• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal nominated for outstanding real-time VFX @VFXSociety

tommib

List of nominees:

Outstanding Visual Effects in a Real-Time Project

BATTLEFIELD 2042
Anders Egleus
Jeremy Chubb
Gray Horsfield
Sean Ellis

CALL OF DUTY: VANGUARD
Yi-chao Sandy Lin-Chiang
Joseph Knox
Gareth Richards
Shane Daley

FORZA HORIZON 5
Don Arceta
Valentyn Minytskyi
Conar Cross
George Ilenei

RATCHET & CLANK: RIFT APART
Grant Hollis
Yancy Young
Steven Russell
Sean Applegate

RETURNAL; Playstation 5
Harry Krueger
Tony Salkovuo
Risto Jankkila
Sharman Jagadeesan

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
What a game! I hope they win it to be honest. Yes, ratchet looks incredible but returnal is doing some insane looking stuff with particles etc that I feel they deserve to be rewarded for.

if it doesn’t win, those of us that have played it and love it will continue to harp on about how effing good it is. Deserved to be on more game of the year short lists because it absolutely was goty material.

Last edited:

iHaunter

Nice to see two Xbox first party games nominated: Call of Duty Vanguard and Forza Horizon 5.
Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Actually a good GAF Joke.

zeorhymer

What's the criteria? Shiny explosions? Reflections? Transparent luminosity? I'd say Forza is top, but it's boring compared to the other games on the list.

Roxkis_ii

I'm not sure what considered for this award, but it looks like Returnal is doing some next level stuff, so I pick that game to win.

ButchCat

I know that it was on sale during the holiday but I still can't believe how almost a year later and the physical release is still 60ish pounds. Unacceptable Sony.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
It has a nice particle system,particle density and the fog effect is nice but the environment, lighting and chracter model is straight outta last gen.

However other games dont look any better.

Hmm from that list Returnal is clear winner.
Why is Forza Horizon 5 even there? I love the game and it looks great sure l, but it's just dirt and rain and sandstorm? I am sorry Battlefield 2042 belongs in the shit tier nomination.

Ratchet and Clank and Returnal is fine.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
What an achievement, the owners of Destiny have such talent in finding partners to work with

Jack Black Smile GIF

RATCHET & CLANK: RIFT APART
-Yancy Young
Waaaaaait....Yancy is actually a real name then ? A real planet Earth name? :pie_thinking:

Also, yes, Returnal really should win all of the awards. ALL OF THEM!!! I'm still amazed just how much they were able to do with particles and not just in the traditional particle...y (real word) way. I'm also still pretty amazed by the entire Yancy thing, not that I have any feelings about that particular name, I'm just shocked!!

Hugare

My input does nothing to advance this thread but this is one of those games that I read about and watch videos of and know it’s totally my shit.

I’ll get a PS5 one day.

horses-pets.gif

Maybe one day PS5. Maybe one day…
Your day will come, my friend

I dont even enjoy rogue likes, and its my GOTY. By far.

Listening to its soundtrack as I type this

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Top Bottom