• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Switch 2 Reportedly Delayed to 2025

Ozzie666

Switch keeps selling, Japan keeps buying software. Not a surprise. It's a dangerous game if they limp to the next generation like the last 2 years of the WII. They could lose so much momentum.

I guess they are hoping for bigger profit margins and growth with cheaper parts in 2025 as well. OLED from the start maybe? doubt it. There is also a chance they have no idea how to successfully move on from Switch, with the Wii-U still in the rear view mirror.

Announce some decent 2024 games please.

Good thing you are not Nintendo. Your strategy "fearing" a possible MS handheld is bonkers. Remember the "Switch killer" Steam deck? Asus and Lenovo have released their handhelds too. I don't see Nintendo losing sleep or markets being lost. It is maybe surpassing the PS2 in units sold this year

Can you walk me through the process of Sony taking Nintendo's market share in the console space?

It has no competition right now.

Gambit2483

Switch keeps selling, Japan keeps buying software. Not a surprise. It's a dangerous game if they limp to the next generation like the last 2 years of the WII. They could lose so much momentum.

I guess they are hoping for bigger profit margins and growth with cheaper parts in 2025 as well. OLED from the start maybe? doubt it. There is also a chance they have no idea how to successfully move on from Switch, with the Wii-U still in the rear view mirror.

Announce some decent 2024 games please.
I don't see how they can maintain momentum with Gamecube ports and filler titles but I guess we'll see. They really need to announce something within the next month or 2

Alan Wake

Not unlikely. Switch is still doing great, especially given how old it is. Why put a premature end to that. 2025 seems about right.

CS Lurker

"at the earliest"

giphy.webp

SALMORE

i don't mind a delay but i just want to see what it looks like & what it can do , maybe they'll reveal it at fall this year

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Dammit Nintendo! By the time you release the Switch 2, the T239 is gonna be so outdated.

This system better be no more than $350.

Cyberpunkd

Not unlikely. Switch is still doing great, especially given how old it is. Why put a premature end to that. 2025 seems about right.
To build enough user base and must have games by the time PlayStation 6 launches. If they launch now they are mostly unopposed, there is nothing else to buy.
Imagine people having to make decision between Switch 2 and PS6, you don’t want this as a business.

Also given enough technical power I can imagine a lot of games from PS5/XBS getting ported, will be much more difficult with next generation games.

nordique

So you believe they're going to release a system everyone can emulate at better quality on their smartphones/PC handhelds on day 1 again? I wonder if Nintendo would survive another generation of all their games being better played on other devices.

This is a silly take.

139 million+ sold. It's one of the most successful pieces of dedidicated gaming hardware ever

Despite being emulated better elsewhere day 1

Last edited:

nordique

Welp, that's a bummer. Only ~6 months later than expected though.

Hope Nintendo has something for Switch's last holiday, even if it's just ports/remakes.
Nintendo is probably sitting on some things. Remember they announced metroid dread same year it came out and dropped prime remaster the same day it was announced

Reactions: Isa

nbkicker

Let’s see what the next direct turns out to be cause if the next one is a partnership one instead of a Nintendo main one then I’m still thinking the switch 2 is coming this yr, although no game this yr coming for the switch is really a big hitter, only little remakes, no wonder I have started collected old retro consoles again, the state of current gaming is rubbish

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Going by release dates, Switch was released in March 2017. Isnt that too early in a year? Some people will probably just think skip getting a Switch at Xmas 2024, since Switch 2 would be Q1 2025.

But if you make it a traditional console launch like Q4 2025, then you avoid that issue and a bunch of laggards who will just get a Switch 1 in 2024.
It's the start of their fiscal year. It was literally the best time to the release

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's the start of their fiscal year. It was literally the best time to the release
Problem is that sometimes waiting too too long might have more and more of your customers flee to other platforms. One of the many problems with Wii U is that it got out sooo late, they waited too long after the Wii to launch their successor.

It almost feels like when they do get a product like the Wii or the Switch they are super afraid of releasing successors and this fear could lead them to make mistakes.

Marvel14

Banned
I'm going to highlight inline where you're full of shit or just nt tracking.
You're being overly aggressive over an effing console speculation chat. Maybe talk to someone about what's really bothering you before you post again.

Again games are scalable to this point where games systems from 10+ years ago can play games that are made today.
This is full of shit. The new Ratchet and Klank could not be made on a PS4 without a significant loss of gameplay fidelity. I agree that we are now at scaleability as far as pure graphics are concerned. But AI, Solid State drives, machine learning, processing speeds and other innovations will be able to do things with gameplay that cannot be replicated with fidelity by previous generations.
So you believe they're going to release a system everyone can emulate at better quality on their smartphones/PC handhelds on day 1 again? I wonder if Nintendo would survive another generation of all their games being better played on other devices.
No I don't...I think it needs to be one step ahead at least for its first 3 years. Still think it will be a portable PS4 + or Pro (delay gives me higher confidence of the latter).

I mean it's no big deal to go from Q4 2024 to Q1 2025

They make it sound like it's a full year delay....

It's like 4 months....

Who cares?

They would lose the holiday sales, that's it

Last edited:

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
I figure it's just a way to give the switch one last holiday to beat the DS and PS2 in sales, with how close it is I don't blame them.
I can see switch finishing around 164 Million units.

Go_Ly_Dow

Every new generation is a fresh battle to convince the current install base to make the jump. I think Switch to Switch 2 will be a lot easier than the Wii to Wii U and overall will be a huge success.

If it releases in the final quarter of this year it would be competing against the PS5 Pro and probably some big discounts for the regular PS5 and Xbox consoles. As well as a massive mount of high quality games on sale that have released in 2024 for these consoles.

If it releases in the 1st quarter of 2025 it may potentially be competing with one of the biggest game releases in the past decade or two with GTA6.

Personally I think the buzz around GTA6 would dampen the launch of the Switch 2 more than anything else.

So it's going to be interesting to see what they launch with the Switch 2 and how they try and entice people with the hardware. The competition and offering on other platforms is strong and going to get better. So they need a solid game plan.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Problem is that sometimes waiting too too long might have more and more of your customers flee to other platforms. One of the many problems with Wii U is that it got out sooo late, they waited too long after the Wii to launch their successor.

It almost feels like when they do get a product like the Wii or the Switch they are super afraid of releasing successors and this fear could lead them to make mistakes.
You're mixing stuff

The Wii U felt late because the Wii wasn't the biggest jump in graphics, and also felt like they didn't finish the real development. Even when was launched was clearly that was in a beta stage, slow and too clunky to be final release. That why a lot of people mentioned that the Switch is how the Wii U was supposed to be.

There's a huge chance the Switch 2 will be more of a Game Boy Color thing from the original Game Boy than other consoles, so apples and oranges here

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
You're mixing stuff

The Wii U felt late because the Wii wasn't the biggest jump in graphics, and also felt like they didn't finish the real development. Even when was launched was clearly that was in a beta stage, slow and too clunky to be final release. That why a lot of people mentioned that the Switch is how the Wii U was supposed to be.

There's a huge chance the Switch 2 will be more of a Game Boy Color thing from the original Game Boy than other consoles, so apples and oranges here
No, I am not mixing stuff. Wii U was a sequel to an incredibly popular product that grew bigger than Nintendo could even dream of and that they did not really know how to follow up to and tried to delay it as much as possible. Some of the audience that propelled the Wii had left by the time the Wii U came out and Wii was experiencing protracted software droughts.

I do not think the Wii audience came back completely with Switch either. Switch is an amazingly popular console but they have unified their console and handheld lines. DS + Wii was an even bigger total audience, Switch probably retains almost all their handheld users and a good chunk but not all of the Wii ones, not even close IMHO. I can agree to disagree on the proportions sure, but the global gist seems sound.

Switch perfected the idea of Wii U but cut the local co-op multiplayer across screens and MiiVerse too, sure, that is not hotly contested.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Lots of concern trolling here. Everyone knows a mobile device is not going to be in the realm of a ps5. No has ever said it will be in the realm of a ps5.

RAIDEN1

I was potentially looking forward to buying a Switch 2, thinking that might be the generation they revitalise F-Zero, but looks like the wait will continue

BoTW was meant to be a Wii U game though

It launched for both systems
Yeah. That’s sort of beside the point… but it wasn’t ready in time for holiday 2016. It was delayed out of 2016 in the spring and thus they held the Switch launch until it was ready so they had a killer launch game. Wii U was already commercially dead, and the vast majority of people who might have bought it for Wii U if they didn’t have any other option, opted to purchase a Switch alongside it instead.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Lots of concern trolling here. Everyone knows a mobile device is not going to be in the realm of a ps5. No has ever said it will be in the realm of a ps5.
The Matrix tech demo running on its hardware was claimed to run comparable to PS5/XBSX.

To build enough user base and must have games by the time PlayStation 6 launches. If they launch now they are mostly unopposed, there is nothing else to buy.
Imagine people having to make decision between Switch 2 and PS6, you don’t want this as a business.

Also given enough technical power I can imagine a lot of games from PS5/XBS getting ported, will be much more difficult with next generation games.

Switch 2 won't have enough power to port PS5 games without significant downgrades

Just like Switch wasn't really comparable to PS4 hardware

They will be lucky to port PS4 Pro quality games

Last edited:

popeutlal

The only Nintendo launch games for Switch 2 will be Metroid Prime 4 and a remake of F-Zero GX.

I know this because Nintendo works for my uncle.

conpfreak

Switch 2 won't have enough power to port PS5 games without significant downgrades

Just like Switch wasn't really comparable to PS4 hardware

They will be lucky to port PS4 Pro quality games

We heard the same thing when the Switch launched and yet it received numerous PS4 ports, some of which performed very well compared to other platforms. That probably going to be even less of an issue for Switch 2 due to the upscaling tech it will have available and the performance gap being smaller relative to assumed target resolutions.

We heard the same thing when the Switch launched and yet it received numerous PS4 ports, some of which performed very well compared to other platforms. That probably going to be even less of an issue for Switch 2 due to the upscaling tech it will have available and the performance gap being smaller relative to assumed target resolutions.

Third-party support for Switch is abysmal, Switch 2 won't change that

And they don't care as you buy a Nintendo console to play Nintendo games

Last edited:
Top Bottom