• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Router made for gaming.....?

SpectreRT

I recently got a major obsession with UT2K4 and CS: Source, but the problem is, my current router sucks and is giving me packetloss every few minutes. Anyone who plays online PC shooters should understand how frustrating this is.

So, I was browsing for a new router and came along these two models. DGL-4300 ( http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=370 ) and the DGL-4100 ( http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=371&sec=4 ). Apparently these D-link routers are gigabit with some kinda technology to lower pings and stuff.

Anyway, I looked online for some reviews but all I could find was fluff that did not explain anything I wanted to know. Anyone here info serious PC gaming who has experience with this router? Or any type or router that is good at avoiding packetloss? Thanks.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Why would the router be causing packetloss? It's a switch right? Are you sure it's not your broadband modems connection to your service provider? Do you have a lot of concurrent activity on the modem when you are playing games? Like someone bittorrenting?

All these routers do is provide you QOS (Quality of Service). That is, it can identify TCP/IP packets that are from games and give them top priority. If no one else is using the internet while you are gaming, it will do absolutely nothing for you.

Gigabit isn't going to lower your ping for gaming. Your internet connection probably sucks dude. You need to find out if that is actually the case. All gigabit would provide you is faster data transfer over your LAN from one PC to another. Your internet connection probably isn't even 5 mbit. Gigabit is 1000 mbit

SpectreRT

We have comcast 4mbit down, 346/k up i think.... its higher than their basic plan.

No one else is on the internet when I play. Its like, 1am - 4am when I play, and I make sure all other computers are off. All I run is teamspeak or AIM in the background.

*note I have three roomates, one who downloads crap during the daytime, and the other two know nothing about the internet besides how to check e-mail*

Example of my problem - my neighbor has comcast also. He gets a 24 ping to the Liandri TAM server. I get a 74ping with 2 packetloss every 55 seconds.

I already called comcast saying I had an inconsistant net issue, and they ran new lines and tested all boxes from my house all the way to the front of the neighborhood. So, it has to be something inside the house.

I have a gigabit Abit motherboard and a belkin cat5e cable. d-link 604 router, and the motorola surfboard ethernet modem.

Anyone with any advice? Thanks in advance.

Blazyr

Hit the forums over at Broadbandreports.com.

I've got Cox cable here and they have a few techs who voluntarily help out through the forums. Even if no Comcast reps do that the community is pretty up on their stuff.

Packetloss seems to be a recurring theme with cable. If you happen to have a Moto modem you'll be able to pull levels off it and see how your signal looks. One of the first tricks is to make a home run (a direct line) to your modem from the first splitter.

fart

Savant
i think it's unlikely that your little nat box is adding 50ms latency and massive packetloss (or any at all, really). it's more likely to be inside wiring, traffic, etc.

run a cable directly from your cable modem to a terminal. latency issues now? still dropping packets?

if you're using any coax extensions, get rid of those. still dropping packets?

if you're STILL dropping packets, then there's really nothing you can do other than change providers

Agent Icebeezy said:
I have all linksys stuff in my house, it's great
Conversly, I will never have Linksys product in my house again. Too many things didn't work, and I spent too much time on the phone wit india.

Gattsu25

Banned
ArcadeStickMonk said:
Conversly, I will never have Linksys product in my house again. Too many things didn't work, and I spent too much time on the phone wit india.
was this before or after Cisco stepped in? Linksys now is much better than they were before

SpectreRT said:
I recently got a major obsession with UT2K4 and CS: Source, but the problem is, my current router sucks and is giving me packetloss every few minutes. Anyone who plays online PC shooters should understand how frustrating this is.

So, I was browsing for a new router and came along these two models. DGL-4300 ( http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=370 ) and the DGL-4100 ( http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=371&sec=4 ). Apparently these D-link routers are gigabit with some kinda technology to lower pings and stuff.

Anyway, I looked online for some reviews but all I could find was fluff that did not explain anything I wanted to know. Anyone here info serious PC gaming who has experience with this router? Or any type or router that is good at avoiding packetloss? Thanks.

I'm actually thinking about buying this router.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Wakune said:
was this before or after Cisco stepped in? Linksys now is much better than they were before
Linksys has always been Cisco I believe

SpectreRT

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Slight update, I went to broadbandreports.com and talked to some techs over there.

No, my coax is not on any splitters, it has its own dedicated line coming out outside my home.

I tried two different routers, same packetloss.

Yes, I tried different RJ-45 cables, still packetloss.

However, after running a test I had a few Windows programs running in the background that I was told how to disable. ( cffmon, windows firewall, among a few others ).

After that, my packetloss is much lower - almost non-existant... at least last night.

And the above post about the D-link gaming router is correct, it wont really do anything special, unless someone else in the house is downloading, websurfing ect ect. Just makes the gaming signal a priority and causes less lag.

Thanks again for everyones information, it was a great help.

Gattsu25

Banned
olubode said:
Linksys has always been Cisco I believe
cisco_linksys_letter.gif

meh...you're right

Top Bottom