but this is how I deal with most of my free time (which is a lot)

- Gaming of course, sometimes I'll go days without playing and then sometimes I'll play 5-6 hours in a day, it comes and goes, my point is, don't force yourself to game. Only do it when you actually want to.

-Excercise, excercise, excercise, go to the gym, go walking/running, play a sport, maybe join a team, there's plenty of sport alternatives for retired people, depending on your health of course. Excercise is one of the main things that keep those feelings of uselesness and depression away, the better shape is just a bonus on top.

-If you want to study, there's plenty of free courses online for basically any topic, you just try different things until you find something you actually like, youtube is also great for learning DIY stuff.

-Be Social, reach out to people and make an effort to share activities with others, I'm not an introvert but for me its really easy to get lost in my own space for days and be completely isolated, not because I don't want to be around people, I just feel like I can't be arsed. You have to go out of your way to make stuff happen now that you don't have a job that forces you to have social interaction. Humans are social creatures.

-If you have a partner, talk to them, get involved with their hobbies and activities a bit more, maybe you'll find a shared passion and that will make the mundane a ton more fun. My wife picked up videogames cause of me and we have a ton of fun now, currently playing Far Cry 5 and having a blast. In return I've picked up cooking and biking.

Time is a precious resource, now that you have more of it, time to make the best of it. Don't feel bad because you're not "contributing to society" anymore, you've paid your dues, time is your reward, enjoy it.

Also, if you're an animal person don't be afraid to get a pet, having someone/something to care for will take a lot of your time and make you feel responsible towards something, I love my dog and caring for her gives me a ton of satisfaction.
Thank you , great post and yeah I only game when I feel like it . I should take up reading more and collecting stuff as well , so many things I can do that it’s hard to decide sometimes.

I'm under 30 but for most intents and purposes I am "retired",
68535630.jpg

MaestroMike

Gold Member
easiest way to sabotage yourself if you ever retire or hit it rich is thinking that you can just chill all day, relax and do nothing physically demanding. but once you start doing that your endurance/cardio goes to sh!t and your heart becomes weaker and that affects everything else including your mind. you have to keep moving physically and continue social interactions until you die whether you strike it rich or don't need to work anymore. you still have to move and hustle. i didn't make the rules thats just how humans are built

McCheese

I took a year off and it was horrible, felt like waiting for death. I have a ton of hobbies but due to having so much free time my motivation to do any of them just skydived.

I'll never retire

Cattlyst

I exercise to the point that it's probably doing more harm than good. Everything in moderation I guess...but I can't take my own advice so pay no attention to me

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I have so much free time I feel the same. I'm not a manual guy so I don't know what to do as a hobby.

Quasicat

I majored in history education during my undergrad, and met all kinds of retired people through my history classes. They were able to do something called auditing, which allowed them to take the class for free without having to do any of the assignments or receiving a grade. Afterwards, they took a survey asking about what they thought of the class as an observer. I always thought that would be a great way to be active while being retired; Either that or volunteering as a tour guide at a museum. Those are what I’m planning on doing when I retire.

Top Bottom