• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roland Garros 2017 |OT| - The Worst Slam

scarlet

Yeah, I'm not feeling it. Well I knew Halep can't hold her serve, but to see this again. Yawn.

Can't wait for Stan and Rafa

DBzkaPWUMAAlSyz.jpg

Wow. Ostapenko is great to watch. Sure, she makes too many UE but she always goes for the point and boy, does she hammer those balls. Girl has heart.

scarlet

Good God, I saw Halep against Serena 2 years ago, and she hit so hard.

But this Latvian girl is waaaaaay more.

Congrats!

Mimosa97

I had given up on women's tennis but Ostapenko pulled me back in. What an amazing player. Love the way she's not afraid to take risks and hit that ball as hard as she can. I'm glad it paid off.

I feel bad for Simona though.

Diamond

Incredible ball striking by Ostapenko. I didn't think she would be able to play like that for three sets but she did. Great performance.
I feel Halep didn't play her that well though. She should have tried more things. Zero slices, zero drop-shots, often clear strokes in the middle of the court that Ostapenko could hammer easily. Granted, it's not easy to play someone who makes a winner or a fault after four shots on average, but I think she could have been more creative. Ostapenko obviously didn't have a plan B, but it seems like Simona didn't have one either.

d+pad

I am sooooooo happy for Ostapenko! When she went down 3-1 in the third and kept getting worked up, I thought she was done. But that's exactly when she went on a tear! :D

Anyway, I know some here think she made too many errors. Well, yes, but that's her game--high risk, high reward. Also, she was playing in her first Slam final, and playing against someone who gets a ton of balls back. She was going to make a lot of errors, win or lose.

As for Halep, I feel kind of bad for her, but only kind of. No one "deserves" or is "owed" a Slam, and in the end she just didn't do enough to win this match.

She's always going to be in the same position as similar players like Woziacki and Jankovic and the like, IMO--if she finds herself up against a big hitter in a Slam quarter, semi or final, she's often going to lose those matches ... even if the opponent it ranked quite a bit lower than she is. That's just how it goes.

I know Ostapenko likely will have a bit of letdown after this, but I hope it doesn't last too long. I really like her and her game, and I hope she competes for another Slam ASAP.

Regardless, this win along with the returns of Sharapova, Kvitova and Azarenka really have injected the women's game with some life, haven't they? Bring on the grass season, I say! :D

clemenx

Banned
Always a fucking delight seeing someone so offensive oriented winning, moreso on the ladies side.

Let's hope she can follow it up.

And thank god the Men's final seems to be a good one after a bit of a shitty event overall. Let's hope The Man shows up so it can be a classic.

T-0800

Glad Stan has made the final and I hope he can win it. I really think he is the only one in the tournament who would have had a chance to beat Nadal. I wonder if he has asked Roger for any tips. Not something I would usually think but Federer has played very well against him this year.

SIRF

Glad Stan has made the final and I hope he can win it. I really think he is the only one in the tournament who would have had a chance to beat Nadal. I wonder if he has asked Roger for any tips. Not something I would usually think but Federer has played very well against him this year.

Idk if that transfer over to clay. If Federer had figured that out, he would be playing right now to beat Rafa in the one place he never beat him.

there's no way Wawrinka will win a GS final against Nadal
... and then he did.

there's no way Wawrinka will defeat this Djokovic in a GS final
... and then he did.

now come on, there's no way Wawrinka will defeat Djokovic in a hard court GS final
... and then he did.

but seriously there's no way he'll stop Nadal in a RG final

Kensuke

If this was on a different surface I might give Wawrinka the edge, but no way he pulls it off here. Nadal is too comfy. I hope it's a bit competitive at least.

I wonder if Rafa can catch Feds GS total. I hope not. It is incredible that Rafa has come back like this after so many injuries. I definitely believe Novak will as well.

I wonder if Rafa can catch Feds GS total. I hope not. It is incredible that Rafa has come back like this after so many injuries. I definitely believe Novak will as well.

Doubtful. He's a non threat in wimby and gets outclassed on the faster uso.

He needs this and 4 other RGs. Which would be insane.

Djoko needs 7 more after hitting 30. Don't see it either, especially after going a year without one and no big injury.

Slaythe

Rafa is clearly the underdog in this.

He's lost to Stan in a memorable match.

Hopefully he makes history and corrects this.

Kensuke

Stan always needs to warm up a little. Not too worried about the errors unless it leads to a break. If he can't turn into The Man by the second set he has no chance at all though.

Kensuke

Welp, Wawrinka not even close to his best. Hitting almost no winners and letting Nadal dictate the points. Hope that mental fortitude he acquired shows up soon.

oti

Banned
Maybe I should take a nap for Microsoft later instead of watching this. 🤔

Wawa ain't getting my energy.

Top Bottom