• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will the PS Portal support Cloud Streaming by the end of the year?

Will the PS Portal support Cloud Streaming by the end of the year?

• Yes, but not by the end of the year

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
I think we're starting to see the meat of Sony's roadmap really starting to flesh out. I think a lot of us would like to see these things happen a lot sooner, but they've got dozens of things warming up on burners.

It's nice to see things really coming together when one of my criticisms of Sony has been a lack of synergy. I think we will end up seeing Until Dawn remake get VR on PC and PS5 for example.

For the PS Portal though, I think this device is going to be their first major foray into Cloud Streaming. I think what they've done is they've sold the Portal in limited quantities to get telemetry data while they improve Cloud streaming. I think by the end of the year we'll see it support streaming and you won't need to buy a PS5 in order to play it. You'll be able to subscribe to PS+, create a game library, and stream that library on the PS Portal. They sell the PS Portal almost certainly at a profit and it becomes a way to increase margins on PS+ and software sales while not taking a loss on hardware sales.

It goes a step further than that by also utilizing PS Link out of the box, meaning you're far more likely to buy either the Pulse Elite or Pulse Explore which are also certainly sold at a decent profit. You'll note that the PS Portal doesn't support Bluetooth audio. All done on purpose to drive margins.

I think if successful, it is only a matter of time until we see PS Portal OLED edition and maybe a 5G-enabled PS Portal. As I mentioned before I also have no doubt that Sony releases a portable PS5 at some point ala Switch meets Series S with the form factor of a Portal.

Top Bottom