• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kubev

I just received my OSSC today. I'm in the U.S., and I noticed that the other electronics purchases that I made recently are tied up in customs at the moment, despite them being domestic shipments (unlike the OSSC, which was an international one) from Amazon that originated in Florida. (The items in question are a Fitbit Charge 2 and a Logitech G602 wireless mouse.) My orders that didn't contain electronics arrived as scheduled. Has anyone else had something like this happen? Is it possible that the OSSC was flagged as suspicious in customs and is causing delays with my other shipments?

I just received my OSSC today. I'm in the U.S., and I noticed that the other electronics purchases that I made recently are tied up in customs at the moment, despite them being domestic shipments (unlike the OSSC, which was an international one) from Amazon that originated in Florida. (The items in question are a Fitbit Charge 2 and a Logitech G602 wireless mouse.) My orders that didn't contain electronics arrived as scheduled. Has anyone else had something like this happen? Is it possible that the OSSC was flagged as suspicious in customs and is causing delays with my other shipments?

My OSSC from earlier this year was stuck in customs for over a month, but the newer one made it through and got here in a week. Take that for what you will

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Well, yesterday I woke up and had a free day for the first time in months. So I decided to finally hook up every single system I owned to my setup so that I did not need to keep unhooking/rehooking up my systems. The whole process took me 5+ hours because there was so much stuff and cable management was such a nightmare.

Sounds like a stressful but still awesome day!

My setup is like this:

1. AV Famicom with FDS, Mega Drive with Sega CD and 32x, Master System, Saturn, Snes, N64 with RGB mod, Gamecube with gb player and PS1 hooked up to a 8 input gscart rgb switcher (then my Neo Geo CD and Coregrafx with CD Rom2 are not hooked up)
2. PS2, Wii, Xbox and PSP hooked up to a 4:1 component switcher
3. Dreamcast hooked up with a VGA box directly to a vga input on my tv
4. NES hooked up via composite to the Framemeister
5. The component switch and the rgb switch both go into the Framemeister
6. Wii U, PS3, 360, PS4 and PS TV all go into a hdmi-switch
7. The Framemeister and the hdmi-switch goes to the tv.

So yeah, pretty happy with having all those systems hooked up, but sucks that i still have to switch out rgb scart cables once in a while :(

Kawika

Last night I was comparing my Framemeister to my ossc and I thought I'd try the 720p profiles from Firebrand X and to my surprise I noticed something. In 1080p (via the Framemeister) the audio from my CRT and speakers were just a few milliseconds faster than my 4K but in 720p the music was in sync. The input lag added from the Framemeister was reduced. So either my TV or the Framemeister is processing the image faster than it does in 1080p.

The OSSC is in sync via 5x but it doesnt like to do 3x on snes but it will do 5x fine. I honestly can't tell the difference in input lag between 5x ossc and 720p Framemeister. When I did the 240p test suite manual input lag test the results were exactly the same. Pretty weird.

Rirse

Neo Member
Must just be something with line triple mode. I remember the My Life in Gaming video talking about SNES being glitchy at the time of release. Still waiting on my OSSC next month to see how it runs here.

Peltz

Damn... those speakers I wanted to buy don't appear to be magnetically shielded.

I guess that makes them a no-go for someone with a bunch of CRTs in the same room? How far away do they need to be for my CRTs not to be damaged?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Damn... those speakers I wanted to buy don't appear to be magnetically shielded.

I guess that makes them a no-go for someone with a bunch of CRTs in the same room? How far away do they need to be for my CRTs not to be damaged?

I wouldn't be too terribly concerned about it, honestly. I've never had an issue, placing speakers maybe 3 feet or so away from a CRT. And I can't imagine doing any kind of permanent damage even if you did have speakers right up against the CRT -- you'll get some warped colors while there's interference, but that's about it.

Kawika

What speakers were they? I would be more afraid of the speakers causing interference with the scart cables. I have some PC speakers I use and I keep them about 2-3 inches from the CRT. I am not a fan of having them this close but they are shielded and they are super small. If you are using large floor speakers keep them away from your cabling. Electro-Magnetic Interference can affect all electronics.

I am of the opinion, don't have big speakers or unshielded speakers near your crt or cables.

Danny Dudekisser

What speakers were they? I would be more afraid of the speakers causing interference with the scart cables. I have some PC speakers I use and I keep them about 2-3 inches from the CRT. I am not a fan of having them this close but they are shielded and they are super small. If you are using large floor speakers keep them away from your cabling. Electro-Magnetic Interference can affect all electronics.

I am of the opinion, don't have big speakers or unshielded speakers near your crt or cables.

He was going with bookshelf speakers, as I recall.

Peltz

Yep. Hsu CCB-8 speakers. I just emailed the sales team over there and they confirmed my fears - no shielding on their speakers and subs. :-(

I'm not going to risk it. The default place where they sit will be pretty close to my CRTs.

Looks like I'll be limiting my search to speakers that are shielded. I'm not sure how I almost overlooked that. I thought all speakers were shielded but I guess times have changed.

Danny Dudekisser

Yep. Hsu CCB-8 speakers. I just emailed the sales team over there and they confirmed my fears - no shielding on their speakers and subs. :-(

I'm not going to risk it. The default place where they sit will be pretty close to my CRTs.

Looks like I'll be limiting my search to speakers that are shielded. I'm not sure how I almost overlooked that. I thought all speakers were shielded but I guess times have changed.

What's your budget, and are you looking at a 5.1 or... what's the deal?

Peltz

Including receiver, or is that just speakers and sub?

I'm holding off on upgrading my receiver for now. I have a Denon AVR-591 I'll be sticking with for the next year or two until I decide to upgrade to 4k OLED.

personally, i get some high end professional studio monitors.

I definitely want to go the consumer route on these. Studio monitors don't disperse sound in the room in quite the same way. They're much too flat.

I'll be listening to a lot of jazz on whatever I end up getting so something that isn't overly bright would be appreciated. Rolled off highs are fine.

Danny Dudekisser

I'm holding off on upgrading my receiver for now. I have a Denon AVR-591 I'll be sticking with for the next year or two until I decide to upgrade to 4k OLED.

I definitely want to go the consumer route on these. Studio monitors don't disperse sound in the room in quite the same way. They're much too flat.

I'll be listening to a lot of jazz on whatever I end up getting so something that isn't overly bright would be appreciated. Rolled off highs are fine.

Alright, for the sub, I'd recommend: http://rythmikaudio.com/F12.html

I've got two subs from these guys: the F12SE (which is this one, but in piano black), and an F15HP. They're both fucking fantastic -- super clean sound and impressive output, particularly in light of them being sealed subs. Both are also relatively compact.

As far as speakers, I think a good bet would be the Monitor Audio Bronze 2: http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/products/bronze/bronze-2. The front and rear speakers would be $500 a pair, and the center is like... $300. I know that the Bronze speakers were magnetically shielded in the past, but I'd double check with them just to make sure that's still the case, as the Bonze 2 is a new model. My friend has the Bronze BX2s, and they sounded quite good.

That is my analysis.

Peltz

Alright, for the sub, I'd recommend: http://rythmikaudio.com/F12.html

I've got two subs from these guys: the F12SE (which is this one, but in piano black), and an F15HP. They're both fucking fantastic -- super clean sound and impressive output, particularly in light of them being sealed subs. Both are also relatively compact.

As far as speakers, I think a good bet would be the Monitor Audio Bronze 2: http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/products/bronze/bronze-2. The front and rear speakers would be $500 a pair, and the center is like... $300. I know that the Bronze speakers were magnetically shielded in the past, but I'd double check with them just to make sure that's still the case, as the Bonze 2 is a new model. My friend has the Bronze BX2s, and they sounded quite good.

That is my analysis.

Thanks! I will have a look.

Oh hell yeah. I have an ultrasound scheduled on 10/10 to check out a lesion on my liver. They called me today to ask if I could move it to this week. They are about to change all their stuff to digital and it won't be ready by 10/10. When I had my last one, I noticed they did their ultrasounds on a PVM monitor. I asked them what they were going to do with it and they said, "Probably just throw it out. We don't have a need for it anymore."

They aren't throwing it out now.

We had ultrasounds done for my baby at 3 different places and they were all using (I assume significantly more expensive medical grade) PC monitors. I was somewhat disappointed.

Rirse

Neo Member
I bought at Disc Replay a old Xbox to finally finish my retro console collection. Getting it ready for soft modding, but need to get a hard-drive to upgrade. What a good one to get that can be used with the system on Amazon, as the one I was going to order (which worked great on the PS2 Fat) is said to be a bad choice for the Xbox.

Peltz

We had ultrasounds done for my baby at 3 different places and they were all using (I assume significantly more expensive medical grade) PC monitors. I was somewhat disappointed.
All of the hospitals I've been to over the past 2-3 years are already off CRT tech as far as I can tell.

Peltz

Dang, I just noticed a color discoloration on my PVM I got last month. It hard to see, but it up there in the Ring counter in the picture.

https://i.imgur.com/4DEQ6Kq.jpg

It not as noticeable ingame, but on the title screen it very noticeable.

https://i.imgur.com/Zve5wid.jpg

A shame to see, as one of my previous tvs got replaced after this started to happen. Hate to had bought a PVM only for it to slowly go bad.

I think this post is what made me check to see whether the speakers I wanted had the shielding lol.

Are there any magnets/speakers near your PVM?

You can likely fix it with a more powerful degausser than the one built in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyQjFrjz6xg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOyKuQf36TI

Rirse

Neo Member
I bought at Disc Replay a old Xbox to finally finish my retro console collection. Getting it ready for soft modding, but need to get a hard-drive to upgrade. What a good one to get that can be used with the system on Amazon, as the one I was going to order (which worked great on the PS2 Fat) is said to be a bad choice for the Xbox.

You'll probably want this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002F8578/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If the HDD says "Quickview" on it, it won't work with the xbox. Make sure you follow a guide to install the drive, it's a bit more complicated than PS2.

I used this one in my Xbox and it's worked well for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SJVKJ5I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

yeah, i hear you. when are you coming over? maybe you can check out my audio equipment before making a decision.

What is the best way to move a giant Trinitron 32" model down a flight of stairs? I picked it up at a thrift store that loaded it in my hatchback. I don't even know how to get it out.

Rirse

Neo Member
Ugh, looks like I need to get a degassing tool, as the method described to leave it unplug didn't work and seem to made it worst. Kinda regretting buying this thing now.

bodine1231

Ugh, looks like I need to get a degassing tool, as the method described to leave it unplug didn't work and seem to made it worst. Kinda regretting buying this thing now.

Just buy a drill that plugs into the wall. Costs about the same and you can actually use it around the house. Works just as good.

What is the best way to move a giant Trinitron 32" model down a flight of stairs? I picked it up at a thrift store that loaded it in my hatchback. I don't even know how to get it out.

Are the stairs carpet? If they are you can slide it down while you brace it from the back side and slowly slide it down. Almost like your carrying it backwards down the stairs.

Caution: this only works if you weigh more then the tv!

Peltz

Like a regular power drill? My dad still has one if that the case, but what would I need to go with it?

Watch the videos I linked here:

I think this post is what made me check to see whether the speakers I wanted had the shielding lol.

Are there any magnets/speakers near your PVM?

You can likely fix it with a more powerful degausser than the one built in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyQjFrjz6xg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOyKuQf36TI

It could not be easier. You need a drill + a magnet + some strong adhesive tape. Remember to start close and go in a circle while spinning the drill while slowly backing the magnet away from the screen. Waiving the drill in a circle while it's drilling will help create a uniform image.

It may take a few tries to get the picture just right, but there's a 99% chance it will do the trick. Going forward, I wouldn't keep my CRT near a subwoofer. Subs are usually not magnetically shielded.

You don't get a CRT down the stairs, instead you pick a plot of land and build your home's foundation around the CRT.

In all seriousness though, borrow a loading cart:
Like this

SDL-A1217.jpg

or this:

6495345_orig.jpg

Strap in the CRT securely then get borrow loading ramp like this:

scooter_ramp__4.jpg

Chances are, you can rent these from a local moving company. I think Home Depot offers a rental service as well.

I wouldn't pick it up at 32" CRT if you can avoid it. Even if you're in great shape, that puts pressure in places on your body where you don't need it. And it's an uncivilized way of brute forcing something that there are tools to handle.

Kawika

Are the stairs carpet? If they are you can slide it down while you brace it from the back side and slowly slide it down. Almost like your carrying it backwards down the stairs.

Caution: this only works if you weigh more then the tv!

That is crazy, some of those tvs can outweigh an adult human male. I mean genetics play a part, but no wonder no one I knew ever had a tv bigger than 36" (unless it was one of those projection tvs).

Someone mentioned the 6th generation looking great on 1080i hdtvs. I happen to have one from 2003-2007ish Before Samsung started chipping away at Sony's dominance. Anyway, I tested some pass through modes and 240p and 480p look really really good for a LCD. I think i am going to have to keep this tv as a back up if my 20L5 ever fails I have a good screen for my 480p games.

Its really funny, I remember wondering why PS2, GC, Wii and XBOX looked like shit on some of my newer tvs but I thought the Wii (and gen 6) looked fine on that old Sony LCD of mine. I thought it was because I was more picky now, but nope. My old Sony HDTV was just really good at processing 480p content. Makes sense as there practically no hd channels via cable at the time I purchased it. Also that hdtv weighs as much as a small pvm. (40-50 lb range) where a modern tv of the same size weighs maybe 10-15 lbs.

Peltz

That is crazy, some of those tvs can outweigh an adult human male. I mean genetics play a part, but no wonder no one I knew ever had a tv bigger than 36" (unless it was one of those projection tvs).

Someone mentioned the 6th generation looking great on 1080i hdtvs. I happen to have one from 2003-2007ish Before Samsung started chipping away at Sony's dominance. Anyway, I tested some pass through modes and 240p and 480p look really really good for a LCD. I think i am going to have to keep this tv as a back up if my 20L5 ever fails I have a good screen for my 480p games.

Its really funny, I remember wondering why PS2, GC, Wii and XBOX looked like shit on some of my newer tvs but I thought the Wii (and gen 6) looked fine on that old Sony LCD of mine. I thought it was because I was more picky now, but nope. My old Sony HDTV was just really good at processing 480p content. Makes sense as there practically no hd channels via cable at the time I purchased it. Also that hdtv weighs as much as a small pvm. (40-50 lb range) where a modern tv of the same size weighs maybe 10-15 lbs.

My old Panasonic Plasma from 2011 did a great job at upscaling 480p content too. It was far better than my current Sony KDL.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Seeing people trying to move heavy CRTs makes me happy my dad has a 2-wheel dolly with a fold out extension for moving bigger items. Only time I need help is getting it off the floor and onto the stand.

That's why I put the disclaimer!

Seeing people trying to move heavy CRTs makes me happy my dad has a 2-wheel dolly with a fold out extension for moving bigger items. Only time I need help is getting it off the floor and onto the stand.

If the TV weighs more then you it's going to tip forward while going down the stairs and you're going over with it!

Years ago 2 co workes and I were bringing a ~400lb motor down 11 flights of stairs and we had 2 of us on the bottom(custom dolly, it has handles) and the small guy on top to steady it while we bumped it down the stairs. At one point the dolly tipped too far forward and the guy on top flew right over the dolly and into our arms! We couldn't stop laughing! Fortunately no one was hurt.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
If the TV weighs more then you it's going to tip forward while going down the stairs and you're going over with it!

Years ago 2 co workes and I were bringing a ~400lb motor down 11 flights of stairs and we had 2 of us on the bottom(custom dolly, it has handles) and the small guy on top to steady it while we bumped it down the stairs. At one point the dolly tipped too far forward and the guy on top flew right over the dolly and into our arms! We couldn't stop laughing! Fortunately no one was hurt.
I moved a fridge by myself down a flight of stairs with this thing, it's not hard if you're not a moron.

I moved a fridge by myself down a flight of stairs with this thing, it's not hard if you're not a moron.

A fridge has better weight distribution then a TV. All the weight will be at the bottom of the dolly with a TV causing alot of leverage.

I fully agree with you though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom