• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Router GAF] good models for LOCAL ps3 => Vita remote play

Rolf NB

I am just about ready to kick my trusty old Netgear WNR834b v2 (Full PDF manual) into the bucket. It's running DD-WRT and there weren't any big issues with it when I still was on DSL. But DD-WRT is basically dead and abandoned at this point, the only version that works on this model is some beta version, and I am increasingly frustrated by multiple glaring issues in it that will probably never be fixed. Let's please not get into too much detail about them here. But suffice to say, I am no longer happy with this router/firmware. I cannot get LOCAL ps3 => Vita streaming to work at all. It works as it should if I do internet remote play. But that's obviously not delivering the latency I want.

This is no config issue between the devices. The router just won't let me apply the correct config without breaking other stuff, like, say, the internet, DNS and all that other fancy shit.

=====
My setup involves a cable modem, then a router, and clients on both Wifi and ethernet. My PS3 is on ethernet. My Vita is on Wifi. For internet access to work, the router's WAN interface must be in DHCP client mode (receives a non-static address, gateway and DNS from the cable modem).

I think there's three options for me:
  • try to flash the original (vintage 2008!) firmware, hope that doesn't brick my router and ends up working better as it does now
    Cost: zero; risk: no internet access
  • Buy an ASUS RT-N15U in good faith that it works as advertised and does everything I want
    Cost: ~45€; risk: spending 45€ on something that doesn't help
  • Let a GAF member recommend a router that is tested and known to work
    Cost: ???; risk: probably none

The remote play thing is a must. My other requirements aren't too outrageous I think. All else I really need are WPA2 encryption, a wireless MAC filter, and the ability for wireless and ethernet clients to live in the same subnet, get DHCP addresses from the same pool and communicate freely. Oh, and it shouldn't be an unstable, insecure piece of shit of course. A well-configured dnsmasq is definitely a bonus, but w/e.

So, GAF, what are my options?
What routers are you folks using to get PS3 => Vita remotely play working without requiring an internet roundtrip?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think your best bet is to look at the best overall consumer wireless routers. The Wirecutter did a feature comparing options:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router-asus-rt-n66u/

They concluded that the best consumer router was the Asus RT N66U. It's Tomato compatible (and I can vouch for it running Tomato). It's extremely stable and has excellent performance across all metrics. Downside: It's expensive as hell, but you get your money's worth.

The RT-AC66U is an 802.11AC router, IE the next step up from the N66U, and even more expensive. The downside is that I believe tomato support is not available yet.

Rolf NB

I think your best bet is to look at the best overall consumer wireless routers. The Wirecutter did a feature comparing options:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router-asus-rt-n66u/

They concluded that the best consumer router was the Asus RT N66U. It's Tomato compatible (and I can vouch for it running Tomato). It's extremely stable and has excellent performance across all metrics. Downside: It's expensive as hell, but you get your money's worth.

The RT-AC66U is an 802.11AC router, IE the next step up from the N66U, and even more expensive. The downside is that I believe tomato support is not available yet.
Interesting reading material, thanks.

I'm a bit concerned about the external antenna array on the 66s though. I'd like to mount this inside a tiny ~cabinet thing, Seeing how these models can't stand up (like the current Netgear, and the Asus routers up to the 56 series), I'd have to screw it to a side wall, which will be a bit of a klutz with three antennas sticking out :\
(plus yeah, it's really shockingly expensive)

edit: to clarify: the RT-N56U's antennas are completely internal, which is neat in a cramped mounting space.

I'll read a bit on that site what they have to say about the models already on my radar.

Top Bottom