• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roboquest is fantastic - FPS Rogue-lite on gamepass

Shocked to see there isn't a thread for this game. I gave it a go on a whim because a friend who is into roguelites recommended to me because I love good fps games.

The result was me being completely and utterly hooked. Just completed a run on hard finally and have unlocked most things in the game. It's so much fun. Excellent shooting mechanics, satisfying unlocks, upgrades and variance to the weapons/elementals. Lots of different routes and maps to play through. A fair few different bosses that all play differently. You have 5 or 6 different characters to unlock with completely different key abilities and upgrades. Late game gadgets you unlock like jetpacks completely change how you can play as well. I havent had this much fun in a single player fps in a good while. Even things like turbo overkill haven't scratched this itch as well as roboquest has.

I was just amazed at how well made this shooter is. The hours I've put in means I'd have happily paid full price for it but I'm so glad it's on gamepass. I never usually make threads but wanted to spread the good word. This game is well worth checking out.

The problem I have now is I really want more roguelite fps games to enjoy. Gunfire reborn seems like the only thing but I confess the artstyle and gameplay I've looked at really doesn't appeal to me like roboquest does.

If you have gamepass and like good shooters - PLEASE give it a go. I only ever played on hard so if you are half decent at shooters I'd recommend hard too because it felt just the right level of challenging to always feel like your still progressing.

winjer

Gold Member
Rogue-lites.....

No Way Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I played it a bit on GP and thought it was fun but not remarkable. Glad you posted some impressions. I may try it again.

I think it also might be on sale now. Not sure.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Got it exactly one year ago in Humble’s Choice Bundle. Not bad, but I think there’s better Rogue Lites on PC.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Why the fuck is nobody playing this game?
I'm playing Turok 3 and Tevi.

I also played this game during Early Access like a year ago. It's a good tooty mcshooty.

If anyone likes Megaman + Doom + Roguelite I also recommend Battle Shapers. The bosses are assholes though.

SmokedMeat SmokedMeat You got a comprehensive list of these "good Roguelites"?

Last edited:

Kadve

I said it before and il say it again. "Rogue-lite" is just code word for "We couldn't bother with designing proper level progression or difficulty curve!". So not interested.

Chukhopops

That's great! But would be nice if it was on PC Game Pass as well.
It is also on PC GP, in fact it was on PC before console because of the early access.

I found it kinda mediocre personally in terms of FPS gameplay, I don't like grindy roguelites.

Guilty_AI

I said it before and il say it again. "Rogue-lite" is just code word for "We couldn't bother with designing proper level progression or difficulty curve!". So not interested.
I'd argue its even more difficult to design levels and difficulty curves in a roguelit/ke. Its not as if those suddenly stop mattering just because of perma-death and procedural levels, not if they want their game to be good and stand above all the other competition out there.

So they still have to design those things properly while not being able to directly tweak levels and encounters.

Hohenheim

I bet this is true for some of the games in the genre, but definitly not for all. Two of my all-time favourites (Binding of Isaac and Returnal) definitly don't have these issues.

It is also on PC GP, in fact it was on PC before console because of the early access.

I found it kinda mediocre personally in terms of FPS gameplay, I don't like grindy roguelites.

Really I found the gameplay really good? Also not too grindy. I started on hard and found it very satisfying with consistent progression really.

Not been playing so much recently but have completed up to guardian 2 difficulty (4 is the max difficulty).

The different classes play very differently. I'm still stuck using the starting class because I'm super reliant on the shield ability to tank damage when things go crazy.

OP you want to hype us for a game and you don't share screenshots
Confused Liam Neeson GIF

Sorry! I'm lazy and don't make threads often.

Last edited:

Resenge

Ok OP, your plea has reached me. I just blind bought this on steam due to the passion I felt in your post. I am looking forward to my new favourite game.

I beleive in you! :messenger_fistbump:

Ogbert

Good game.

Although I remember it being very difficult. The second area was a bit of a brick wall. And not in a ‘git gud’ way. Rather just ‘grind the game and luck out on a good gun’ way.

Sorne

I gave it a try after I read your post.. and man I'm glad I did! It's so much fun! We played it co-op and pretty much rinsed through it over a couple of days, tons of fun. And the soundtrack is awesome. Some of the songs are like a mix of Doom and synthwave. You get full on dopamine rush, sliding around and killing robots with big guns. I love it.
I was craving a new rogue-like after finishing Remnant 2, and this satisfied my needs.

Thanks for you recommendation, OP !

nemiroff

Gold Member
Your wish is my command.. just played it crossplay co-op with my nine year old, and it was fun. We'll play it again.

Top Bottom