• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risk of big earthquake on San Andreas fault rises after quake swarm at Salton Sea

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-earthquake-swarm-20160930-snap-story.html

I posted a quick link to this in another thread, but maybe it deserves one of its own.

According to the U.S. Geological Survey, for the seven-day period following Tuesday, the chances of a magnitude-7 or greater earthquake being triggered on the southern San Andreas fault are as high as 1 in 100 and as low as 1 in 3,000. The chances diminish over time.

Experts said it’s important to understand that the chance of the swarm triggering a big one, while small, was real.

“This is close enough to be in that worry zone,” seismologist Lucy Jones said of the location of the earthquake swarm. “It’s a part of California that the seismologists all watch.”
“When there’s significant seismicity in this area of the fault, we kind of wonder if it is somehow going to go active,” said Caltech seismologist Egill Hauksson. “So maybe one of those small earthquakes that’s happening in the neighborhood of the fault is going to trigger it, and set off the big event.”

And that could set the first domino off on the San Andreas fault, unzipping the fault from Imperial County through Los Angeles County, spreading devastating shaking waves throughout the southern half of California in a monster 7.8 earthquake.
Los Angeles could feel shaking for a minute — a lifetime compared with the seven seconds felt during the 1994 Northridge earthquake. Shaking waves reach as far as Bakersfield, Oxnard and Santa Barbara. About 1,600 fires spread across Southern California. And powerful aftershocks larger than magnitude 7 pulverize the region, sending shaking into San Diego County and into the San Gabriel Valley.

The Shakeout simulation says it’s possible that hundreds of brick and concrete buildings could fall, and even a few fairly new high-rise steel buildings. The death toll could climb to 1,800 people, and such an earthquake could cause 50,000 injuries and $200 billion in damage.
Stay safe, SoCal GAF!

Bread

Banned
so scary, i feel safe down in SD but with my gf in LA i can't help but get a little nervous at the thought of the big one happening.

To clarify, this isn't about how "the big one" could happen but rather that there might be a big one really soon, due to recent seismic activity around there.

The article I posted was written this morning.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
To clarify, this isn't about how "the big one" could happen but rather that there might be a big one really soon, due to recent seismic activity around there.

The article I posted was written this morning.

I read a study way back that said given the force on San andres fault, it would raise the entire coast 14 feet instantly. Crazy to even think about something like that and what that would actually do

More worried about Hayward fault tbh. Last summer in my town we had a quake swarm of like... 200 in a few weeks? It's weird to experience more than 1 earthquake in 1 day!

EDIT: Just looked up article from that time... it was over 600!

I read a study way back that said given the force on San andres fault, it would raise the entire coast 14 feet instantly. Crazy to even think about something like that and what that would actually do
It would counter the impact of global warming. Maybe if we trigger earthquakes across the globe, we can raise the coasts to a safe height.

Given that I live roughly 10 miles from the southern edge of the fault in a house built on sand & landfill, it's probably a safe assumption that I am already dead.

Live on in my memory, GAF.

Hmmm I head out to Pacific Beach to visit my sister for a vacation on Tuesday. Here's hoping this doesn't occur! Never been through an earthquake

Whatch the Cascade fault line and San Andreas go at the same time. Any time I feel a shake on Vancouver Island here I think it might be survival time.

I like to think that I'm "safe" in Burbank, as in no buildings are gonna fall on me or anything, but honestly I have no idea how earthquakes work because I've never really felt a big one before so I'm probably actually fucked aren't I?

I mean of course shirt will be shaking and dancing off my shelves but it's not like the round would split open or my house would shake to pieces... right? ):

Dazzler

Whatch the Cascade fault line and San Andreas go at the same time. Any time I feel a shake on Vancouver Island here I think it might be survival time.

you feel that small quake over the Christmas break? My first one ever, think it came in at 4.8

Despite its small size, it spooked me good

jb1234

you feel that small quake over the Christmas break? My first one ever, think it came in at 4.8

I was in Seattle during the 6.8 we had fifteen years ago. The streets were literally rippling. It was astonishing.

Tagyhag

It's a scary thought but no sense living your days in fear. If it happens, it happens. You can't do anything about it.

Best you can do is always keep a medkit/food home and an emergency plan with your family.

The Richter scale is logarithmic, so a 1.0 increase on the scale correlates to a roughly 30x increase in energy. The article says we're looking at potentially a 7.8, which would be 27,000 times stronger than that 4.8. =(

EDIT: Which really puts into perspective the 9.0 (!!!) of the 2011 Japan quake.

Yeah, as scary as the San Andreas is the Cascadia fault has a higher potential maximum on the scale, should it finally slip (and it's roughly due).

Toa TAK

Banned
It's a scary thought but no sense living your days in fear. If it happens, it happens. You can't do anything about it.

Best you can do is always keep a medkit/food home and an emergency plan with your family.
Pretty much.

Kinda sucks but so be it.

1032380.gif

I've already had the worst month ever, don't jinx me.

Pulitzer Prize winning article here to explain how it could get worse :(

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one

The last person I met with in the Pacific Northwest was Doug Dougherty, the superintendent of schools for Seaside, which lies almost entirely within the tsunami-inundation zone. Of the four schools that Dougherty oversees, with a total student population of sixteen hundred, one is relatively safe. The others sit five to fifteen feet above sea level. When the tsunami comes, they will be as much as forty-five feet below it.

In 2009, Dougherty told me, he found some land for sale outside the inundation zone, and proposed building a new K-12 campus there. Four years later, to foot the hundred-and-twenty-eight-million-dollar bill, the district put up a bond measure. The tax increase for residents amounted to two dollars and sixteen cents per thousand dollars of property value. The measure failed by sixty-two per cent. Dougherty tried seeking help from Oregon’s congressional delegation but came up empty. The state makes money available for seismic upgrades, but buildings within the inundation zone cannot apply. At present, all Dougherty can do is make sure that his students know how to evacuate.

Some of them, however, will not be able to do so. At an elementary school in the community of Gearhart, the children will be trapped. “They can’t make it out from that school,” Dougherty said. “They have no place to go.” On one side lies the ocean; on the other, a wide, roadless bog. When the tsunami comes, the only place to go in Gearhart is a small ridge just behind the school. At its tallest, it is forty-five feet high—lower than the expected wave in a full-margin earthquake. For now, the route to the ridge is marked by signs that say “Temporary Tsunami Assembly Area.” I asked Dougherty about the state’s long-range plan. “There is no long-range plan,” he said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom