• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar reportedly selling pirated/cracked games on Steam

Draugoth

Gold Member

Discovered by modder ‘Silent’, the Steam version of Midnight Club 2 is actually the version that the scene group “Razor 1911” cracked back in 2003.

As you can clearly see from the HEX Editor that Silent has used, the Steam version of Midnight Club 2 features Razor 1911’s signature. So, instead of releasing the original version of Midnight Club 2, Rockstar went ahead and downloaded a cracked version in order to sell it. And that’s hilarious.

Ironically, this isn’t the first time Rockstar was caught selling cracked games on Steam. Rockstar had previously done the exact same thing with Manhunt and Max Payne 2.

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

Truth Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Dane

I remember Ubisoft had made a patch for Rainbow Six Vegas 2 that also replaced the .exe with a had a Razor one.

ShadowNate

Oh this happens a lot.
I mean it's still good to raise a stink and maybe drive Rockstar or whoever publisher to upload an original version of the game, fixed by their own developers, if needed to remove DRM and such.

But, from experience publishers won't give a shit even after it's pointed out to them.

DaGwaphics

Did they include backdoors?

I have no idea about this group. But some of these hacking groups were accused of doing things like that. Though sometimes it would be someone nefarious repackaging the work of a group and distributing it via the file shares. Or at least that would be the defense brought forward when it would happen.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Haha. That doesn’t even make sense.

Are the pirated versions perhaps better in some aspects like they also modded in patches or QoL fixes or anything so rockstar just said fuck it and they’ll resell a better version of their own game?

If not and it’s the same exact game, how can it that hard to just upload on steam the original code?

Lol. Lazy asses.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Doesn't that happen a lot? I think Nintedo did the same thing with Mario Galaxy games on switch.
A lot of past games are emulated and the ROM is download from whatever easy site

It's kinda weird because they could work with the original source, but chances are that this is way quicker. Also, most of the time is some kind of emulation, not ports, so doesn't matter if works right

Bry0

Haha. That doesn’t even make sense.

Are the pirated versions perhaps better in some aspects like they also modded in patches or QoL fixes or anything so rockstar just said fuck it and they’ll resell a better version of their own game?

If not and it’s the same exact game, how can it that hard to just upload on steam the original code?

Lol. Lazy asses.
Don’t forget these games came out in the days of securom and cd checks. My guess is rockstar just packed a nocd cracked exe into the steam game instead of bothering to remove the CD verification themselves.

Last edited:
It's their game... why can't they

is not just their game now, they are including other people's work

did R* asked the crack team permission to use their work commercially? I dont know if they did but you just cannot take whatever people made and use it commercially, you have to pay for a license, some licenses require you to include the author in the credits of your game, some game cracks explicitly prohibit their sale

for example you can develop a game but if you dare to use a sprite let say a pokemon sprite nintendo will come after you because its their property

some dev dont care and some people dont care but you cannot take it for granted unless its public domain, CC0 or MIT license no matter if the rest of the game its yours

Last edited:

peronmls

So glad I got this game on steam before it got removed. Loved the music and the menu UI. It was an extremely good port as far as I'm aware.

IAmRei

Razor1911 lmao

Crack scene was so funny back then. Fuckin chiptunes while you install it. The readmes always talking shit about other cracking groups.
I recall i got annoyed with why they used crappy chiptunes and the music sounds bad. But in the end, i love the music, very nostalgic these days.

lmimmfn

RAZOR should sue for intellectual property violation and unauthorised distribution of same.

Publishers are getting out of hand suing pirate groups, emulator groups and meanwhile reaping the rewards of others works.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
RAZOR should sue for intellectual property violation and unauthorised distribution of same.

Publishers are getting out of hand suing pirate groups, emulator groups and meanwhile reaping the rewards of others works.

That's not how it works.

bender

What time is it?
Rollercoaster of emotions:

-Wait, Midnight Club 2 is back on Steam?
-Searches, "no results found", sadness.
-Searches Library, "Midnight Club 2", glee.
-I'm too old for this shit.

Top Bottom