• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: God of War trilogy remaster in the works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
https://www.eurogamer.net/original-god-of-war-trilogy-is-rumoured-to-be-getting-remastered

The original God of War trilogy could be getting the remaster treatment.

That's according to XboxEra's Nick Baker, who announced on "The 4th Annual Grubbsmas Shpeshaltacular" that he'd heard a remaster of the first three God of War games "might be happening".

Not sure how credible this guy is. Whatever the case, it would be nice for them to finally bring the original games into the modern era since the only way to play them is on PS2 or with the PS3 collection. III I believe is playable on PS5 with BC from the remastered GOW III on PS4.

I could see them porting this to PC as well to drum up interest before porting Ragnarok. That way, the four games leading up to the grand finale of the Norse Saga would be available on every platform. Knowing you cynical bastards, I know you'll shit on this.

The Stig

Yeah, GoW3 remaster on PS4 is great. Not sure it needs to be done. I just beat it the other day on my PS5.

However a remaster of the first 2? .......That has me interested.

HUGE GoW fan here. I've played the SHIT out of all the games except the one with deimos in. I love all the games.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
"XboxEra's Nick Baker"

The Office I Give Up GIF

With the current circumstance of mega goliath game budgets/size of studios I believe it.

Needed revenue from these remasters because the next God of War is probably going to be pushing between half to three quarters of a billion in its budget.

Last edited:
Bogus rumor; it's from a known Xbox fanboy who just makes most of his stuff up. Remasters of these don't even make sense unless they'd include extensive QoL improvements and were compiled into a single collection. You can play the old ones on PS5 through BC & cloud.

Anyway 99% chance the rumor is false, so nothing to see here.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I was in high school when GOW 3 was launched. I payed for the 300€ collector edition, because I believed that it was the only way to get the remasters that are in it. DAY ONE! And there is a GOW show planned right?
Im Sure Season 2 GIF by Martin

BouncyFrag

If so I want a commentary track of Boi and Mimir freaking out over all the crazy, epic shit Kratos did and Kratos giving zero fucks about it.

Mimir offends Kratos with ‘exaggerated’ and Freya is not amused:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
If that's true, I'm all for it cuz modern God of War is trash gameplay-wise (love the setting and time period though). The third game (which was aready remastered for PS4) looks great, but 4K resolution could be a welcome addition. I wonder who's going to be making PS5 versions, Bluepoint?

Last edited:

Fake

With is strange that progressive Sony is backing into old Kratos for the sake of money, but again Is very likely.

We have horribles examples like Horizon Zero Dawn Remake and TLOUSpart2 remaster, so I can't see why Sony wouldn't do a GoW remaster as well.

Let hope for God of War: Ascension be included in the package. I mean, nobody need to be an insider to guess Sony is doing a shit load of remasters and remakes.

Last edited:

DeepSpace5D

I mean they were already remastered but I wouldn’t complain if they put a port out for PS5.

Whatever the case, it would be nice for them to finally bring the original games into the modern era since the only way to play them is on PS2 or with the PS3 collection.
Don’t forget the God of War collection for the PS Vita as well.

The GOW III remaster did absolute gangbusters so this isn't a surprise. It'll be a decent project for BluePoint or a transitional team from SSM while Cory's game gets developed.

Perrott

Gold Member
Bogus rumor; it's from a known Xbox fanboy who just makes most of his stuff up. Remasters of these don't even make sense unless they'd include extensive QoL improvements and were compiled into a single collection. You can play the old ones on PS5 through BC & cloud.

Anyway 99% chance the rumor is false, so nothing to see here.
Well, I could see the point of a remade/remastered collection if it were to coincide with the premiere of Prime Video's God of War show in 2025, which also marks the series' 20th anniversary.

They did launch the Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection alongside the Uncharted film, The Last Of Us Part I in advance to the HBO show, had GT7 in stores and receiving new content every month by the time the Gran Turismo film came out and we know Firesprite took over Lucid's Twisted Metal project and are likely aiming to get it out with season 2 of the show.

Mr Hyde

I can believe this. Numbers were out from the leak about play time regarding classic games and GoW collection and God of War 3 took the top 2 spots. PS fans love the classic God of War - games and a remastered trilogy collection on PS5 would do solid numbers.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
They need to seriously make this different enough for me to give a shit.

Make a first person mode for a start. Give it the best graphics possible. Fully destructible environments and finally a Battle Royale multiplayer mode.

Do all of that and I might consider it.

Topher

Gold Member
This guy’s plugged in

That tweet was Jan 3, 2022. 15 days later......

Trying Not To Laugh Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

bender

What time is it?
They need to seriously make this different enough for me to give a shit.

Make a first person mode for a start. Give it the best graphics possible. Fully destructible environments and finally a Battle Royale multiplayer mode.

Do all of that and I might consider it.
giphy.gif

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
God of War 1 and 2 with the same graphics as God of War 3 Remastered.

Hell yeah!

Wouldn't having the same graphics and over the shoulder camera be superior? It wouldn't be much of a change to get me throbbing, but it's better than a lazy "lick of paint" remake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom