• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Warner Bros pitching to directors for live action Superman: Red Son movie

Den Of Geek link.

PLEASE NOTE: Den Of Geek UK has now confirmed with very, very, very reliable sources that this is not an animated movie that Warner Bros is looking into, but a live action one.

Here's the story...

A Twitter exchange between Mark Millar and director Jordan Vogt-Roberts has thrown up some intriguing news about Warner Bros’ plans for a Superman movie based on the Red Son limited run.

Red Son, just to set the scene, was a Superman comic book penned by Mark Millar, that posited what would have happened were Superman to have been raised in the Soviet Union. It was published back in 2003, and was widely acclaimed. We've no intention of spilling the full plot of it here, just to reiterate it's very, very worth seeking out.

That said, it’s not something that Warner Bros has been interested in making a movie out of (at least, there's been no public word as such). At least, it seems, until now.

The aforementioned exchange saw the brilliantly-bearded Kong: Skull Island director, Jordan Vogt-Roberts, reveal in his Twitter feed that he’d pitched a Red Son movie to Warner Bros “months ago”, arguing that “it’s the most punk rock thing the DCEU could do in my mind”.
Millar hasn’t been involved in the process (and when we chatted with him for the update at the bottom of the article, we got no sense at all that it's a project he's in any way interested in, not least given his extensive slate of other work), and his post was a response to Vogt-Roberts' Tweet.

The idea for a film is coming from Warner Bros itself.

It does suggest that Warner Bros is genuinely starting to spread its wings with the DC Extended Universe however, if it’s looking beyond fairly conventional Superman tales. It’s very, very early days, and it may all come to nothing. But an hour before I wrote this story, the idea that Warner Bros would even be considering a Red Son movie would be a very long shot. Now, it seems that it’s actively chatting to directors about it.
FURTHER UPDATE: We asked Mark Millar about the project, and have now heard back from him. We asked him if this was something definitely happening. "Is this something they're genuinely planning? I have no idea", he told us. "I've got pals at Warner Bros but never discussed it with them. I think they're just going through their back catalogue of big books and hoping to lure in good directors as opposed to any particular interest in developing Red Son".

"There's always 50 conversations for every comic book movie that gets made and as far as I know this is something that is very much just at conversation stage."

We’ll keep you posted as we hear more.

Some twitter posts at the link. Fun if it happens.

Top Bottom