• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal for Dummies

SteadyEvo

Want something challenging and engaging I booted this up. But what the hell is going on?

My weapon has a secondary function that constantly jams. When can I use this shit??? Im getting killed looking for it to fire. I see a R2 timer but clearly my timing sucks or I’m clueless.

Why can’t I keep my guns after I die?

And what’s with all this damn currency?! Too much to keep up with

Fun game to run around shooting and exploring but I need clarity

Help a brother out

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Another Returnal rant, ahah. Don't worry brother, I've been there too.

The initial struggle with this game might be off the chart but don't give up. Game is fucking awesome.

It's a game that doesn't hold your hand and legit makes you to learn how to tackle it.

Basically the R2 timing is for your reload to work faster, and it's a key mechanic that you'll need to master. Takes a few tries.

You don't keep your weapons because this game works through cycles. Each time you die, a new cycle begins and you're stripped away from your weapons, only key items obtained along the way remain with you.

Might contain brief spoilers but in case you need:

Like I said, don't give up on the game. It's super fun once you master the basics.

Last edited:
Want something challenging and engaging I booted this up. But what the hell is going on?

My weapon has a secondary function that constantly jams. When can I use this shit??? Im getting killed looking for it to fire. I see a R2 timer but clearly my timing sucks or I’m clueless.

Help a brother out

1 - Returnal is a roguelike game with bullet hell.

2 - Yes your timing sucks, you have to properly time it or you get jammed.

3 - Because this is a rogue-like, you do not keep weapons when you die. However, what you do keep are characters upgrades that are permanent and can persist through death. Basically, the longer you stay alive and the more shit you find, you'll keep coming back more and more powerful each time you die and have a better chance at surviving and getting further along in the game. But the weapons and stuff is RNG.

4 - One of them I think is used to buy items at the in-game shops that can benefit your character. I forgot what the other ones do.

SteadyEvo

Explain the R2 timing

Press as it enters the center?

And what is Adrenaline and why does it matter? How do I use it?

Last edited:

Pelta88

When OP hasn't experienced Biome 3 yet

a7b9eca631101d2561401a61afa6e2df.gif

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Another Returnal rant, ahah. Don't worry brother, I've been there too.

The initial struggle with this game might be off the chart but don't give up. Game is fucking awesome.

It's a game that doesn't hold your hand and legit makes you to learn how to tackle it.

Basically the R2 timing is for your reload to work faster, and it's a key mechanic that you'll need to master. Takes a few tries.

You don't keep your weapons because this game works through cycles. Each time you die, a new cycle begins and you're stripped away from your weapons, only key items obtained along the way remain with you.

Might contain brief spoilers but in case you need:

Like I said, don't give up on the game. It's super fun once you master the basics.

No it’s not, the game has a fucking mediocre item system that was broken at launch,
the balance was fucked making the game easier by not picking up items.

Do play hades instead this game is overhyped and at best a 7

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
And what is Adrenaline and why does it matter? How do I use it?
Your Adrenaline level is raised for every 3 hostiles you eliminate up to a maximum of level of 5. Upon taking any damage, however, your Adrenaline level is reset.

Each level provides a unique effect which stacks with each other.

Level 1 — Enhanced Overload makes it easier to perform the powered-up reload by enlarging the target area.

Level 2 — Enhanced Vision allows you to see enemies through objects (as represented by a red, pulsating wave).

Level 3 — Enhanced Melee Attack reduces your melee cooldown time.

Level 4 — Proficiency Rate +50% increases the rate you gain proficiency with your equipped weapon.

Level 5 — Obolites +50% increases the number of obolites you receive from defeating enemies.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

No it’s not, the game has a fucking mediocre item system that was broken at launch,
Highly over exaggerated statement and superficial.

Malignancy is a thing in the game and it's not always bad. If you opt in for the gamble you can get insanely overpowered by the end of biome two. And most of the malfunctions can be erased quite easily. Yes, it can ruin a run early on but every third run it will elevate you.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member

Do play hades instead this game is overhyped and at best a 7

Mediocre? Someone died a lot in the game.

Both games are awesome man. Don't try to trash talk one just because you like one more than the another.

smh GIF

Del_X

My experience was getting to the first boss, dying, getting back to it, dying again and uninstalling the game. Thanks PS Extra.

Last edited:

Del_X

Returnal is not for this new generation of gamers. Only those graduated from the school of "Get Good." If you aint cut from that gaming cloth... It's probably best to go find one of those service games.
I played through Ninja Gaiden Black on Master Ninja. Restarting and having shit item management for the sake of it isn't really good game design - it's stretching the same design themes that should last 4-8 hours over 20-30.

I played through Ninja Gaiden Black on Master Ninja. Restarting and having shit item management for the sake of it isn't really good game design - it's stretching the same design themes that should last 4-8 hours over 20-30.
thanks for succinctly confirming something i've suspected about this game...

SteadyEvo

My experience was getting to the first boss, dying, getting back to it, dying again and uninstalling the game. Thanks PS Extra.
No shame in that man. I’m kinda expecting that.

Got inspired to play this after replaying Resogun. Love that game. A platinum trophy I’d love to get one day.

Fbh

It's a bit confusing at first but keep playing (or just look up stuff online) and you'll realize it's not that complex.

- It's a roguelite so yeah when you die it restarts, but there's a few permanent upgrades you eventually get which make traversal and exploration through earlier areas much easier.
- Also you don't have to fight bosses again once you beat them. They still respawn when you die but you don't have to kill them again to progress the story
- There's mainly 2 types of currencies, one disappears when you die, the other you keep around and can be used to unlock new items (or do certain stuff in the world)
- The active reaload works sort of like gears of war. I don't know seemed obvious to me but look up a video. Each weapon also has an alternate firemode which is on a cooldown. The alternate fire mode isn't weapon specific so you can find two version of the same weapon with a different alternate fire mode

Hades is an amazing rougelike. Returnal isnt.

But Returnal's combat is amazing. OP, just keep at it. Game's systems will start to make sense the more you play. no point explaining them tbh. the game isnt even that complicated.

Agreed. I enjoyed Returnal, it has really fun combat, awesome particle effects and solid art direction.
But as a Rogulite Hades was much better IMO. The upgrades you get each run feel more transformative, the permanent upgrades are better and it also gives you more control over the type of upgrade you'll be getting in the next room, making it easier to actually create build and aim for specific synergies.

Returnal felt a bit random, you depend way more on the RNG. It's like "use one of these rare keys to open this door where you might get a passive upgrade that might be useful to you". Also the upgrades can be nice but they aren't as big and transformative as they are in hades so even with different builds the game ended up feeling a bit more samey.

Beechos

I didnt realize this till later in the game but you can dash through blue and red projectiles/hazards and suffer no damage. Game is the best ps5 game hands down. I was finally able to beat the game without dying. It gets easier the more you play.

Trogdor1123

I didnt realize this till later in the game but you can dash through blue and red projectiles/hazards and suffer no damage. Game is the best ps5 game hands down. I was finally able to beat the game without dying. It gets easier the more you play.
What?! You can? I’ve been playing it all wrong

Beechos

If you ever played gears of war its like a "perfect reload" press r2 during that window for a quicker reload and some bonus perks. The downside is if you miss reloading takes longer. You will be given a bigger reload window when you have a higher adrenaline lvl.

Why can’t I keep my guns after I die? Its what you consider a rougelike game. You die all your weapons, items, powers ups are all gone. There are a few abilities and items like ether that stay with you forever.

And what’s with all this damn currency?!
Theres only 2 forms of currency obolites you use to buy items and power ups with and ether that you can use to use/open maglinant items and not have the negative effects affect you.

Help a brother out

kyliethicc

Alt fire is a fire once special attack, then it has a cooldown. You can see the cooldown timer on the HUD, and there's a sound effect when its ready to use again. The reticle also flashes when ready too.

Rouge lite. Each run you start fresh, mostly. Like an arcade game.

Theres 2 currencies. Obolites are the main one. Kill enemy, they drop money, proximity pick up.

Lose em when ya die, spend em in the run on upgrades. (Kinda like souls.)

Ether is the permanent currency you use for other things, don't worry about it initially.

What?! You can? I’ve been playing it all wrong
That's the entire point of a bullet hell. You get iframes when you dash.

Game looks great but no way I’m spending $70.
Its worth every cent. Insanely fun game, beautiful haunting world, cool intriguing story, incredible sound and music, endless replay value. Great controls, feels so good to play, and is easily the best PS5 game.

Last edited:

Macattk15

Man, I don't claim to be a professional gamer or anything, but how are some people so clueless when playing games? Sure Returnal doesn't tell you everything, but the concepts such as reloading in the shaded portion of a bar is not something that takes MENSA level IQ.

Naru

Currently on Biome 5 but I don't really like it that much especially the Rogue-Like mechanics. The "tower thing" is more interesting and way more fun for me, because I hate that you spend almost more time looking for items in a room and platforming than actually fighting enemies.

Chukhopops

Currently on Biome 5 but I don't really like it that much especially the Rogue-Like mechanics. The "tower thing" is more interesting and way more fun for me, because I hate that you spend almost more time looking for items in a room and platforming than actually fighting enemies.
I think the issue is that it lacks variation between runs so it becomes repetitive too quickly.

A good roguelike is a roguelike where every run feels like a different, unique challenge which isn’t the case there.

I’m not great at this game but I al
Enjoying it a lot. I’m still in biome 1. How do I work towards the upgrades that *are* permanent? I know most aren’t, but some are and I’d like to get as many buffs as I can before I meaningfully attempt the first boss again.

Con-Z-epT

How do I work towards the upgrades that *are* permanent? I know most aren’t, but some are and I’d like to get as many buffs as I can before I meaningfully attempt the first boss again.
Spend your Ether at the monolith in the beginning of the run. What ever you unlock there will be added permanently to your run. However, the appearance is still random.

Weapon traits and trait upgrade percentage are also permanent. You can see the percentage in the stats screen of each weapon.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Help a brother out

erm, I don't know what to really say...we need tommib in here pronto.

It's not that hard op, just keep playing and it will hopefully click.

tommib

Everything has been said already. :D

The biggest tip I can think of is dash forward and melee and not backwards like a little bitch. It’s also an attitude. Try to be the badass entering the rooms. Switch always run on. Platform running will be weird for awhile with always run on but you’ll get used to it. Shoot from the hip and forget about L2 focus aim. You should never focus aim. It’s useless.

You lose the weapons but the more you use the same weapon you unlock weapon traits that will help you further down. A lot. So there’s always some progression going on.

Only get the green health items after killing all enemies in a room. Better yet. Save all health items in a world before entering a boss fight. You want to stack health items so that it maximizes your health capacity. Dash a lot and keep running. Don’t stand still. Strafe and circle-strafe. Think of it as Quake in nightmare mode.

Low health regenerator parasites are useful for beginners. Now go and kick some ass.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
3 - Because this is a rogue-like, you do not keep weapons when you die. However, what you do keep are characters upgrades that are permanent and can persist through death. Basically, the longer you stay alive and the more shit you find, you'll keep coming back more and more powerful each time you die and have a better chance at surviving and getting further along in the game. But the weapons and stuff is RNG.
Not true. Weapons are upgraded the more you use them. Don't let this guy manipulate you, SteadyEvo SteadyEvo !!!
/s

Top Bottom