• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor][Grain of Salt] Sony might be working on a new PlayStation handheld that can run PS4 titles

Fabieter

BTW, I find ridiculous to have these PC handhelds into conversation. They are not mass market devices, how much marketing and R&D Asus spent on ROG Ally? The fact that it launched with a ton of issues doesn't help at all.

As much as they were in 2001 when they started development on PSP?

Basically the most powerful at the time without a handful of pc handheld on the market which plays every japanese game including most sony games yes.

nial

Basically the most powerful at the time without a handful of pc handheld on the market which plays every japanese game including most sony games yes.
So you really believe this would be a reaction to Steam Deck and the like? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

fart town usa

Gold Member
You see, I never really understood this train of thought...
You may not own a tablet
It's more convenient to have the controllers attached (what if you are on a bus, in a car, lying in bed)
Most other gaming handhelds have awful ergonomics on the controller side of things
Here you get not just the ergonomics but also ALL of the features of the dual sense
As for streaming, yeh, it's a companion device for the PS5, it's always been marketed as that, which, by the way, will be forward compatible with the PS5 Pro and PS6

So is it lazy/low effort or is it really smart design choices? (Hint: it's the latter, obviously)
The Portal is baller as F. I understand if some would rather have a Steamdeck but for my needs, the Portal absolutely succeeds. It's a brilliant device AFAIC.

Fabieter

So you really believe this would be a reaction to Steam Deck and the like? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Yes in addition to the big success of the switch which also plays almost all Japanese games. Switch 2 will be able to play all so a ps handheld is not needed anymore.

reinking

Gold Member
Car Player GIF by nog

...I want one.

nial

No.
in addition to the big success of the switch
Wow, you figured it out.
As much as they were in 2001 when they started development on PSP?
Nintendo hoped to sell 1.1 million Game Boy Advance units by the end of March with the system's Japanese debut, and anticipated sales of 24 million units before the end of 2001; many marketing analysts believed this to be a realistic goal due to the company's lack of major competition in the handheld video game market.[61] Within the first week of its North American launch in June, the Game Boy Advance sold 500,000 units, making it the fastest-selling video game console in the United States at the time. In response to strong sales, Nintendo ordered 100,000 units to ship to retail stores, hoping to ship another half million of them by the end of June.[62] The Game Boy Advance also became the fastest-selling system in the United Kingdom, selling 81,000 units in its first week of release and beating the PlayStation 2's previous record of 20,000 units.[63]

Last edited:

nial

They wont see land anywhere against switch in addition to pc handhelds. This will lose them money like most stupid decisions recently.
Very bold assumptions over a simple rumor, but it will 100% outsell every PC handheld combined, so...

A PS6 handheld that can auto-scale PS6-setting games to a handheld mode, play PS5 & PS4 games natively, and stream PS6 games that don't scale down (auto or manual) well is a better idea, but wouldn't release until 2027 at earliest.

So a new PS portable that's basically a PS4 Portable, natively playing all PS4 games maybe with quasi-PS4 Pro settings, and stream PS5 games, could work for now in theory. But at what price point? The PS Portal is already $199; without a price drop there this device would probably be at least $349 or $399.

At that point, considering it'd be limited to native PS4 games and streaming PS5 games, devices like Steam Deck and Switch 2 would look like better value for that same money. In Steam Deck's case, because it's getting current-gen releases (PS4 mostly isn't) and SIE already have a lot of their own games already on PC/Steam. In Switch 2's case, it'll be getting a lot of current-gen games plus Nintendo's own exclusives.

The prime window for a PS4 Pro IMHO was probably in 2022 or 2023 at latest. With the way things are now, I think it's redundant and SIE are better off focusing on a portable sharing PS6 tech, that is extremely easy for devs to scale settings down to (or can auto-scale settings itself with assistance of AI-like custom features), and launches around or slightly ahead of the PS6. That presents a much better window of opportunity.

If anything, for right now they could just focus on getting PS Portal supply better, work on local PS1, PS2, PSP, Vita and (hopefully) PS3 emulation for PS5, and maybe release an upgraded Portal that can natively play PS1, 2, PSP & Vita games, stream PS3, PS4 & PS5 games, and do cloud streaming of PS5 games in addition to Remote Play. That's the better short/mid-term solution for them in the portable space vs. a handheld that natively plays PS4 games.

At least, that is how I see the best approach being.

Last edited:

Three

I’ll buy any handheld, but it doesn’t really make sense.

The Steam Deck will have hoovered up any PC players that want to play PS games, so they’ve already got a diminished market.

Would need new games.

Skeptical.
The steamdeck is at 5M if their lucky. That's not hoovering up anything if you're being honest. The point is the same as the steamdeck. Much like Steam PS users also have a big library of games and new releases that they might want to play on a portable too.

Last edited:

yurinka

This will be Sony's Steamdeck to play there the games from Sony's PC PSN store.

And at the same time, the PS Player successor for the next gen generation, the PS6 remote player. But now also featuring cloud gaming and native PC games.

They won't need to make exclusive games or ports for it, which was the main issuue Sony had wiht PSP or Vita. As in Steamdeck, it will just run PC games and devs will only need to select a default settings configuration for the device.

It will be the best selling PC handheld.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Did they ever share the sales figure of the Portal?
Do they have to? It was sold out for months so it did better than Sony's estimations (or they would have stocked more) so isn't a flop regardless of numbers. A flop is something that sells below sales estimations, they could have estimated 500k lifetime for all you know.

So is that a yes then? Same people?

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Too little too late. Just like consoles, locked down handhelds have been made redundant by the open PC landscape. Even with great performance at $399, I'd still stick with what's already available.
Not that I even want Sony to make a handheld... but this has got to be the most myopic view I have read in a while.

So like let's just pretend that the Switch doesn't exist? And even more, let's continue living in that bubble that thinks the Steam Deck and Co have sales that are anywhere near mainstream respectable.

I think people would be surprised if they took a step back and looked at how many "open PC handhelds" have sold since the Steam Deck came to market.

A PS6 handheld that can auto-scale PS6-setting games to a handheld mode, play PS5 & PS4 games natively, and stream PS6 games that don't scale down (auto or manual) well is a better idea, but wouldn't release until 2027 at earliest.

So a new PS portable that's basically a PS4 Portable, natively playing all PS4 games maybe with quasi-PS4 Pro settings, and stream PS5 games, could work for now in theory. But at what price point? The PS Portal is already $199; without a price drop there this device would probably be at least $349 or $399.

At that point, considering it'd be limited to native PS4 games and streaming PS5 games, devices like Steam Deck and Switch 2 would look like better value for that same money. In Steam Deck's case, because it's getting current-gen releases (PS4 mostly isn't) and SIE already have a lot of their own games already on PC/Steam. In Switch 2's case, it'll be getting a lot of current-gen games plus Nintendo's own exclusives.

The prime window for a PS4 Pro IMHO was probably in 2022 or 2023 at latest. With the way things are now, I think it's redundant and SIE are better off focusing on a portable sharing PS6 tech, that is extremely easy for devs to scale settings down to (or can auto-scale settings itself with assistance of AI-like custom features), and launches around or slightly ahead of the PS6. That presents a much better window of opportunity.

If anything, for right now they could just focus on getting PS Portal supply better, work on local PS1, PS2, PSP, Vita and (hopefully) PS3 emulation for PS5, and maybe release an upgraded Portal that can natively play PS1, 2, PSP & Vita games, stream PS3, PS4 & PS5 games, and do cloud streaming of PS5 games in addition to Remote Play. That's the better short/mid-term solution for them in the portable space vs. a handheld that natively plays PS4 games.

At least, that is how I see the best approach being.

I don't think I've seen a single poster have their quality of posts fall as hard as yours.

There isn't going to be a PS6 capable handle at anytime in the near future. The Switch already an expensive handheld at release (after the PS4/X1 launched) was closer in power to the PS3.

Sony can't cut the price of the PS5, but you think they could release a PS6 quality handheld for 400 dollars? Dude, are you okay?

Again with you and streaming. This device would run PS4 games natively and scaled down PS5 games. Sure it can do streaming too, because why not, but that's not the primary method of playing games.

There are barely any handhelds now that are PS4 powered and the window is still there, because once again 90% of games this generation are cross gen. The best selling games are cross gen. Meaning pretty much everything works day 1. It's the same theory with the PS5 Pro and why they didn't put more money into CPU and focused on GPU. The GPU is the restrictive component in 95% of games not the CPU. Having all PS4 games play means that you only need to patch a handful of PS5 games scaling them down for performance on the handheld and future games know what they need to do in order to work on the PS Handheld or a developer can opt to make the PS4 version.

No one in the market actually cares about emulating PS1-3 games. Only a vocal minority on the internet and honestly these people also really don't care.

This is even worse than your PSVR2 streaming take.

GHound

Having a handheld would be good for Japanese and other Asian markets. Not letting Karen from San Mateo fuck with devs would also be good for Japanese, other Asian markets and really all markets period.

Last edited:

old-parts

Will it come with a disc drive?
Optical media is on its death bed so I suspect definitely not, its too bulky and noisy for a handheld.

It's most likely a Steam Deck alternative, it can run PS4 digital games as a way to boost its library and along with new titles ported to it but not all PS5 titles. Emulation/porting must be minimal effort for this to be viable so it could be an x86 handheld.

The purpose of the Steam Deck is to give you a taste of Steam it doesnt have to run everything, if you want more you go buy a PC or in Sony's case a PS5. Thats the logic to it whether it also works for Sony only time will tell.

Last edited:

midnightAI

I don't think I've seen a single poster have their quality of posts fall as hard as yours.

There isn't going to be a PS6 capable handle at anytime in the near future. The Switch already an expensive handheld at release (after the PS4/X1 launched) was closer in power to the PS3.

Sony can't cut the price of the PS5, but you think they could release a PS6 quality handheld for 400 dollars? Dude, are you okay?

Again with you and streaming. This device would run PS4 games natively and scaled down PS5 games. Sure it can do streaming too, because why not, but that's not the primary method of playing games.

There are barely any handhelds now that are PS4 powered and the window is still there, because once again 90% of games this generation are cross gen. The best selling games are cross gen. Meaning pretty much everything works day 1. It's the same theory with the PS5 Pro and why they didn't put more money into CPU and focused on GPU. The GPU is the restrictive component in 95% of games not the CPU. Having all PS4 games play means that you only need to patch a handful of PS5 games scaling them down for performance on the handheld and future games know what they need to do in order to work on the PS Handheld or a developer can opt to make the PS4 version.

No one in the market actually cares about emulating PS1-3 games. Only a vocal minority on the internet and honestly these people also really don't care.

While I agree with the majority of your post, he is right about streaming, this will be a PS4 Pro level device with streaming for PS5/Pro and beyond.

If developers haven't made a PS4 version of a game and only PS5, a cut down version is then a PS4 version so why would they spend time making a cut down PS5 version for a handheld when they could just stream it?

I suspect heavily that the Portal is a testbed to guage interest in PS5 streaming to see how it's audience takes to the idea of it. The addition of ram, PS4Pro level APU, storage etc shouldnt add more than £150 to the £200 for the current Portal, to £300-£350 is possible which is in Switch territory.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
While I agree with the majority of your post, he is right about streaming, this will be a PS4 Pro level device with streaming for PS5/Pro and beyond.

If developers haven't made a PS4 version of a game and only PS5, a cut down version is then a PS4 version so why would they spend time making a cut down PS5 version for a handheld when they could just stream it?

I suspect heavily that the Portal is a testbed to guage interest in PS5 streaming to see how it's audience takes to the idea of it. The addition of ram, PS4Pro level APU, storage etc shouldnt add more than £150 to the £200 for the current Portal, to £300-£350 is possible which is in Switch territory.
With 720p screens and good AA they could get very good graphics and battery life as well as high quality streaming from PSNow and PS5 consoles (apply downsampling AA before streaming a 720p feed).

midnightAI

With 720p screens and good AA they could get very good graphics and battery life as well as high quality streaming from PSNow and PS5 consoles (apply downsampling AA before streaming a 720p feed).
Well no doubt it will be 1080p screen like Portal, 720p is a bit low, and 1080p stream is fine on Portal also, I get it from a battery point of view, but they could double the battery size of the Portal without sacrificing too much weight, it would just cost a bit more.

The general problem with your premise is in the assumption that developers have made a PS4 version of a game in the first place or that they will continue to do so moving forward. You already have examples of games now that aren't built for PS4.

As for why streaming isn't the answer, it's because streaming doesn't work out in a multitude of cases in which you'd want to use a handheld gaming system, many of those cases being while in transit.

As more games become PS5 only or PS5 cross gen with PS6, you'll want a device that can play these games offline. PS4 as a base is a fine starting to point, because currently ~90% of games are crossgen, but in 2-3 years that probably won't be the case as games cease supporting PS4. A handheld with the equivalent power of PS4 Pro with PSSR could certainly play stepped down versions of PS5 games natively, and that would be the goal here.

If the portal was really a large scale solution, you would have seen them really ramp up production of it. They know it isn't. The demand is higher than supply, but the supply was never that large to begin with. Those early supply issues are largely over now as well.

If you released this say in 2026 or 2027 and want at least a 5 year lifespan, PS4 native and streaming alone isn't going to cut it. This product is going to be minimum 400 dollars.

midnightAI

The general problem with your premise is in the assumption that developers have made a PS4 version of a game in the first place or that they will continue to do so moving forward. You already have examples of games now that aren't built for PS4.

As for why streaming isn't the answer, it's because streaming doesn't work out in a multitude of cases in which you'd want to use a handheld gaming system, many of those cases being while in transit.

As more games become PS5 only or PS5 cross gen with PS6, you'll want a device that can play these games offline. PS4 as a base is a fine starting to point, because currently ~90% of games are crossgen, but in 2-3 years that probably won't be the case as games cease supporting PS4. A handheld with the equivalent power of PS4 Pro with PSSR could certainly play stepped down versions of PS5 games natively, and that would be the goal here.

If the portal was really a large scale solution, you would have seen them really ramp up production of it. They know it isn't. The demand is higher than supply, but the supply was never that large to begin with. Those early supply issues are largely over now as well.

If you released this say in 2026 or 2027 and want at least a 5 year lifespan, PS4 native and streaming alone isn't going to cut it. This product is going to be minimum 400 dollars.
But the issue you will have with your solution is getting third party Devs to support the thing never mind Sony even supporting it. That's what kills almost every hardware Sony makes that fails, lack of support after launch. The solution of a PS4 handheld with forward compatibility via streaming is that no extra work is needed at all from the developers other than making PS4 games (loads of Devs are still making those and could continue to do so) they have the devkits so no additional purchase of new devkits and so they can continue to make PS4 Pro powered games even if they do want to support this handheld and not release on the PS4 (even though they may as well seeing as it's the same game)

They aren't going to go head to head directly with Nintendo again, the way I see it is a legacy handheld (PS4 games) + streaming, time will tell if this is even a thing but we'll find out when we find out.

But the issue you will have with your solution is getting third party Devs to support the thing never mind Sony even supporting it. That's what kills almost every hardware Sony makes that fails, lack of support after launch.

Except that the platform shares the same games, ensuring support. Your mistake here is in thinking that developers are going to be making unique games specifically for the platform rather than a scaled down version of the same game. Sony can also mandate that future games support the PS5 handheld for certification, just as they do for PS5 Pro. The current existing PS5 only games are almost entirely Sony games, with a few exceptions.

The solution of a PS4 handheld with forward compatibility via streaming is that no extra work is needed at all from the developers other than making PS4 games (loads of Devs are still making those and could continue to do so) they have the devkits so no additional purchase of new devkits and so they can continue to make PS4 Pro powered games even if they do want to support this handheld and not release on the PS4 (even though they may as well seeing as it's the same game)

No one is paying 400+ for a streaming device and that's all it would be in a couple years if it ONLY played PS4 titles without streaming.

They aren't going to go head to head directly with Nintendo again, the way I see it is a legacy handheld (PS4 games) + streaming, time will tell if this is even a thing but we'll find out when we find out.

You're working backwards from a conclusion which is the biggest mistake you can make when doing analysis. Your conclusion is wrong and thus the equation you're working to to get to that conclusion is also wrong.

midnightAI

Except that the platform shares the same games, ensuring support. Your mistake here is in thinking that developers are going to be making unique games specifically for the platform rather than a scaled down version of the same game. Sony can also mandate that future games support the PS5 handheld for certification, just as they do for PS5 Pro. The current existing PS5 only games are almost entirely Sony games, with a few exceptions.

No one is paying 400+ for a streaming device and that's all it would be in a couple years if it ONLY played PS4 titles without streaming.

You're working backwards from a conclusion which is the biggest mistake you can make when doing analysis. Your conclusion is wrong and thus the equation you're working to to get to that conclusion is also wrong.
You see, this is where I think our differences lie, what you think this device will be is a PSP 2 or a Vita 2. I don't think this is what they are making, I think they are making a Portal Pro. I don't think it will be £400+, more like £300 to £350 also.

To do these PS5 lite patches you still need Dev support, also you are getting into the realms of Series S/X issues of can't fully exploit X due to S

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Well no doubt it will be 1080p screen like Portal, 720p is a bit low, and 1080p stream is fine on Portal also, I get it from a battery point of view, but they could double the battery size of the Portal without sacrificing too much weight, it would just cost a bit more.
Judging from the Steam Deck at 800p, it is plenty good if you throw good AA at it. Resolution increases are madly madly more expensive and you still never ever make AA useless at eliminating noise.

There is so so so much to gain at 720p over 1080p for a portable that I honestly think it is a self own to push for higher resolutions (unless you spend most of the time reading very fine text and hate even a tiny little speck of aliasing).

midnightAI

Judging from the Steam Deck at 800p, it is plenty good if you throw good AA at it. Resolution increases are madly madly more expensive and you still never ever make AA useless at eliminating noise.

There is so so so much to gain at 720p over 1080p for a portable that I honestly think it is a self own to push for higher resolutions (unless you spend most of the time reading very fine text and hate even a tiny little speck of aliasing).
Well for streaming it isn't much more expensive other than bandwidth and like I said, for Portal it's fine. For native games there is nothing stopping the Devs from targeting a lower internal resolution and then outputting at 1080p, like many games already do. All you are really doing is saving on the cost of the display.

Dang did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed to type this or what? 🤣

Okay, let me break it down for you, piece by piece.

There isn't going to be a PS6 capable handle at anytime in the near future.

I didn't say a PS6-capable handheld. I said a handheld based on PS6 technology. A derivative of the PS6. Sharing same architectural features, but (obviously) pared down in total amount of certain resources like GPU shaders, RAM, RAM bandwidth etc.

If you haven't been paying attention, SIE have this thing called PSSR for the PS5 Pro, that they're gonna improve in the future. Stuff like that would be key to a new handheld based on PS6 tech.

The Switch already an expensive handheld at release (after the PS4/X1 launched) was closer in power to the PS3.

That's Nintendo; they had a disaster in the Wii U and 3DS kind of underperformed. They were more conservative than usual with pushing for their follow-up. Nvidia were the only company with a product at the time that could meet their needs at a good cost. In fact, what they had was better for the price than what Nintendo were cooking up for a 3DS successor up to that point.

Nintendo are not SIE. They have different approaches to designing hardware at a target MSRP. Don't know why you're bringing them up :/

Again, not a PS6-level handheld? A new handheld based on PS6 technologies. It'd have a more modern feature-set than the PS5, even if things like TF and RAM bandwidth would be much less than a PS6 proper.

How did you not gleam this from my post?

I'm sure this rumored PS4-based handheld would do streaming. My question is, what is the business sense in doing it now, versus saving the native-play handheld effort for next gen?

I was one of those folks kicking up the idea of a PS4 handheld like a year or so ago, you can find posts of mine talking about it going that far back. However, that was under the assumption of certain other things. A lot of SIE's own 1P titles have been ported to PC since then, and there's the chance that will continue with even greater frequency going forward. Maybe even Day 1. I don't think that would be a smart decision on SIE's part, but I've said why plenty of times before plus that's a different topic somewhat.

Anyway, you have them and those PC ports; you have 3P who have ported many of their own PS4 games to PC. The PS4 itself isn't getting a lot of new games anymore outside of the rare cross-gen effort here or there. The combination of those things already kind of limits what a new handheld focused on natively playing PS4 games could bring to the market.

Again I ask you and everyone: what is the value proposition of a new SIE handheld that can natively play PS4 games, going to be in a 2024/2025-beyond market where Steam Deck (& Steam Deck 2) and Switch 2 exist? Considering it's, 1: not getting a lot of new current-gen releases, and 2: doesn't have a large library of exclusive games to access for convenience of portability (since so many 3P games are on PC now and therefore compatible with Steam Deck, not to mention almost all of SIE's PS4-era 1P games are on Steam now too)?

Who can answer that question in a way that makes a PS4 handheld in today's market, make sense? If SIE hadn't ported most of their PS4 and PS5-era 1P games to PC, a PS4 Portable would've had more market appeal IMO to the hardcore/core gamers who'd make up most of the customers, because then they could play those exclusives on-the-go. The ability to stream PS5 games is the exact same value proposition argument the PS Portal already has going for it, and a PS4 Portable doing the same & more would surely cost a lot more.

Many of the big AAA games coming out now are NOT cross-gen, though. SIE's own 1P stopped being cross-gen with GOW Ragnarok; outside of the MLB games nothing else from them is cross-gen anymore. The big 3P AAA games are now solidly current-gen only: Alan Wake 2, Dragon's Dogma 2, the upcoming Star Wars and AssCreed games, GTA6, Dead Space, even smaller stuff like HiFi Rush are all current-gen only. The audience for cross-gen who are still buying those games on 8th-gen consoles, is not going to be the audience that gravitates to a PS4 Portable. Why would they? To play Fortnite or Apex Legends on-the-go? They either likely aren't interested enough, or already have another means to do that like a smartphone.

Ideally, the time for a PS4 Portable would've been at the start of this generation, not midway through. And I think especially in light of SIE's porting strategy to PC, among other things like them already having the PS Portal on the market, the optimal time for a PS4 Portable has passed. However, that doesn't mean they can't refocus the PS Portal into a more handheld/portable like device, and offer cloud streaming in addition to the Remote Play it already features. That just seems like the much better short & mid-term option for SIE here in the handheld/portable space.

Meanwhile, save the ambitions for a native handheld for the PS6 generation; a device that can (likely) natively play PS5 games (maybe with an attached dock) as well as PS4 games, scaled down versions of PS6 games natively, and native BC with PS1/2/3/PSP/Vita. The market would go crazy for that type of device; it could be counted with PS6 in SKU numbers, have clear points of differentiation, command a solid price and help with adoption in markets where home consoles aren't as strong.

I think some of you want SIE to jump into this "PC handheld revolution" or put out a new portable RIGHT NOW just so they're in the conversation. But to me it'd be a rushed decision and waste of time. The PS Portal is good enough for their handheld/portable needs right now. Just do a revision with a more proper handheld-like design, work on getting dedicated cloud gaming on the thing, get availability improved and just work on a PS6-based handheld in time for 10th-gen.

If Valve wants to release a Steam Deck 2 in the meantime, that's their thing. Nintendo's gonna push the Switch 2? Cool, it'll be a massive hit. Microsoft wants to put out an Xbox handheld before 2026? Fine. I hope they find success with it. Let these other companies do their thing and let SIE do what's best for them which, IMO, is a revision/availability increase for PS Portal in the short & mid-term, improving BC (and available titles) for PS1/2/3/PSP/Vita, and putting R&D towards a native PS6-based handheld in time for 10th-gen.

Besides IMO they need to do other things with the PS5 as-is. That'd include things like re-establishing some genuine exclusivity in software offerings, cutting the fat on some of the more expensive game budgets, increase volume of software output (such as with more internal AA titles), & finding novel ways to monetize the big AAA games (such as breaking them up into installments releasable in 2-3 year intervals). Additionally, finding ways to address software prices (such as a per-game subscription/installment payment option on the store), finding ways to balance online play between console & PC for GAAS titles (either make online free on console again or give console players perks for buying GAAS titles on console), and more. They also have to focus on the impending PS5 Pro.

And somehow people are saying SIE should have yet ANOTHER somewhat-pricey gaming device on the market simultaneously in addition to PS5, PS5 Pro, PSVR2, and PS Portal? What are we asking for here, mid-'90s SEGA?

I care. I still play a lot of PS1 and 2 games on the regular. It's also worth doing because game preservation is kind of important. And, better for SIE to handle their own preservation than let outsiders run amuck doing it for them (often in nebulous ways, and for a platform that is definitely not PlayStation hardware in terms of benefiting from those emulation/preservation efforts).

You lot need to stop thinking something isn't worth pursuing just because it's a more dedicated niche. It'd also appear SIE disagrees with you going by some recent job listings ;)

So SIE giving console owners of their $549 VR headset that's seen native ports dry up, and hardware sales also dry up, in the span of only a year, a reason to get more use out of their $549 and not make them feel like they paid the cost of a console for a briefly supported add-on, is a bad idea?

Yeah, I'm sure SEGA probably felt very similar towards those SEGA CD and 32X owners as they were about to drop them like a hot potato to bring out their own even-more-expensive hardware of the time. We should ask them how that worked out for the Saturn 😁👍.

And yes, I've brought up SEGA a couple times throughout this, but unlike with you & Nintendo, my reason has purpose: it's to show the parallel in scenarios despite time separating them so greatly. In my case, also to serve as cautionary tales of perhaps what NOT to do as a platform holder at these key timeline moments.

After all if you don't learn from history, you're doomed to repeat it. Microsoft knows a little about that when it comes to gaming 😬.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I’m appalled that there are people on a gaming forum proposing parity with PS5 or even scale down PS6 titles on a handheld device. Not everyone has to be a tech head but, c’mon… get a grip!

I am only suggesting a way to make a successful handheld/console platform

I am indifferent. I primarily play on console. But the market is changing and I think Sony may sacrifice some high end in order to have a more scalable hardware approach,

vkbest

This will be Sony's Steamdeck to play there the games from Sony's PC PSN store.

And at the same time, the PS Player successor for the next gen generation, the PS6 remote player. But now also featuring cloud gaming and native PC games.

They won't need to make exclusive games or ports for it, which was the main issuue Sony had wiht PSP or Vita. As in Steamdeck, it will just run PC games and devs will only need to select a default settings configuration for the device.

It will be the best selling PC handheld.
Only a PC delusional person could write this. Even if Sony is in dumbest mode, I can’t see how they could compete with Steam deck with a non existent catalog making a PC handheld machine, instead making a PS5 portable.

Last edited:

Audiophile

I'd like an actual handheld that can go in a large coat pocket rather than these giant things everyone's doing now that need a bag to be lugged around.

Maybe 5-10% larger than Vita at most, with a screen pushed out close to the edge and near bezel-less, perhaps coming in close to 6" for the display. There's nothing out there really providing newer titles or relatively modern hardware in a traditional handheld form factor. I know some folks think it might be backwards to go smaller but it's a distinct corner of this market that's basically empty.

I think PS Plus should be broken down in a modular way and proper BC for PS1/PS2/PSP OG/PSVita as well as native PS4 support provided with mini add-ons to your plan to access full libraries of each.

What they could do is create the all-new "PSP" line.

What I mentioned above would be the "PlayStation Pocket" - effectively a modern version of the Vita, then they could have the all-new "PlayStation Portable" which will effectively be a revised Portal form factor with the Pocket hardware comfortably integrated in to the rear + a bigger battery; but they'll both be the same platform, then finally under the moniker would be a refreshed "PlayStation Portal" with some optimisations and an OLED display.

PlayStation Pocket / PlayStation Portable:

Local Play: PS1, PS2, PS4, PSP OG & PSVita + Native Titles

Streaming Play: PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PS5, PSP OG & PSVita + Native Titles

Remote Play: via PS4, PS5 & PS6

Direct Play: Wireless Local Multiplayer between PlayStation Portable/Pocket devices, Portals could also join in with the game hosted on a Portable/Pocket.

Add a barebones Android sandbox too so folks can play mobile stuff. Linux sandbox would be nice too, but they probably won't because of security.

1088p OLED Display with VRR, LPDDR5X on a 192-Bit bus to cover PS4 bandwidth requirements by default.

Primarily digital, but dual SD slot for both extended storage and BC with physical Vita cards and select native, new titles.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Wouldn’t this be quite challenging if it actually used the PS4’s x86 architecture? It’d be wasting a lot of energy and battery life for a portable.

Audiophile

Totally talking out of my arse here, but I suspect a decent ARM chip could emulate a low-end Jaguar CPU at this point given what we're seeing recently (though whether Sony would put the work in I doubt), the PS5 GPU could be cut in half, stripped down and clocked down low and LPDDR5X on a 192-Bit bus would get you over the base PS4 bandwidth hump. Again, just a shot in the dark...

Referring back to my split approach suggestion above, the 'Pocket' could be the equivalent of a base PS4 with a low clocked CPU, an 18CU low-clock GPU and LPDDR5X, then the larger Portal-sized 'Portable' could be the equivalent of a PS4 Pro with a higher clocked CPU, a 36CU higher-clock GPU and LPDDR6 (or a larger bus).

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Well for streaming it isn't much more expensive other than bandwidth and like I said, for Portal it's fine. For native games there is nothing stopping the Devs from targeting a lower internal resolution and then outputting at 1080p, like many games already do. All you are really doing is saving on the cost of the display.
It is lower quality to upscale than to target native resolutions (thinking about letting the display to upscale), these are not the analog displays of old. Yes, DLSS and all, fine, thought that below 1080p base resolution they are less magical but even then… if you can upscale to 1080p you can upscale to 720p.

Rendering at native 720p with AA gives you sharpest and most stable output too. We are free to throw performance and battery power away too. 1080p screen is also more expensive (especially battery wise) to run at refresh rates over 60 Hz and to light up with bright HDR displays… they cost more too.

720p is perfect for 6-7’’ displays.

midnightAI

It is lower quality to upscale than to target native resolutions (thinking about letting the display to upscale), these are not the analog displays of old. Yes, DLSS and all, fine, thought that below 1080p base resolution they are less magical but even then… if you can upscale to 1080p you can upscale to 720p.

Rendering at native 720p with AA gives you sharpest and most stable output too. We are free to throw performance and battery power away too. 1080p screen is also more expensive (especially battery wise) to run at refresh rates over 60 Hz and to light up with bright HDR displays… they cost more too.

720p is perfect for 6-7’’ displays.
Portal is 8", I seriously can't see them lowering the resolution or screen size from the Portal, in fact, unless they go OLED it will probably be the exact same display. But I've already explained in this thread what I personally think this device will be, literally a PS4 Pro level APU to play PS4 Pro games natively. A Portal Pro. But that's just my opinion based on an unsubstantiated rumour.

Top Bottom