• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal for Dummies

kyliethicc

my recommended control scheme changes are:

L1 = sprint (and change sprint to hold, not toggle)
R1 = melee
Square = use item
Down = area scan

lets you avoid using L3 and R3

and use the adaptive trigger for alt fire of course (its on by default)

Last edited:
Spend your Ether at the monolith in the beginning of the run. What ever you unlock there will be added permanently to your run. However, the appearance is still random.

Weapon traits and trait upgrade percentage are also permanent. You can see the percentage in the stats screen of each weapon.
And I get the last ones just by using the weapons repeatedly? I’ve been using the carbine out of preference but can’t say I’ve noticed any increases or unlocks.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
And I get the last ones just by using the weapons repeatedly?
Exactly!
I’ve been using the carbine out of preference but can’t say I’ve noticed any increases or unlocks.
You can only level up a trait if the weapon has one. You can see this in the statistics, when you change your weapon and start to compare the two weapons.

One weapon can inherent different weapon traits. Sometimes you start to level up one of those and change you weapon mid run. The same weapon type with the same trait might not appear again for the next run. You never know. Maybe you get a different one for the same weapon that can also be upgraded. It takes a lot of time to max out all the traits for all the weapons but the first levels come quite fast and make the weapon a lot stronger.

Melee is an upgrade you aquire. You dont have it by default. Just play the game dude, stop reading advices. Its meant to be played and experienced blindly, its meant to make you better and better. The more you read advices and what to do the more you'll feel less likely to enjoy it. Part of a roguelike is getting good.

Frustrated Headache GIF by Kelly Clarkson

Lunarorbit

Games fun and kinetic. Got to the second biome and my enthusiasm ran out of gas. Luckily I can borrow it for free so I'll try it again eventually

Amiga

.But what the hell is going on?

- forget about game design convention we got used to. dying is normal and part of the story and progression(hence the name, Returnal), it's supposed to happen a lot. you will find new chambers and story elements in repeats. use the save scum tick if you need to. but don't overdue it
- shooting is very easy, what needs focus is mobility, constant attack and retreat using the whole room. have a policy of zero damage received. it's easy to avoid all damage in most rooms. this will make green pickups increase integrity at a higher rate, and maintain your high adrenalin.
- focus your early runs on unlocking weapon traits and artifacts. they are very important progression that make a big difference. a single trait can double your DPS.
- early runs are slow as you get to know the areas, but later runs will be 10-20 minutes per biome.
- melee is OP in the 1st biome. main method of clearing the tentacle dogs. jump/dash in, hit, jump/dash out. this also insta-staggers the tree enemies.
- if low on health, stay close to the doors to safely clear the enemies peekaboo style.
- you can also wait behind the door for the alt-fire cooldown.
- to stop lockdowns, stay at the door threshold. you also can lure the mini-boss o another room for a 1-on-1 fight.

SteadyEvo

Is the secondary recharge/reload like Gears where I tap R2? Or press and hold. This game should’ve come with a physical instruction manual.

Edit: Answering above, no. Guess that’s something I need to find?

Last edited:
Yea there’s too much games stuff like orbs, currency, mechanics that aren’t implemented In A way where you learn it organically. I got to the 2nd section and put it down because it just wasn’t grabbing me. But I’m glad those who love it do

Roxkis_ii

Op, you just have to learn the game. Pay attention to how enemies attack and the best ways to defeat them. Find which guns you like and don't like (the shotgun sucks in this game).

If you like a type of gun, you don't necessarily have to pick a higher level gun of another type if you don't like it.

The First level boss is probably one of the harder bosses in the game, so don't feel bad if you get stuck on him.

If you enjoy your time, grind it out; If you don't, it's cool to let it go.

Not true. Weapons are upgraded the more you use them. Don't let this guy manipulate you, SteadyEvo SteadyEvo !!!
/s

Then my memory has failed me I forgot about perma traits, but I am pretty positive you respawn with your base weapon when you die and you have to get lucky again with getting the weapon itself. That is what I was referring too specifically about weapons.

Last edited:
Returnal is the most addicting game I have ever played in my life. Be grateful you are at this point in time where you still have yet to experience what makes this game so amazing. I wish I could go back in time and and rediscover everything again for the first time. My advice? Don’t look anything up. Figure things out on your own. The more hours you get out of this game, the better.

I actually wish it were harder. I feel like I finished it too quick. Some runs, you just get lucky and get upgrades that replenish health automatically and you feel invincible. Like adrenaline leech for example.

Yea there’s too much games stuff like orbs, currency, mechanics that aren’t implemented In A way where you learn it organically. I got to the 2nd section and put it down because it just wasn’t grabbing me. But I’m glad those who love it do

I put it down a dozen times or so and would never have came back to it if my friend didn’t keep harping on how amazing it was. I’m glad he did because if he didn’t, I never would have gave it the time it deserves until it clicked.

Game of the generation.

Last edited:

Beechos

Best tips i can give in this game is keep constantly moving. You stop moving you are dead just like in doom and doom eternal.

The dash can be used to avoid projectiles/hazards or to go through them with no damage.

Save your ether when you are low on health to clense malignant items to heal you with no repercussions.

The hallowseeker and dreadnought are by far the best guns in the game. The hallowseeker i believe you get in biome 2.

If you find a good gun you like dont open more weapon chests right away gain a proficiency lvl or 2 and then go back and open then.

There are plenty of areas you wont be able to access on your 1st run.

Amiga

This is what turns me off from rogue lites. I play to relax, not possible with this genre.
This is to maximize loot and buffs, it's not necessary to progress. and you only need to focus on the initial encounter then relax after you clear the room.

I put it down a dozen times or so and would never have came back to it if my friend didn’t keep harping on how amazing it was. I’m glad he did because if he didn’t, I never would have gave it the time it deserves until it clicked.

Game of the generation.
I'm deff going to complete it at some point. I can't wait for it to click.

skit_data

I had a pretty small TV before so I adjusted some HUD elements like increasing the size of the crosshair and Overload bar to be more visible, that helped me a lot. Also try adjusting the deadzone on the sticks, might help with aiming and movement.

It takes a while getting used to all weapons and their traits and to get a good feel for how long the alt fire recharges (it also varies as you pick up some types of upgrades).

Oh, and the most important one:
-Remap the dash button to something like R1. It feels wierd at first but by doing so you minimize the time spent keeping your thumb off the right analog stick and by doing so allows you to aim much more freely and accurately. I went with Dash on R1 and consumables on L1. Works way better than the default controller settings IMO, at least when you get used to it.

Edit: Might add that I very rarely use the Alt fire, they tend to be pretty lackluster unless you face a specific type of situation (many weak enemies makes Shockstream pretty good but when facing an Elite enemy its almost always better to just aim and shoot it with the primary fire).

Returnal has a pretty steep learning curve but once you get the hang of it it’s extremely rewarding. You’ll go from being scared shitless when you see that all doors lock when a Elite enemy spawns to become the biggest baddest mofu in the room.
QPIhKWz.gif

Edit 2: Practice you Overload skills (the bar that shows up when your clip is empty). Once it becomes second nature it will greatly boost your combat abilities on almost every front. Take some time to get the timing right and to make it more of a reflex. It’s easiest to do this with the starting pistol. Not taking damage is also greatly rewarded and allows you to snowball through Biomes with ease, but it takes many hours to know all the ins and outs of all enemies, the biomes and their rooms.

Last edited:

SteadyEvo

Melee is an upgrade you aquire. You dont have it by default. Just play the game dude, stop reading advices. Its meant to be played and experienced blindly, its meant to make you better and better. The more you read advices and what to do the more you'll feel less likely to enjoy it. Part of a roguelike is getting good.

Frustrated Headache GIF by Kelly Clarkson
Part of the game is for developers to clearly provide information. Maybe they did but imo it could’ve been done better.

Part of the game is for developers to clearly provide information.

I'll assume you're either new to gaming in general or you have not played a lot of games. No, there are a smaller amount of games where obscurity is part of the charm. Returnal is that type of game. Tunic is another type of game similar but in a different genre. Dark Souls games are part of that obscurity as well. Its designed to be hard, it's designed for you to discover gameplay mechanics. Thats HOW ALL games should be. Thats how all games were many years ago in the golden age of gaming. Now everything is holding your hand. No, being an old man or not having time is not an excuse because every time someone mentions hard games, they bring that stupid shit up.

tl;dr git gud, or dont play hard games. stick to casual stuff, nothing wrong with that, not all games have to cater to average gamers.

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
My experience was getting to the first boss, dying, getting back to it, dying again and uninstalling the game. Thanks PS Extra.
Exactly my experience. I like the game, but progression is very light so I don't feel any progress and it gets tiresome.

Exactly my experience. I like the game, but progression is very light so I don't feel any progress and it gets tiresome.
That's my main complaint about the game so far. If there was a bit more progression the game would have being perfect.

Also the fact that we start with the same shitty gun each tries is a big downside for me. And finally the randomness of the loot can be really frustrating in some runs, like, it's sometimes better to simply die on purpose to have better loot from the beginning and build a better try from that.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I played it and the repetitive nature bored me to tears. This is not a game for people with ADHD.

Top Bottom