• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risk of Rain 2 || somehow they topped the first one O_o

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I played the first game to death, unlocking all the characters, beating the game with (nearly) all of them, looping the game multiple times, and generally getting my enjoyment out of it. My favorite aspect of it was the uncompromising difficulty -- which quickly ramps up -- paired to the unchained upgrade system, allowing you to stack numerous copies of items on top of one another for some very fun and broken builds. By the end of a run, you could be healing yourself faster than enemies could dish it out while you fill the air with several homing rockets every time an enemy appears.

The core loop of the first game was getting as much money as you could, as quickly as you could, to buy as many upgrades as you could, to loop back into the earlier levels as quickly as you could... repeating endlessly until the difficulty caught up with your absurd combination of healing items and auto-firing rockets. Stacking up these upgrades was my favorite part. Carelessness and really bad RNG could still spoil a run, but the overall game was short enough to be beaten in 20-30m anyway, so a death was never a huge loss.

GAF is ahead of the curve as usual and recommended the sequel, but I held from playing Risk of Rain 2 until 2020. RoR2 somehow translates the same core loop of the first game into the 3D space. It's a tough game, maybe tougher than the first. I died dozens of times -- most of those on the first stage -- before I unlocked my first character. Risk of Rain 2 has been hard for me to overcome. The game swarms you pretty quickly and enemies shave off a decent amount of health with each hit. I started to get the hang of it, but only after many deaths.

I sunk well over 100 hours into the first Risk of Rain, so it's cozy to see 3D renditions of many of the same enemies (like the flying skulls, the stony giant-golems, the floating jellyfish, etc).

The music.... geez. The soundtrack is easily on par with the first game's. I haven't decided if I like it more, but I am definitely in love. The syncopated time signatures, the acid-rock guitar solos, the runaway Neil Peart double-bass sequences, and the wailing keyboard noises are mesmerizing, fitting the tone of exploring a 3D alien neon landscape perfectly. I will boldly and comfortably say that the two Risk of Rain OSTs are two of the best OSTs of this gaming generation.

Chris Christodoulou should make the soundtrack for the next Dune or Blade Runner game. His music is phenomenal. I'd almost (almost) recommend playing the game and banging your head against the difficulty just for the chance to listen to the soundtrack over and over, it's that good.

I'm still early in my overall journey and have not unlocked many characters or any artifacts. I'm also playing solo. Please share tips with an amateur such as myself.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
Yeah it's really good but i think the tracks you posted are the worst ones in the entire game.
Disdrometer, Terra Pluviam, Into the Doldrums and main theme are much better.
Edit: the raindrop that fell from the sky is good.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
I played the first game to death, unlocking all the characters, beating the game with (nearly) all of them, looping the game multiple times, and generally getting my enjoyment out of it. My favorite aspect of it was the uncompromising difficulty -- which quickly ramps up -- paired to the unchained upgrade system, allowing you to stack numerous copies of items on top of one another for some very fun and broken builds. By the end of a run, you could be healing yourself faster than enemies could dish it out while you fill the air with several homing rockets every time an enemy appears.

The core loop of the first game was getting as much money as you could, as quickly as you could, to buy as many upgrades as you could, to loop back into the earlier levels as quickly as you could... repeating endlessly until the difficulty caught up with your absurd combination of healing items and auto-firing rockets. Stacking up these upgrades was my favorite part. Carelessness and really bad RNG could still spoil a run, but the overall game was short enough to be beaten in 20-30m anyway, so a death was never a huge loss.

GAF is ahead of the curve as usual and recommended the sequel, but I held from playing Risk of Rain 2 until 2020. RoR2 somehow translates the same core loop of the first game into the 3D space. It's a tough game, maybe tougher than the first. I died dozens of times -- most of those on the first stage -- before I unlocked my first character. Risk of Rain 2 has been hard for me to overcome. The game swarms you pretty quickly and enemies shave off a decent amount of health with each hit. I started to get the hang of it, but only after many deaths.

I sunk well over 100 hours into the first Risk of Rain, so it's cozy to see 3D renditions of many of the same enemies (like the flying skulls, the stony giant-golems, the floating jellyfish, etc).

The music.... geez. The soundtrack is easily on par with the first game's. I haven't decided if I like it more, but I am definitely in love. The syncopated time signatures, the acid-rock guitar solos, the runaway Neil Peart double-bass sequences, and the wailing keyboard noises are mesmerizing, fitting the tone of exploring a 3D alien neon landscape perfectly. I will boldly and comfortably say that the two Risk of Rain OSTs are two of the best OSTs of this gaming generation.

Chris Christodoulou should make the soundtrack for the next Dune or Blade Runner game. His music is phenomenal. I'd almost (almost) recommend playing the game and banging your head against the difficulty just for the chance to listen to the soundtrack over and over, it's that good.

I'm still early in my overall journey and have not unlocked many characters or any artifacts. I'm also playing solo. Please share tips with an amateur such as myself.

Awesome

They are still aiming to leave Early Access later this year

In addition to the confirmation of the game’s launch schedule, Hopoo Games also detailed some of the additional features that the studio has planned for the 1.0 release of Risk of Rain 2. One of the biggest new features outlined is the addition of a new server browser to allow players to join matches with other players of their own preference, along with support for dedicated servers for players to host either public or private matches. The 1.0 release of the game will also provide some major new content updates, including a new survivor, new final stage and boss, new items and equipment, and more.

Already a really good game, will keep getting better.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Awww yeah. Those sound like amazing enhancements, and I've barely scratched the surface (only unlocked one character so far, the Hunter).

Manus

Just picked this up on CDkeys for $11. It's a blast!

Really anxious to get more characters unlocked. Just have the starter and the huntress right now.

Top Bottom