• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Portal 2 - Surprise, it's still great

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
So I replayed Portal 2 the other day for the first time since it's release, way back in 2011. I should also say that I have no idea what the general internet consensus on Portal 2, it's story and it's characters is. Are they beloved? Or is Portal 2 another one in the long line of "worst game evar"s? Well, what I can tell you is that I haven't been as hyped for a game since Portal 2 came out and this was one of the rare cases when the game met all my hopes and dreams. I spent hours playing games I didn't even like to accomplish dumb tasks to earn potatoes. Yeah, remember that? Remember just playing a particular game to somehow fill some meters on some weird website about potatoes (and sometimes the face of the G-Man )?

That whole ARG thing was a very good indicator about how much Portal has changed. And had to change. Remember when Portal 1 came out and everybody was like "Oh neat, some dumb puzzle thingy is on my Half-Life/Team Fortress DVD". And then slowly but surley discovering what Portal was until it became the darling (and bane) of the entire internet? Discovering that Portal 1 is more then a funny Puzzle game and actually has a world and a mythology attached to it was probably the greatest moment of the last generation for me. And Portal 1 is easily one of my favourite games of all time.
So, how do you follow up on that? How do you make a small, unknown side dish into it's own full meal? You do it like Valve did. You change shit up. And you don't include jokes about a cake (except for that one)

GladOS is undoubtedly the star of Portal 1 and one of the most iconic characters of the last generation but at the end of the game, not only do you kill her, but you also "get" her. She is a sarcastic megalomaniac rogue AI. Got it. So Portal 2 is very much not about GladOS. The real star of Portal 2 is Aperture Science and the facility you are trapped in. A large percentage of the game doesn't take place in the iconic Test Chambers but behind the scenes allowing you to marvel at the seemingly endless facility and all the complex mechanisms within it. There are so many little touches everywhere, from single panels fixing themselves or being replaced to Wheatley moving around entire rooms. And, of course, the game throws you deep into the belly of the beast, letting you run around in the old Aperture Science Testing Facility and learning about it's history. Again with a lot of little touches everywhere, like a bunch of "Runner Up" awards, presumable behind Half-Life's Black Mesa.

And then there is the ending. Again, I have no idea what people think about Portal 2's ending. But I can say that it was a game that kept me guessing the entire time. "How can this game possibly end?". A lot of video games end in a very predictable way but not Portal 2 (at least not for me). It's over-the-top happy ending is so untypical for the, let's be honest here, very depressing and gruesome universe it is set in. And the game knows that and really messes with your expectations before delivering the almost sickeningly sweet (well, except for one thing...) ending that still feels completely deserved.

Also Portal 2 was the game that finally made me realize how great Valve is at creating villains without making them unrealistically evil. In fact, in Portal 2 they almost make them too sympathetic. In the beginning of the "Old Aperture" part of the game Valve paints a pretty clear picture of Aperture's former CEO Cave Johnson: He is a dick (basically). But then, his last few recordings are....somewhat sad. You're not used to hear the big bad CEO of the big bad corporation slowly dying because of some cancer. Hell no, I should be destroying his mech with him angrily shaking his fist, yelling "CHEEEEELL" as he blows up. Instead he sounds resigned and the last words you actually hear from him are not concerned with his own wellbeing but with the wellbeing of somebody else.
And then there is Wheatley who really is one of the best characteres ever put in a video game. His lines, and especially their delivery by Stephen Merchant are just spot-on the entire time. He is just a loveable doofus that you can't help but like even when he tries to kill you. But that wasn't good enough for Valve so they decided to add something to the character. During the final encounter you get to hear soemthing really unexpected that somewhat changed my perception of the character.
"Remember when I first told you how to find that little portal thing you love so much? Well, I thought you'd die on the way, if I'm honest. All the others did. You didn't think you were the first, did you?No no no. Fifth. No, I lie: Sixth. Perhaps it's best to leave it to your imagination what happened to the other five... You know what? I think we're well past the point of tasteful restraint. So I'll tell you what happened to them: they died. Horrifically. They all died horrifically. Trying to get that portal device that you're gripping in your meaty little fingers there."
Stuff like this really adds to a character, even if you hear it just at the end of the game. And, like with Cave Johnson, the last thing you hear from Wheatley is something way more sympathetic and somber. He apologizes. Again: Hearing the final boss of the game apologizing in a versy sincere way is not something you are used to. It's not even like he is trying to save himself, it's the after credits scene and all is already lost for him as he is floating through space, possibly forever.

At this point I have no idea what a potential Portal 3 would even look like but I really hope Valve can abandon Chell and GladOS for it. Their story is done and there really doesn't need to be a "But whoops, it was all just an illusion, you are still trapped and GladOS is still an asshole" or "You actually died moments eariler" revelation. Let a happy ending be a happy ending sometimes.

Tl;dr: Portal 2 is everything a sequel should be, the writing is amazing for the most part, I love it and if you disagree then YOU are a cake and therefore a lie and an outdated internet meme! Take that.

Jacqli

I liked the sequel even more than the first one. The new puzzles, abilities, the characters, the new areas, the dialogues (there is one involving Chell's parents and GladOS that made me laugh a lot and that was not the only one)… Everything was great and memorable. Once I started to play it, I was not able to stop so I had to finish it in a weekend.

To be honest I probably prefer Portal 2 to the original. It's that good.

I kind of agree. The single player campaign in Portal 2 is much larger and far more fleshed out than the one in the first game, and there is so much more variety in locations. I really like the organic feel of the areas in the second game, and being able to see the past of Aperture science is great.
There's a great moment when you find the dry dock for the Borealis, and all the hints of disappearance.

The co-op campaign is a novel idea as well, if a bit short. But there is additional content for it too, and it even has two player split screen.

dmshaposv

Portal 2 is the rare gaming sequel where it is better than the original - and the original is already GOAT.

Also the co op is the best co op gameplay ever.

Dr. Buni

I like Portal more than Portal 2, but both games are incredible. Portal 2 is one of my GOATs :) Bombs for Throwing at You is one of my favorite songs.

I spent hours playing games I didn't even like to accomplish dumb tasks to earn potatoes. Yeah, remember that? Remember just playing a particular game to somehow fill some meters on some weird website about potatoes (and sometimes the face of the G-Man )?

Hey, the potato sack had Defense Grid which I probably ended up playing ten times as much as portal.

That being said, I do remember the game as awesome. There were a few puzzles that I didn't care for, but the writing was top notch throughout.

And the multiplayer is probably the best coop experience I've had in any game ever, and I hate that I can't go in blind again and discover all that awesome stuff with another friend.

Played both Portal games for the first time last year and was absolutely floored. Incredible titles. I think I preferred Portal 2, as I found it to be funnier than the original, but again, both are incredible.

Jintor

It's an amazing game. There's a few bits where it kind of drags and I feel the level design was a little bit more "oh here's the only place I can place a portal on this wall", especially down the Pit, but the jokes are hilarious, the voice acting is inspired and that ending.

I didn't expect to like it when I first started (after having seen the trailer with the new character etc) but it's great.

The coop is the most fun I've had in any coop game ever , it was a bonding experience to play it with a friend.

They added meaningful new puzzle mechanics (yay) and integrated mod support (as expected from valve games)

Glados was an amazing character again, her background is so sad and the ending is so bittersweet.

I don't know how a portal 3 without glados would work though, glados' voice actress is such an integral part of what makes portal portal.
(I highly recommend replaying portal 1 with her commentary)

I would hope they do some far future sequel in a new setting or with new circumstances where glados is still intact (even though chell is long dead, there wouldn't even have to be any pandering references to chell, just need glados' character to have grown and evolved).
Or actually now that I think about it, I would really enjoy a prequel where glados is still human (Caroline) and the player could get to know her (with normal human voice)
As long as she's given a proper role (not damsel in distress, not a cameo either, a full central role) in the story.
It would be an opportunity for the player to redeem themselves for what they (will) have done to glados (in the future).

It would also be a chance to see the aperture science fascilities in their 1950s glory (which I think they could do justice without making it too much of a bioshock like cliche of the era)

I want this ten times more than a half life 3

The week this game came out, I randomly sat right next to JK Simmons at a crowded restaurant. I wanted to throw my arms around him and go ohmygodiloveyou. But he was with his family enjoying a nice night and it didn't seem like the right thing to do. But in my mind, I still ate dinner with Cave Johnson and Tenzin that night.

Love this game and I love J.K Simmons VA in this.

OMFG I never realized he voiced in this game... pretty awesome.

The entire Portal series are my favorite puzzle games ever. A third would be cool but only if Valve could innovate enough or if they decide to make a game that ends in 3.

Azax

OMFG I never realized he voiced in this game... pretty awesome.

The entire Portal series are my favorite puzzle games ever. A third would be cool but only if Valve could innovate enough or if they decide to make a game that ends in 3.

Mr Cave Johnson! :D

im_dany

My only complain about Portal 2 compared to the prequel is that it feels more "on trails" to me.

IMHO it's the best game of last gen, it's just too good.

TM94

If ever a game can be described as perfect, then it would be Portal 2.

I can't think of a single thing that could be improved in any way.

Portal 2 is one of the most amazing games ever created. It fun to play, just hard enough, it has great presentation (story, sounds, music, graphics)... Just amazing.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Totally agree, it's a masterpiece. And if the single player wasn't enough, the original co-op campaign is amazing too. Basically two full games for the price of one!

PaulloDEC

It did everything the original did and then added a bunch more things you never knew you wanted in a game about putting portals on walls. It's as close to the perfect sequel as I've ever seen, and probably just as close to being the perfect game.

Thaedolus

So I just finished my first replay of this game since it came out. I think I might be even more impressed now than I was then...that fucking ending man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBfQLFQWb0g

The humor is great, the level design is fantastic, the animations working within the Source engine boggle my mind...just wow. I wish Valve would release games more often, Portal 2 is masterpiece material.

Jedi2016

One of my favorites. I prefer the puzzles in this one over the first game, the challenge is more figuring out how to solve them over the first one, where the answer was obvious but actually doing it was the challenge.

The first portal is a tighter, more original experience...but I definitely like 2 better. I just love how much they expanded the story. The awesome 70's aperture facility and Cave Johnson alone make me prefer it to the first.I also loved the gels, Wheatley, the opening, the co-op. Such a great game.

Never played the second game. Man I wish it was available on the newer systems.

Get it for computer. Runs really well on Mac and PC

galv

Unconfirmed Member
The only thing I disliked about Portal 2: In those large open spaces of Aperture, there were only one or two spots to put a portal on. So annoyingly, there were times you'd have to hunt just to find the next portalable wall to continue to the next part. Those aren't puzzles. They're frustrating.

Similarly, a few of the puzzles also had only one solution based on where you could place portals (portalable walls) so it felt as though you were being guided through the puzzle - something the original game didn't have a problem with.

With that said, incredibly minor grievances, the game was still incredible and a worthy sequel to a game I consider one of the GOATs.

You made a great point about the villains in Valve games. Even the G-Man is a nebulous "villain". What he ever actually done against humanity? He's always there arranging things for the future. Always just ahead and setting things up for Gordon to succeed.

Top Bottom